Wiki Posts
Search

Central Europe during Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Central Europe during Christmas

Trying to figure out what we want to do for our short late-December jaunt across the pond.

Here is what is set:

-Flights arrive at ZRH Mon Dec 26 and depart ZRH Mon Jan 2.
-We will be in Prague Dec 30th - Jan 1st.

Up for debate:

-What do we do Dec 26 - Dec 30? Originally planned on flying to Vienna then a train to Prague before flying back to ZRH. Now thinking about brief trips to Lucern, Bern, Basel, Innsbruck, and/or Salzburg via train on our way to Prague and saving Vienna for another trip.

Things we like to see:
-Christmas markets (most seem to be closed in Switzerland already and not that great)
-Alps / Pretty Scenery
-Craft Beer

Things we do not want to do: Ski & Spend Ungodly Sums of Money

We have been all over eastern, northern, and western europe (Eastern is our favorite for the quarky vibe)...but we have never been to central europe (with the exception of Munich.)

Any opinions FT?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
The market in Alsace's Colmar keeps on going until the 31 of Dec. http://www.noel-colmar.com/en/ It's really not that far from Zurich.

Zürich has a couple of interesting craft beer places. There's the International Beer Bar, Erstbierschof, and Fork and Bottle to name three.

Luzern is a beautiful place. Highly recommended. I always enjoy going there. And I just live a quick train ride away.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Several of the Vienna Christmas markets turn into New Years markets the last week of the year. I haven't been to them, but might be worth looking into. Plus it's just a great city if you haven't been there.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by pgh234
Things we do not want to do: Ski & Spend Ungodly Sums of Money
Probably won't be snow yet anyway, if the last years are to go by

Zurich can get very, very grey in December due to the lake so be prepared to head up the mountains to escape the fog.

I'd be tempted to spend some time in Triesenberg or Malbun in Liechtenstein. Gorgeous, easily accessible, cheap-ish - including the transport up the mountains which is by Postbus, so dirt cheap compared to the Swiss mountain railways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.