Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Security/Customs/Immigration when Transiting Schengen Countries

Security/Customs/Immigration when Transiting Schengen Countries

Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Years later but when departing the EU to a non-EU destination, I have never gotten a green stripe.
It depends on the airline.
Most airlines use baggage stickers using a single stock. If the airline operates flights only to/from (but not within) the EU customs union, it will use either a white or a green stock. If it operates flights within the customs union, it will use green stock.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Palal
It depends on the airline.
Most airlines use baggage stickers using a single stock. If the airline operates flights only to/from (but not within) the EU customs union, it will use either a white or a green stock. If it operates flights within the customs union, it will use green stock.
I dunno - I've departed LHR on BA, CDG on AF, AMS on KL, and FCO on AZ - all within the last year, and never gotten a green sticker. It may be that that happens in other airports, but not when I've flown.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:29 am

I dunno - I've departed LHR on BA, CDG on AF, AMS on KL, and FCO on AZ - all within the last year, and never gotten a green sticker. It may be that that happens in other airports, but not when I've flown.
Just take a closer look the next time, it's hard to miss when you don't look for it as it just the edges of the sticker and it's a very light green.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Just take a closer look the next time, it's hard to miss when you don't look for it as it just the edges of the sticker and it's a very light green.
Will do
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:26 am

Will do
Don't look for sticker (no sticker!) nor big stripes (smallish stripes!). Look for the tag on your bag that should look like that:

Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh ya, maybe actually! I'll have to look again.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
+1 never knew this, thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by KLouis
Don't look for sticker (no sticker!) nor big stripes (smallish stripes!). Look for the tag on your bag that should look like that:

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but was reviewing this for some useful info and found this post hilarious. Why would you white out or manipulate the tag in such a way? LAD is Luanda, Angola and is obviously altered. Your flight number BA 1435 is a domestic flight (currently from EDI, but could have been different back then). Then amount of editing in that pic is silly considering the flight was taken and limited info is in those codes. A tag originating in Luanda, transiting LHR, IAD (BA 217, easily guessed from remaining non-altered tag), and ending ??? (in USA presumably) certainly would not have the green stripe and look quite different from this. This is just silliness.

Last edited by dvs7310; Apr 18, 2020 at 11:31 am
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:15 pm

Not my sticker (I never flew from EDI to IAD), I picked this picture on the internet, with the only purpose to show what was meant by "green stripes". I never bothered to edit the picture, which had, obviously, been edited previously. I have no idea who was the original poster, and why (s)he changed LAX (probably) to LAD. I agree it may have been silly, but we don't really know what the purpose of the "perpetrator" was. I also don't know what the purpose of your post was, but I do understand that 1) people have lots of time to kill at the times of the current pandemic, and 2) you'll have to learn how to read the stickers: LAD (or LAX) would be the final destination, the origin of the flight is never shown on the sticker (the flight is).
Koby and :D! like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
LAD should be LHR. Here's the original stock image:
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-a-...-81146306.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.