Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest place to get Euros in U.S. before Greek trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CG
Bottom line its a great time to come to Greece on vacation!
It is indeed.
The UK weekend papers report massive reductions in huge amounts of unsold Greek holidays and villa rentals.
Traditionally ( I suspect because of its recent history of student island-hopping holidays ) many Greek holidays are booked last-minute and the tourist industry has been hit by worries about flight cancellations,food shortages etc in the event of a Grexit.
And,of course,a large number of German tourists who usually travel to Greece are staying away.
I can't think of a better way of supporting the poor Greek people by holidaying there this year.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by linglingfool
The credit card part makes sense; there's no restrictions on money flowing into Greece, only out.
While a credit card transaction will cause a debit into a business bank account currently that can not be turned into cash, and from what I understand many suppliers are requiring cash for goods. And the worst case for bank depositors would certainly be an account balance haircut ala Cyprus.

But even if the OP is connecting in a non-euro currency country they can still change money. At LHR it would look like USD -> GBP -> EUR. I think that even with what is functionally 'two exchanges' it would be <= to a total of 7% in transaction fees.

SunLover
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by SunLover
While a credit card transaction will cause a debit into a business bank account currently that can not be turned into cash, and from what I understand many suppliers are requiring cash for goods. And the worst case for bank depositors would certainly be an account balance haircut ala Cyprus.
It sounds like domestic suppliers are operating as usual, provided they don't need to import supplies, so they're not affected by capital controls, as there's no need to withdraw cash or wire money overseas. Cash is obviously king, though, as haircuts in some form are inevitable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.