Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Short trips from Krakow

Short trips from Krakow

Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Short trips from Krakow

As I received such good suggestions to a similiar question about Warsaw, I am asking the same question about Krakow which I'll be visiting for 5 days in July.

Are there any places on the outskirts of Krakow or very close to the city that would be interesting to visit?
It would have to be easily reachable by public transport (max. one hour or so).

I am not interested in churches, museums and beer.
I also won't be visiting Auschwitz.
(And only interested in nature in small doses - a nice view is fine, a 3 hour hike through wilderness is not).

The places don't have to have any special tourist attractions, just to be nice/ interesting places for a stroll, a look around and maybe a bit of nice food.

They could also be areas of Krakow that is normally not on the tourist map - normal neighbourhoods that for some reason could be interesting to visit for a couple of hours (interesting history, interesting architecture, nice restaurants/shops, food markeds.......anything really, I am easy to please).

I have only visited Krakow once before and I only remember the old city and the area towards the Central Station. I don't think I ventured much out of the historical part of the city. I assume that I have also been to the Kazimierz area.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by helosc
They could also be.......anything really, I am easy to please).
Krakau? Wem Gott will rechte Gunst erweisen, den schickt er in die Wurstfabrik. Er lässt ihn in die Knackwurst beißen und gibt ihm noch ein Stückchen mit.

n.b. sorry, could't help it, don't be angry...
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:29 am
Original Poster

KLouis
You have greatly contributed to my general education.

After a fair bit of googling, I now know the wording of the original quote, the author, and how, by exchanging some of the words, it is possible to comment on traveller's intentions.
I am still not sure if this particular fixed version of the quote is meant to be a slight or not (on the traveller or the destination). Or if it is merely a harmless joke.
So I haven't yet decided whether to be angry or not............

As I don't eat sausages, I'll have to find some other reasons for visiting Krakow.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:58 am

As I received such good suggestions to a similiar question about Warsaw, I am asking the same question about Krakow which I'll be visiting for 5 days in July.

Are there any places on the outskirts of Krakow or very close to the city that would be interesting to visit?
It would have to be easily reachable by public transport (max. one hour or so).

I am not interested in churches, museums and beer.
I also won't be visiting Auschwitz.
(And only interested in nature in small doses - a nice view is fine, a 3 hour hike through wilderness is not).

The places don't have to have any special tourist attractions, just to be nice/ interesting places for a stroll, a look around and maybe a bit of nice food.

They could also be areas of Krakow that is normally not on the tourist map - normal neighbourhoods that for some reason could be interesting to visit for a couple of hours (interesting history, interesting architecture, nice restaurants/shops, food markeds.......anything really, I am easy to please).

I have only visited Krakow once before and I only remember the old city and the area towards the Central Station. I don't think I ventured much out of the historical part of the city. I assume that I have also been to the Kazimierz area.
Are you into funny costumes & stag dos? Then don't look any further - you may as well stay in the old town (get yourself a Borat set inclusive of moustache and you're up for fun!).

Otherwise: Zakopane & surrounding areas; mostly a winter destination (being mainly a ski resort), yet still charming during summer, even though it's going to take well over 1 hour to get there (there are several mini-buses run by private companies departing from the local bus station).

If you will be flying back from WAW and have therefore to catch a train from Kraków to the Capital, then you can get off at Włoszczowa-Północ: located in the Świętokrzyskie region, it is basically half-way between Warsaw & Cracow; absolutely stunning area, with plenty of green, walking routes, proper & cheap local food and not really a tourist spot. Transportation is very easy & convenient as basically nearly every train (including the recently launched high-speed's Pendolinos - believe it or not), from both directions, stops at Włoszczowa-Północ.

G
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions AlicorporateUK

No, I'm afraid I'm not into funny costumes and stag dos, so I'll pass on that.

Zakopane looks beautiful. A bit further than I would prefer to travel but I'll look into the transport options (there is supposedly also a train connection - maybe it's a scenic route).

I am actually flying out of KRK as my preferred airline will start flying there this spring.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I have found an interesting area in Krakow myself : Nowa Huta.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowa_Huta
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:06 am

I have found an interesting area in Krakow myself : Nowa Huta.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowa_Huta
I hope you are being sarcastic!

G
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:14 am

KLouis
Or if it is merely a harmless joke.
Absolutely; I heard that at high school for the first time, some 50 years ago. And, by the way, I LOVE the Krakauer wurst (I don't know how you call it it in Polish).
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:15 am

Nowa Huta (& Kurdwanów, for that matter) are not really pleasant districts: don't get me wrong, every city has its rough areas (myself I was born in a port/touristic city which has several nice areas -as you would expect- but also quite a few particularly risky districts) and that doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't visit them at all however, when away on holidays, I wouldn't really particularly want to go there, unless you have a specific reason to do so. I know the Nowa Huta area fairly well and, whilst I'm relatively sure that you wouldn't face any issues, I would probably avoid it while on your holiday break.

G
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Nowa Huta is certainly a bit rougher around the edges, but it's not some slum. In fact if you're looking for some authentic communist architecture then you'd be in a great place for it.

Personally, though, our go-to short trips were the Tyniec monastery and the biking/walking trails along the Wisła (I used to do these nearly weekly) or some place like Wieliczka.. For the bike trails you can rent a bike in town and a few hours will get you out to Tyniec and back. If you have a car you could always go out to the lake/wakeboard park at Kryspinów (it's not fantastic, but it's a short trip and certainly off the tourist track).

For the truly "why?" You could spend an afternoon at the "Park Wodny" which is an admittedly pretty cool indoor water park. If your idea of spending a holiday is at a second-ish rate water park. I mean, it's kind of cool, both literally and figuratively, but.... Yeah.

If you've got some time, there's the park at Oiców with loads of hiking in the granite formations, the castle, etc. I remember visiting that one weekend and finding a local market... Pretty cool. The actual park is made up of quite a few towns, though, plus the park areas.

While Zakopane is nice, it's also super touristy. So depending on what you'd like to see, you could conceivably go somewhere like Białka Tatrzańska or to some of the hiking trails near Rabka (I have maps somewhere but on a different device).

And while not a day trip, the museum under the Rynek is very well done. Even though you specified no museums, it only takes an hour or two and gives a good background of the city.

There's a lot of options, though. These are just a few suggestions

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; Jan 3, 2016 at 2:05 pm
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:07 am
Original Poster

AlicorporateUK
I am not planning to spend a whole day at Nowa Huta - just an hour or two to see the central/main area.
It's close to Krakow center and easy to get to.
I am curious about the area and I think I'll find it architecturally and historically interesting.

DJ Bitterbarn
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have looked at them and will here add a few links for others that might have an interest in this thread.

I like sailing and am hoping for some sort of shortish river cruises on the Wisla.
I can see that there are boats sailing to Tyniec so even if I am not super interested in the monastery, it could be a good trip for me anyway.
I could also be interested in walking at least partway there along the Wisla.

Tyniec Monastery : http://www.tyniec.benedyktyni.pl/en/guide-for-cloister/
http://www.inyourpocket.com/krakow/G...Tyniec_137712v

Wieliczka Salt mines : http://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com
This is certainly close to Krakow and easy to reach. Looks interesting if I can overcome my dislike for being underground..

Park Wodny : http://www.parkwodny.pl/en
Not for me but looks good for tourists with children.

Oicow : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojców_National_Park

I am not travelling alone and I am sure the Museum Rynek will be of interest to my travel companion. We might actually have seen it last time we were in Krakow.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:28 pm

I retract my post because I am not worthy of sharing a thread with the great and mighty AlicorporateUK.

Last edited by arlflyer; Jan 4, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I found Nowa Huta to be one of the more fascinating places I spent time in while visiting Krakow last fall, and I'm just a random American tourist. As someone who was born at the very end of the Cold War and thus to whom the Soviet era was always something from the past, I found it really interesting to see this big piece of living history, particularly the legacy architecture. When I travel I also like to see places where normal, everyday people live, and in this area I felt like I really could get a good feeling for the pulse of day-to-day working class life. I swung into a couple bakeries, milk bars, etc. as well and had some good food. Seemed like a nice place to live.
If you read what I previously wrote once again, you'll probably notice that there's no mention of Nowa Huta not being a fascinating place etc. (the Mrs lived in there during her studies and I made several friends at that time as I was visiting nearly on a weekly basis - absolutely loved it). Moreover, and with all due respect, you can't really have a good idea of what it's like living there on a daily basis when just visiting as a tourist (and because of a nice corner shop or the food you had at the restaurant...) so the "seemed like a good place to live", when simply away on holiday, doesn't really stack up. Live there for a year with a "working class" local salary and you'll then probably get the real pulse as you put it...

G
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:05 pm

I retract my post because I am not worthy of sharing a thread with the great and mighty AlicorporateUK.

Last edited by arlflyer; Jan 4, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
You seem like a lovely person.
Ta, you too (and I particularly like the frequent use you "seem" to make of the verb "seem").

G

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.