Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Splitting time between Prague and Istanbul

Old May 10, 2015, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi - I have about 11-12 days to split between Prague and Istanbul. I'm going with my girlfriend. I spent about 4 days in Prague about a decade ago, but have never been to Istanbul. She's never been to either place.

Right now I'm thinking I'll bias the trip more towards Istanbul than Prague - I'm thinking about 6 days in Istanbul and about 4 in Prague, with one travel day (we're flying) that is split between the two cities.

Istanbul strikes me as a much larger break from our comfort zone - hence the plan to spend more time there. I also felt like the last time I was in Prague I was pretty happy with the amount of time I spent there.

Is this a terrible plan?

Thank you!
Old May 10, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Haven't been to Istanbul, but 4 days in Prague seems sufficient to see the sights and enjoy the city.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:28 pm

I spent a week in Istanbul a couple of years ago and felt that it was a good amount of time and not too long. The city is a huge metropolis with many, many different aspects to experience and you won't get bored. There are also plenty of options for day trips.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Agreed with the other comments. You could do most of the nice sites in Istanbul in a week, but do plan ahead and stay in the area most attractive/convenient. I stayed at the Moevenpick which is near Besiktas (off of the Levent 4 train stop), and although we had a trek almost anywhere, we loved it. We didn't mind using the transit and walking. Obviously if you prefer to stay on the Bosphorous or Taksim or Sultan Ahmet, by all means.
My suggestions:
First, buy a museum card and a istanbulcard for transit. Well worth it as far as cost savings and getting you in past the lines.

1st morning - visit Galata tower to get a nice vantage point of the city. then taxi across
to the Suleymaniya mosque, walk down from there to the New Mosque and Spice Market, and have a wonderful meal at Hamdi. That should be plenty for the first day.

Dedicate a day or even two to the Sultan Ahmet area and see the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sofia, and the museums in the area. Have a nice simple lunch at Sultan Koftacisi.

Spend a day at the grand bazaar (keep in mind they are closed one day a week).

Spend a day or more in the taksim area and on the bosphorous. At taksim have traditional turkish home cooking at Haci Abdullah restaurant

If you want to take a boat to the princes islands, worth a day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.