Rediscovering AMS: One of the World's Friendliest Airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rediscovering AMS: One of the World's Friendliest Airports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Hey, if this bothers you, then don't come here.

That said, I've flown DL to JFK and have never had an extensive interview at the gate other than asking me if anyone had had access to my bags.
I've always had extensive interviews on my way to the US in AMS flying Northwest/DL but not KLM, as well as in ATH flying DL, but only until the end of the '90s (related to the new ATH airport?). Never at BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, GVA, LHR, MUC and ZRH. In IST I had no interview but additional, very lengthy security checks.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Hey, if this bothers you, then don't come here.

That said, I've flown DL to JFK and have never had an extensive interview at the gate other than asking me if anyone had had access to my bags.
Merry xmas Analise

As mentioned upthread by Aviatrix, the interviews are typically for US carrier-operated flights only, and target non-US citizens.

The only unpleasant one I've had was in 1998 flying DL CDG-JFK, by an embittered man with a basic command of English and French.
I've been able to breeze through the interviews on my rare UA flights to the US with a disarmingly honest 'because it was the cheapest!' (at the time, to grant 100% miles to partner FFP's in low coach buckets) answer to 'why are you flying United?'

I otherwise make it a point of flying on European or Asian carriers into the US.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: United MP, SQ Krisflyer, SPG, HHonors, SkyPesos
The airport security is really efficient at AMS. The x-ray bins come out automatically and the security staff is really friendly (one joked with me that candy was no longer allowed in carry-on).

What I hate are the long walks, both before and after security. Going to customs to get a VAT refund stamp and back if you're on a *A flight, and then the walk to your *A gate is a real pain!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.