Search

Lower prices in Turkey?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by escape4
To be honest, I find it hard to believe that free market forces would not eventually have an impact over time so perhaps you are a bit too strong with your use of the word "never". This would be equivalent to all hotels raising prices 20% all at once overnight and all of them enjoying higher profits. Someone is bound to reduce prices, for example by 10%, and get a greater volume of customers as a result at still profitable prices, even better prices than before the currency crash. Then others start to follow to avoid losing customers and soon you have a perfect example of competitive market dynamics if and when it happens.
Services that are aimed primarily at foreign tourists and business travelers tend to quickly have their prices adjusted upward in nomina terms at the very least when the local currency takes a bad beating.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Services that are aimed primarily at foreign tourists and business travelers tend to quickly have their prices adjusted upward in nomina terms at the very least when the local currency takes a bad beating.
This dovetails with what I’ve experienced. We were hoping for some bargain basement pricees at luxury resorts, but as mentioned above any place we’d stay seems to be priced in euro (although you ultimately pay in lira) so there don’t appear to be any deals, at least not among the bigger names.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by karenkay

This dovetails with what I’ve experienced. We were hoping for some bargain basement pricees at luxury resorts, but as mentioned above any place we’d stay seems to be priced in euro (although you ultimately pay in lira) so there don’t appear to be any deals, at least not among the bigger names.
Tourists in Istanbul, taking advantage of the lira’s collapse.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkkcE-zX0AI3X-z.jpg

I'm still waiting for the lodging industry to adjust prices. Maybe by 2035.
escape4 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:16 pm

The lira regained about 8% yesterday against the US$. Do you really believe that any business in Turkey will adjust prices up and down that fast?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...and, as been stated upthread, any place that deals mostly with tourists will peg their prices to EUR.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Turkish Airlines did this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
When Turkish Airlines will be buying their fuel in USD, paying their navigation charges in USD and EUR, buying their aircraft and parts in EUR and USD, and paying their landing charges in EUR, USD and other currencies, there's not a lot left to pay less value in Lira for. Even if they decided to pass on their savings, it would be only a few percent of a typical airfare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.