Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

8 Days in Europe, land in Bru, out from Zrh

8 Days in Europe, land in Bru, out from Zrh

Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by rickg523
Here's the bones of a trip I've done before.
After a couple of days in Brussels, rented a car and drove to Bruges, about an hour away - stayed 2 nights. You won't need the car, so find a hotel with a garage (R&C Heritage Hotel for example).
Proceed to Reims, France, about 3 hours drive (direct via fastest route). Stayed 3 nights in Epernay. Toured Champagne area. I love driving in France so one day was just exploring back roads (drove the old French Grand Prix road course). You might opt for two nights.
Then drove to Mosel Valley in Germany via Luxembourg City. About 4 hours if you don't stop in Luxembourg for lunch. Give it 6 if you do.
Stayed 3 nights in the Mosel Valley - stay in Beilstein (Haus Lippmann), an intact medieval village; take the ferry to Traben-Trabach and back as a day trip; visit Cochem and Burg Elz the second day.
Return to Brussels via Liege the day before your flight to ZRH.
I had more time than you, and took the train to Amsterdam for a few days after the road trip, so adjust as needed. It's just a starting point for your trip. Have fun.
I'd love to experience this route, sounds absolutely amazing.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
You will have only 7 days to spend, and you are with kids. That means that it's probably a better idea to restrict your travel to a small area, rather than try to visit every single city of interest in the neighbourhood and rush it.
Yes. 100%

You can spend an entire day easily in Brussels alone. Another very beautiful city is Bruges, which you can reach by train or by renting a car (you will not need the car within the cities, so if possible use the train, unless it's cheaper for your family to just rent a car and park it somewhere).
as many other ppl have suggested, it looks like spending 1 or 2 day(s) in Brussels and 1 day in Bruges is a very popular opinion.

Antwerp or Amsterdam probably (of course antwerp is closer).
so which one? Je ne sais pas choisir... I'd love to go to Amsterdam, I've never been there, but, please please forgive me for asking this, is it a kids friendly (safe) place to visit? You know I mean (liberal and whatnot)? I'm probably being too overly concerned...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Speaking only English should generally not be a problem. In France they sometimes speak no english (or, rather, refuse to speak it out of pride) but this is less the case in Paris. I don't know about Belgium as I can speak my language there but generally I think they will speak English except maybe older people. In Holland virtually anyone speaks English.

In germany they also sometimes speak no English but at least they will be nicer to you than the French (sorry nothing against France but the people aren't always the nicest one has to admit !)
Thanks for your advice.

I was in Strasbourg 4 years ago, English wasn't an issue at all. However, it wasn't the case in Italy, people, even younger generations, can barely understand/speak any english, only some German tourists (a senior couple) we met in Rome spoke fluent English. That's why I thought Belgium might be like Italy because english is not the first language.

As far as I remember ppl in Paris, even the hotel staff, were like the way you described...nose in the air when you try to communicate in English. My french is very very basic... I'll probably get my neighbors to train me.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by Shanqx
Yes. 100%

as many other ppl have suggested, it looks like spending 1 or 2 day(s) in Brussels and 1 day in Bruges is a very popular opinion.

so which one? Je ne sais pas choisir... I'd love to go to Amsterdam, I've never been there, but, please please forgive me for asking this, is it a kids friendly (safe) place to visit? You know I mean (liberal and whatnot)? I'm probably being too overly concerned...
If Brussel is your base: As other already said; certainly do visit Brussel and Brugge. Would skip Antwerpen after visiting those two cities already and go for Amsterdam. In all those cities they are used to tourists and speak english.
Ieper is also very nice (World war I) to visit..however it might not of intrest of your childern

Don't worry about Amsterdam it's safe for kids imo. Although with a 2 and 8 year old you might skip that visit to the red light district in the evening or places like the bananenbar.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
I'm sorry, they are 2 and 8 years old.
For the 2 year old, it probably does not matter where you go, but for an 8 year old, Paris and Eurodisney are definitely interesting places. If you go there don't stay at the Disney resorts, they are way too expensive. Stay at a hotel near a RER A station either in downtown Paris or between Disney and Paris (e.g. Novotel at Noisy-le-Grand) to have quicker acces to the park.

By the way, have you already bought the ticket? Couldn't you do an open jaw between Brussels and Zurich? Then you could take direct TGV from Paris to Zurich.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarLim
For the 2 year old, it probably does not matter where you go, but for an 8 year old, Paris and Eurodisney are definitely interesting places.
Very true. We have been to Disney world in Orlando,FL, twice, 3-4 days each time, and the Disneyland in Hongkong multiple times as well. Is there a big difference in Eurodisney? Is one day enough?

If you go there don't stay at the Disney resorts, they are way too expensive. Stay at a hotel near a RER A station either in downtown Paris or between Disney and Paris (e.g. Novotel at Noisy-le-Grand) to have quicker acces to the park.
I know, they are expensive, doesn't matter which one...what can you do...kids love them

By the way, have you already bought the ticket? Couldn't you do an open jaw between Brussels and Zurich? Then you could take direct TGV from Paris to Zurich.
Unfortunately, we have purchased (redeemed actually) the tickets. They're award tickets from Aeroplan (Air Canada). I highly doubt we can make an open jaw, ticketing rules.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
We have been to Disney world in Orlando,FL, twice, 3-4 days each time, and the Disneyland in Hongkong multiple times as well. Is there a big difference in Eurodisney? Is one day enough?
It's pretty much the same as Orlando. For me one day is enough but kids could certainly stay longer.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+

Like all northwestern european cities Amsterdam is very safe. The only threat are the pickpockets like in any other city.

As you are with family you don't need to be informed of the dangers of certain drugs as I assume you won't be taking any

There is a direct Thalys train line amsterdam - brussels - paris. It is a bit expensive if you dont book beforehand though. There is also a regular train amsterdam-brussels which takes slightly longer but is cheaper.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm doing something similar in December. I'm planning on two nights in Brussels, two nights in Paris, one night in Lyon and one night in Luxemborg. Paris is extremely easy to get to from Brussels via train and using BRU as your base you can fly to a lot of places in western Europe.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
My french is very very basic... I'll probably get my neighbors to train me.
I recently experienced in France the situation, where waiters would talk to me in English rather than French because I didn't speak French with group I was dining with.

Another question (I might simply have missed it): When are you actually traveling? A lot of advice only applies to certain season of the year. E.G. I wouldn't go to Disneyworld in December, but would definitely head to Aachen and Strasbourg for the Christmas markets.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I recently experienced in France the situation, where waiters would talk to me in English rather than French because I didn't speak French with group I was dining with.

Another question (I might simply have missed it): When are you actually traveling? A lot of advice only applies to certain season of the year. E.G. I wouldn't go to Disneyworld in December, but would definitely head to Aachen and Strasbourg for the Christmas markets.
Aug 2017
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Aug 2017
If it's good weather you could also go to the beach (provided that this is not something you can easily do at home).

The Belgian coast is terrible (it's all concrete, ugly buildings etc.) but you could drive to the coast of Normandy, or the other way to the Dutch coast. Cadzand-Bad for example in the south of holland (incidentally in the region where I grew up myself), or Domburg, Renesse etc. The water is very calm and it's fun for children and safe. However for most people not adjusted to cold water, the water is too cold to swim.
If you would do that then you would need a car.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

You would, of course, avoid the red light district. Other than that, as others have said, no problem with kids in Amsterdam. It's a beautiful city. But I'd choose Paris, there's just more there that kids will be interested in.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Amsterdam is fine for children. Places I wouldn't go with kids: the red light district side streets (with the prostitutes in the windows); the Anne Frank house; the central Rembrandtplein and Leidseplein areas late at night on a party night because they're crowded and noisy. Mind you a 2 year old will be in bed by then.

Everywhere else is fine: restaurants, cafes, museums, shopping streets, boat canal tours, the zoo, etc.

It's hardly some sort of city-wide re-enactment of Caligula !

Meanwhile based in Brussels, places I might go include:
Brussels itself: history, beer, food, funky modernist things like the Atomium, etc.
Bruges: Smaller, more historic, easy on the train.
Paris: if you like it, if you haven't been before you can take in the sights. In August it will be hot and quiet as most Parisians go south, but avoid the first and last days of August as everyone is in transit and all transport is maxed out. Major things will be open, smaller shops may well be closed.
Luxembourg: Nice place to walk around, somewhat twee and plushly rich but with history and also food.
Cologne is a possibility - also historic, but also modern, the cathedral is great.
London: 2.5 hours by Eurostar, book early for cheap deals.

Consider day trips from Brussels for a few days then train Brussels-Paris-Geneva-Zurich (with stopovers) instead of flying.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
In August it will be hot and quiet as most Parisians go south, but avoid the first and last days of August as everyone is in transit and all transport is maxed out. Major things will be open, smaller shops may well be closed.
My date is going to be Aug 5-7 (+/-1 day). Bad timing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.