FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   which airline is better to travel on going to Europe? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1723664-airline-better-travel-going-europe.html)

oracles4444 Nov 10, 2015 10:29 pm

which airline is better to travel on going to Europe?

I hope I am writing this in the correct forum. I want to go to either Rome or Paris and I can travel using my united points on either Air Canada, Lufthansa, or Brussels airlines. It is in economy seating. What are your thoughts on which airline is the best. I can travel from New York to Rome on Air Canada or Lufthansa airlines or I can travel from New York to Paris on Brussels airline. Thank you all in advance for your answers

stut Nov 11, 2015 3:01 am

They are pretty much equivalent in terms of comfort, IMO.

Brussels is a decent little airport and easy to transfer at, so that's a positive for Brussels Airline.

Frankfurt is a nightmare to transfer at, but Munich is very good, so that could be bad or good for Lufthansa.

Are Swiss or Austrian options?

AlicorporateUK Nov 11, 2015 7:38 am

LH via MUC.

G

Gagravarr Nov 11, 2015 9:18 am

Using points for economy travel often works out poor value, as the taxes and surcharges can make up the bulk of an economy ticket's cost, and those are normally still payable on award tickets.

Given that, I suspect you'll want to travel with whoever has the lowest taxes and fees for your given routing!

slawecki Nov 11, 2015 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr (Post 25697314)
Using points for economy travel often works out poor value, as the taxes and surcharges can make up the bulk of an economy ticket's cost, and those are normally still payable on award tickets.

Given that, I suspect you'll want to travel with whoever has the lowest taxes and fees for your given routing!

LH charges a ton of tax and surcharge. UA charges almost none. don't know about the others.

if you travel on LH metal on a UA codeshare, one does not have the huge surcharges. FRA hs a horrible arport for transfer.

award tickets to fco can be difficult to find on occasion

okamzikprosim Nov 11, 2015 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by stut (Post 25696058)
They are pretty much equivalent in terms of comfort, IMO.

Brussels is a decent little airport and easy to transfer at, so that's a positive for Brussels Airline.

Frankfurt is a nightmare to transfer at, but Munich is very good, so that could be bad or good for Lufthansa.

Are Swiss or Austrian options?

Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience as you (FRA A to Z is very easy but BRU A to B is a mess). But the issue is at FRA if you have to go to a terminal other than A or Z, then it is a mess I suppose. Still YMMV.

Anyways, if Swiss is an option for the original poster, that is the one I'd second.

abhilife2001 Nov 12, 2015 6:52 am

Originally Posted by okamzikprosim (Post 25698296)
Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience as you (FRA A to Z is very easy but BRU A to B is a mess). But the issue is at FRA if you have to go to a terminal other than A or Z, then it is a mess I suppose. Still YMMV.

Anyways, if Swiss is an option for the original poster, that is the one I'd second.

I guess for going to Rome / Paris from New york, Swiss and Austrian would surely be an option..
My order of preference would be Swiss > Austrian > Lufthansa (preferably Munich)..