Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

AMS: New Centralized Pre-Boarding Procedures for all US Flights.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS: New Centralized Pre-Boarding Procedures for all US Flights.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Customs is a non-event when you leave AMS. Security checks and passport control together should take anything between 5 minutes and 45 minutes if it is really busy. Arrive at the airport between 1.5 and 2 hours before scheduled departure and you will make your flight.
Edit: Never mind, I was getting AMS confused with Ottowa (which has pre-clearance for US customs) my bad. Too many trips coming up

Last edited by greggarious; Jul 9, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat; SPG Plat
I'm still not 100% clear on the lounge situation. If I am a US citizen returning from AMS to ORD (on a KLM operated flight), what is the order of operations?

I'd like to utilize the KLM lounge since I have a 4 hour layover, but it sounds like after leaving the lounge, I need to visit passport control before getting to my departure gate, and I don't know how long passport control will take on a given day so I need to leave the lounge early. I used to go straight from the lounge to my gate, but now PDC is in between the lounge and the gate? Am I understanding this correctly?

I'll have my mom with me on my next trip and she's not so mobile anymore, so I am trying to figure this all out ahead of time.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:06 am

The new procedure only applies to US carriers. For KLM-operated flights you go straight to your gate.

I've walked past one of the areas where they do the extra checks for US carriers, and it's just a row of desks - it's not a one-way street where you have to go straight to your gate afterwards. As I understand it you go through the formalities, you get given a piece of paper to confirm this, and you're then free to wander round the terminal (or sit in the lounge) until boarding time.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Just do the following: As soon as you get to the airport go through the PDC and do your formalities. Once you're done you're free to go to the lounge and from there go your actual departure gate when it's time to board.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:02 am

Security screening

I'm a American citizen and just flew through Amsterdam yesterday. Our flight was delayed getting into Amsterdam which caused us to be in a very short time schedule to catch my flight to the US and The screening was something I can't even put into words. I was asked the normal question I would get at passport control which is "why were you in Europe"? I answered that I was a professor teaching a class and he wanted to know what I thought. When I said I taught propaganda all hell broke loose. In hindsight I should've said I thought customer service... but the questions were aggressive and they lasted for 12 minutes and he asked me how I taught and why I taught and what sources are used and what was my opinion on current propaganda compared to past propaganda. When I became frustrated he gleefully informed me that I was losing my temper and I told him I wasn't losing my temper but I was very frustrated being as I had two minutes to get to my gate and he was asking me questions about my teaching philosophy that I didn't understand. He reported to me that this security was needed because "we have to be very careful about who enters the US."As a United States citizen and a professor at a university I was shocked and dismayed. I honestly thought I was going to be detained ( and I'm a white woman with a PHD and had students with me). Plus, these people don't wear official uniforms or is there any signage explains what this is....
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:04 am

Not US carriers

This is currently only for American Airlines. It's aggressive questioning.

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
The new procedure only applies to US carriers. For KLM-operated flights you go straight to your gate.

I've walked past one of the areas where they do the extra checks for US carriers, and it's just a row of desks - it's not a one-way street where you have to go straight to your gate afterwards. As I understand it you go through the formalities, you get given a piece of paper to confirm this, and you're then free to wander round the terminal (or sit in the lounge) until boarding time.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Amiee Shelton
This is currently only for American Airlines. It's aggressive questioning.
This is not aggressive but, rather, idiotic questioning (using "idiotic" as a medical term): I used to fly 4-5 times a year to the US and until I switched from KL to AF and then *A flights I had to go through this stupidity at Schiphzl, carried out by people whose IQ was below 30 (thus, the medical term used above). A small collection of questions/statements I remember:

+ What, you don't remember your friend's birthday, how can you call him a friend?

+ What is Molecular Genetics, I've only heard about Molecular Biology!

+ Why do you stay in Boston for only two days, I would never fly that far unless I'd spend at least one or two weeks there.

Not their fault if they're stupid but why do US carriers pay to have this kind of controls at AMS?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:04 pm

Is the questioning done by Dutch police / border control officials?

Is the questioning usually brief and cursory for most people, with only certain (random/suspicious) persons getting the more extensive questioning?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by muji
Is the questioning done by Dutch police / border control officials?

Is the questioning usually brief and cursory for most people, with only certain (random/suspicious) persons getting the more extensive questioning?
It's done by security contractors hired by the airlines. It varies on when and how brief and cursory the questioning is, but it has very little to do with passengers being targeted due to randomness or being suspicious (except in the heads of those with suspect "thinking"). If the contractors get too excited in ways, then they may try to draft in Dutch governmental authorities.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's done by security contractors hired by the airlines.
Thanks, GU.

I just read some online information about how overcrowded, and unpleasant, that airport has become.

The last time we were there was in 2005 and it was nice then. We got interviewed at the gate by someone who appeared to be a policeman. He asked us a few personal questions about where we had been traveling; he was polite.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:17 pm

I hadn't realized until now that Schipol had gotten so bad. My wife and I, flying from Seattle, have had bad experiences at CDG & LHR, so we wanted to avoid them and were looking forward to arriving at, transiting through, and leaving from Schipol.

Our only other option would be to arrive at, transit through, and leave from CDG.
Which of these two airports would be considered the better (less bad) one?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by muji
Thanks, GU.

I just read some online information about how overcrowded, and unpleasant, that airport has become.

The last time we were there was in 2005 and it was nice then. We got interviewed at the gate by someone who appeared to be a policeman. He asked us a few personal questions about where we had been traveling; he was polite.
After AMS airport got a new runway, the quality of my experiences at AMS as a transit airport got worse and worse, but in 2005 it was still fine indeed.

In the past two calendar years however, it has gotten better in one regard: when flying from the US to Schengen destinations with a Schengen transit airport being involved, AMS no longer requires me to clear general passenger security screening again during my transits at AMS.

If the choice is between AMS and CDG, I choose AMS.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
While in general I agree that AMS is more pleasant - there is one big downside.

If banking on lounge access: the lounges are among the worst in Europe - that even includes whatever KL dares to call their flagship lounge.

in this aspect I do like CDG better!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:40 pm

What airline were you flying?

Originally Posted by Amiee Shelton
I'm a American citizen and just flew through Amsterdam yesterday. Our flight was delayed getting into Amsterdam which caused us to be in a very short time schedule to catch my flight to the US and The screening was something I can't even put into words. I was asked the normal question I would get at passport control which is "why were you in Europe"? I answered that I was a professor teaching a class and he wanted to know what I thought. When I said I taught propaganda all hell broke loose. In hindsight I should've said I thought customer service... but the questions were aggressive and they lasted for 12 minutes and he asked me how I taught and why I taught and what sources are used and what was my opinion on current propaganda compared to past propaganda. When I became frustrated he gleefully informed me that I was losing my temper and I told him I wasn't losing my temper but I was very frustrated being as I had two minutes to get to my gate and he was asking me questions about my teaching philosophy that I didn't understand. He reported to me that this security was needed because "we have to be very careful about who enters the US."As a United States citizen and a professor at a university I was shocked and dismayed. I honestly thought I was going to be detained ( and I'm a white woman with a PHD and had students with me). Plus, these people don't wear official uniforms or is there any signage explains what this is....
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:43 pm

While we can argue about the need for screening, the questions to not sound idiotic. They are open-ended or designed to put the passenger on the defensive, allowing a questioner to spot suspicious/nervous behavior. Of course the same questions could throw off an innocent person as well. But, the questions sound purposeful and not idiotic.

Originally Posted by KLouis
This is not aggressive but, rather, idiotic questioning (using "idiotic" as a medical term): I used to fly 4-5 times a year to the US and until I switched from KL to AF and then *A flights I had to go through this stupidity at Schiphzl, carried out by people whose IQ was below 30 (thus, the medical term used above). A small collection of questions/statements I remember:

+ What, you don't remember your friend's birthday, how can you call him a friend?

+ What is Molecular Genetics, I've only heard about Molecular Biology!

+ Why do you stay in Boston for only two days, I would never fly that far unless I'd spend at least one or two weeks there.

Not their fault if they're stupid but why do US carriers pay to have this kind of controls at AMS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.