Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe in September 2015 - Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Europe in September 2015 - Need Advice!

Hi Guys, I've been struggling with planning a trip and a friend mentioned posting the rough plan on Flyer Talk and get expert opinions from people who have done it before! So here's what I'm planning -

The trip starts either end of August or September first week, depending on the cheapest tickets I can get. Will be flying from San Francisco -

Day 1, 2 - Amsterdam.
Day 3, morning - Leave for Paris by train. Check in Paris
Day 3, 4, 5 in Paris
Day 5, evening train to Nice, France
Day 6,7 in Nice and Cannes
Day 8, morning - Leave for Rome (by air)
Day 8, 9 in Rome
Day 10, morning - Rome to either Florence/Naples/Venice (not sure yet)
Day 10 - undecided
Day 11 - Drive to Amalfi Coast
Day 11, 12 - Amalfi, Capri
Day 13 - Drive back to Rome and fly back to Amsterdam to catch the return flight to San Francisco.

I can add 2-3 days to this plan and the part where I'm struggling is whether this will become too tiring of a trip. I want to enjoy with my wife and last thing I want is packing too many attractions in a short period of time. I'll appreciate if people who've done these places can suggest alternate plans. I would like to add 2 days in Switzerland if possible and don't know where to add.

Thanks to all!
Old May 21, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Most of these threads start out with people saying you're cramming too much in...and I think that's the case here too. But let me ask a question, have you been to any of these places before? If you have, shorter stays make sense.

A few comments:
- You're really cheating Paris and Rome, unless you've been there before.
- You could probably spend an extra day in Amsterdam.
- I would skip Venice unless your heart is set on it. It's worth seeing, but I would take Florence over Venice.
- I assume you arrive in AMS on day 1, which means you really only have 1.5 days. It's a beautiful and fun city, although not as many tourist sights as Paris and Rome.

If you can add a couple days, you'll be more relaxed. I might recommend this:

- 2 full days in Amsterdam
- Add a day in Paris
- Add a day in Rome
- Consider saving southern France for another trip.
- If you can, add some time to Amalfi Coast

Others here will say you need to spend a week in each city. I've done many trips where I've only done a few days in one place. I haven't seen EVERYTHING, but they've all been very enjoyable trips. The key is just planning carefully ahead of time, and prioritizing what are must-dos in each place.

Edit to add: just saw you haven't booked flights yet. Why not fly into AMS and out of FCO? It prices as a round trip, so you should at least look into that option as it essentially adds another day to your itinerary that is lost to travel now.

Last edited by JBord; May 21, 2015 at 7:20 pm
Old May 22, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I think that JBord is right and that reducing the number of places would make for a better trip. Amsterdam is great fun and having a bit longer there would also help you recover from the flight. I would suggest you do Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Amalfi - and, as JBord says, look at flying out of Rome (FCO is Rome's main airport, flyertalkers have a habit of referring to cities by their airport codes which aren't always that obvious).

If you were going to go to Switzerland, it would logically go between Paris and Rome. However there is an overnight train from Amsterdam to Zurich so you could go Paris- Amsterdam-Zurich-Rome. There is also an overnight train service between Paris and Venice...
Old May 22, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I would choose September even if the travel is more expensive. The later the better. In those cities it will be really crowded in September, but in August, especially late August, it will be insanely crowded.

Also when flying to Europe at the end of August you will be traveling with all the European families (lots of kids) returning from their summer holiday. The planes are all 100% full and the airports in Europe struggle mightily with the load. Lots of bags are lost too.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by exilencfc

If you were going to go to Switzerland, it would logically go between Paris and Rome. However there is an overnight train from Amsterdam to Zurich so you could go Paris- Amsterdam-Zurich-Rome. There is also an overnight train service between Paris and Venice...
Interesting suggestion, because just this week I've been checking on flights from US-Europe and seeing very good prices on Star Alliance to Paris and Rome. The OP may very well get a good price on SFO-Paris<open jaw>Rome-SFO.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not looking at that part of Europe this time, but noticed it on Google flights when I use the map feature.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
As others have already said, I think you're trying to do too much. I'd suggest 4 days roughly per city and actually skip Amsterdam altogether and do Paris-Rome-Florence. I'd save the Amalfi coast for another trip when you can spend some proper time there.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks JBord for the excellent suggestions. I have never been to Europe, this is my first time. I was thinking Florence instead of Venice too. So thanks for confirming!

So Cannes and Nice are not worth 2 extra days? Interesting…Thanks for the suggestion of flying out of FCO. I will look into that.

Originally Posted by JBord
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Most of these threads start out with people saying you're cramming too much in...and I think that's the case here too. But let me ask a question, have you been to any of these places before? If you have, shorter stays make sense.

A few comments:
- You're really cheating Paris and Rome, unless you've been there before.
- You could probably spend an extra day in Amsterdam.
- I would skip Venice unless your heart is set on it. It's worth seeing, but I would take Florence over Venice.
- I assume you arrive in AMS on day 1, which means you really only have 1.5 days. It's a beautiful and fun city, although not as many tourist sights as Paris and Rome.

If you can add a couple days, you'll be more relaxed. I might recommend this:

- 2 full days in Amsterdam
- Add a day in Paris
- Add a day in Rome
- Consider saving southern France for another trip.
- If you can, add some time to Amalfi Coast

Others here will say you need to spend a week in each city. I've done many trips where I've only done a few days in one place. I haven't seen EVERYTHING, but they've all been very enjoyable trips. The key is just planning carefully ahead of time, and prioritizing what are must-dos in each place.

Edit to add: just saw you haven't booked flights yet. Why not fly into AMS and out of FCO? It prices as a round trip, so you should at least look into that option as it essentially adds another day to your itinerary that is lost to travel now.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome, exilencfc! Would it be better to fly into Paris or Amsterdam? If I fly into Paris, should I go to Amsterdam or Zurich as the next stop? I’m most probably going to leave out Venice.

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I think that JBord is right and that reducing the number of places would make for a better trip. Amsterdam is great fun and having a bit longer there would also help you recover from the flight. I would suggest you do Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Amalfi - and, as JBord says, look at flying out of Rome (FCO is Rome's main airport, flyertalkers have a habit of referring to cities by their airport codes which aren't always that obvious).

Old May 22, 2015, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi stimpy, I’m thinking of somewhere around Sep 1-15 for this plan. Is it that bad during that time? I’m fine with flights and airports being full, as long as I can enjoy the cities I’m going to...

Originally Posted by stimpy
I would choose September even if the travel is more expensive. The later the better. In those cities it will be really crowded in September, but in August, especially late August, it will be insanely crowded.

Also when flying to Europe at the end of August you will be traveling with all the European families (lots of kids) returning from their summer holiday. The planes are all 100% full and the airports in Europe struggle mightily with the load. Lots of bags are lost too.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
For a first time trip to Europe I suggest stick to basics.

I think Amsterdam is definitely worth it.
I think Paris is a must as is Rome
I am not sure I would include Nice/Cannes. They are very nice but I would rather add a day or two in Paris and enjoy some of the sights around the city.

I love Venice. I know Florence is the mecca of art but Venice despite the drainage issues and flooding is......... well, magical. If you are going with your wife, include Venice.

I would fly into Amsterdam, train to Paris, maybe throw in Brugges in Belgium either as a stop or as a day trip from either cities, fly to Rome and then train to Venice, stop in Florence and then the Amalfi coast including Capri.

If your heart is set at the French Riviera then I would use Nice as a base or even consider staying in Provence instead (I personally like St Remy de Provence or Aix en Provence).

I would not rent a car in Europe if this is your first trip with the exception of renting a car in Provence. You don't need it on the French Riviera.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by navs47
So Cannes and Nice are not worth 2 extra days? Interesting…Thanks for the suggestion of flying out of FCO. I will look into that.
I would just say for your first time, you'll enjoy the extra days in Paris or Rome much more.

Venice vs. Florence is tough...I find Venice to be very touristy, much more so than any other city I've been anywhere. But there are some great sights to see, and I love the little cicchetti stores. I'm just not a fan of big crowds.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Thanks for the welcome, exilencfc! Would it be better to fly into Paris or Amsterdam? If I fly into Paris, should I go to Amsterdam or Zurich as the next stop? I’m most probably going to leave out Venice.
I'm honestly not sure. My understanding is that Amsterdam is the easier airport and i'd say it's the easier city to navigate. In terms of onward travel, I suggest you consult airline schedule/price websites and the German railway website bahn.de which is good for pretty much all European railways.

Hi stimpy, I’m thinking of somewhere around Sep 1-15 for this plan. Is it that bad during that time? I’m fine with flights and airports being full, as long as I can enjoy the cities I’m going to...
I concur with Stimpy that you should choose September rather than August because it won't be as crowded - though the big tourism cities in Europe are busy pretty much year round.

Originally Posted by JBord
I would just say for your first time, you'll enjoy the extra days in Paris or Rome much more.

Venice vs. Florence is tough...I find Venice to be very touristy, much more so than any other city I've been anywhere. But there are some great sights to see, and I love the little cicchetti stores. I'm just not a fan of big crowds.
I haven't been to Florence. Venice is unique, there really is nowhere else like it and once you get away from the main sites the crowds generally aren't so hideous.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for France, the kids return to school Monday August 31st. So Sept 1st would be MUCH better than the last week of August. Paris, the airports, the trains, the roads, etc are insane that week with everyone returning home from summer vacation.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm honestly not sure. My understanding is that Amsterdam is the easier airport and i'd say it's the easier city to navigate. In terms of onward travel, I suggest you consult airline schedule/price websites and the German railway website bahn.de which is good for pretty much all European railways.

I haven't been to Florence. Venice is unique, there really is nowhere else like it and once you get away from the main sites the crowds generally aren't so hideous.
Amsterdam is easier for sure. But it's not like Paris is impossible if you choose September. However you might be better easing into Europe via Amsterdam, then popping down to Paris (maybe stop a quick few hours in Brussels) by train.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keisari
I would not rent a car in Europe if this is your first trip with the exception of renting a car in Provence. You don't need it on the French Riviera.
I have to disagree here. I rented my first time and had no problems. Driving is driving. And you REALLY need a car on the Riviera. WIth public transport you'll miss so very much. And especially with family you want a car and the freedom it brings you and the ease of carrying all your stuff around.

If the OP starts with public transport in Amsterdam and flies or trains down to Paris, he should be ready to drive in the south of France and Italy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.