Wiki Posts
Search

Warsaw or Krakov?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Warsaw or Krakov?

I am thinking of doing a visit to Poland for a weekend next year,I like historic old towns or towns with a lot of history and old buildings etc,which of the above towns would be more interesting? Warsaw or Krakov???
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: *G
krakov is better preserved and is known as the "cultural capital" of poland.

warsaw has many detractors but i really quite like it. the old town is 90-95% rebuilt following ww2 bombings, but still pretty.

8/10 people would recommend the former
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Kraków.

Just.. Kraków.

Especially in quality of old towns. Kazimierz and the Stary Rynek are spectacular. And I'm only a bit biased.

EDIT: Sorry, I had to write that in two minutes so I was rushed. But see answer below. More info about what you're looking for does help a lot.

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; Sep 12, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: price is a king
hey there
that's actually a very good question

Krakow - one of the oldest Polish cities, nearly untouched during WW2.
Warsaw - city destroyed in 90% during last year of war activities in Eastern Europe.

So, if you're into broader historical feeling - that means Krakow. If you're a recent history freak (WW2) Warsaw might bring you sights & places which are unseen anywhere else.

Get us more details, other examples you liked and we'll help you to choose right spot. For both cities take Wizz flight from nearby Luton

mfk
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Krakow it is then,but can't find any Wizz flights,is it under a different name?
Thanks for all the replies.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by liamvad
Wizz Air. Also, Ryanair flies there from the UK. And I think BA is flying 4X weekly.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by liamvad
Sure,
Wizz has a very good flights to Katowice Airport - roughly 45mins via motorway by shuttle to Krakow city center (esp at night). Like going to LHR T5 from Reading Browse online - there are TONS of offers on that route.

enjoy Poland and let us know if you need any further help mate

mfk
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:32 pm

Just got back from 4 days in Kraków, my first time there, and I can't recommend it highly enough. I had previously heard nothing but great things but even those high expectations were surpassed. Something for everyone - you can make it as upscale, downscale, touristy, non-touristy, artsy, cheap, expensive, whatever you want. Tons of history - from medieval up through Soviet-era, whatever suits your fancy. Great food, nice people, easy to get around using transit, quite inexpensive. And it is a reasonably compact town - even things that are "far out" are maybe 30-45 minutes by transit. The main city core is extremely walkable and easy to explore. You can be in the most touristy area (which still isn't that touristy, compared to many places), and then walk 10 minutes in one direction and it is nothing but students or 10 minutes in the other direction and it is all old-timer locals. I'd be back tomorrow if I could.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
Sure,
Wizz has a very good flights to Katowice Airport - roughly 45mins via motorway by shuttle to Krakow city center (esp at night). Like going to LHR T5 from Reading Browse online - there are TONS of offers on that route.

enjoy Poland and let us know if you need any further help mate

mfk
Thank-you!!! I will definitely be going there,will have a good search for flights........cheers!!^
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:53 pm

I've only taken the minibus from KTW once, but it is certainly easy enough to navigate. I recall they dropped us off at the central station? I think so. I do remember booking it in advance online and the process was smooth. Just maybe print out the confirmation in case. But I remember the bus had WiFi and was comfortable enough.

I would personally rather fly W6 over FR any day (although now we don't need to make that decision much) and to me the difference from KTW is worth it, but others may not share my enthusiasm for not-FR. However if you do, I hear rumours the train finally runs from KRK to the city? Does it? Although there's also a bus that runs much cheaper than the train. Occasionally you can wrangle a good taxi fare as well.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
I would personally rather fly W6 over FR any day (although now we don't need to make that decision much) and to me the difference from KTW is worth it, but others may not share my enthusiasm for not-FR. However if you do, I hear rumours the train finally runs from KRK to the city? Does it? Although there's also a bus that runs much cheaper than the train. Occasionally you can wrangle a good taxi fare as well.
The train has been around for about four years I think. The thing about the train is that it is somewhat of a walk from the arrivals area, so you need to take a shutlle bus. And the only stop in the city center is the main train station. The bus on the other hand, will let you disembarque at several different stops in the city center before reaching the main train station.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:27 pm

They're finishing the line, though, to get to the terminal. I just wasn't aware if they'd completed it or if it's still a ways off.

That said the walk from the terminal to the train wasn't that bad. Just longer than not. And I always failed to make it to the train. Usually ended up finding someone to drive!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by fanjet
The thing about the train is that it is somewhat of a walk from the arrivals area, so you need to take a shutlle bus
Not true any more. They hv been rebuilding the line for last 9-10 months and now the train station is right inside the terminal as in most civilized airports
The ticket to Krakow Main Station is reasonably priced at 8 PLN, the journey takes mere 18 minutes.

The line will be fully operational in next 7-10 days.

Below is the picture of a train at airport's terminal station (trial runs).

Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
On a similar theme we are having 7 nights/6 days in Poland flying into Krakow and out from Warsaw. Our interests are history, sites, gardens, food etc. How would you recommend we divide up the days - 3 in each or 4 in Krakow, 2 in Warsaw?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:19 am

hey there
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
On a similar theme we are having 7 nights/6 days in Poland flying into Krakow and out from Warsaw. Our interests are history, sites, gardens, food etc. How would you recommend we divide up the days - 3 in each or 4 in Krakow, 2 in Warsaw?
few questions before advising:
- when are you coming?
- you mentioned food - are you into local / traditional stuff or more into gourmet-fusion scene with a proper tasting (incl wine, ciders, beer)?
- do you have an increased interest into Jewish history?
- are you back-packers / medium / high / first-class?

For the first time in PL I'd say 4 days in KRK and 2 days in WAW, however if you're into proper food or Jewish history (google: POLIN) you might want to spend 3 days in WAW. Also during winter I'd stay more in WAW.

let us know more
mfk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.