Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam for One Night

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Amsterdam for One Night

I will be arriving in Amsterdam at 7:30 on a Thursday evening. I'm staying at the Amsterdam Marriot Hotel. Any thoughts on what to do for an evening? Places to eat? Is there a main area to hang out? I unfortunately only have the night and maybe a couple hours in the morning as I'm on business.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
The hotel is literally meters away from Leidseplein, one of the main nightlife areas of Amsterdam. It's very touristy but there are loads of places to eat & drink as well as live music venues and nightclubs. Bo Cinq is a popular lounge bar that does food as well. For the restaurants, some are good (tripadvisor is a pretty good indicator) but the majority are oriented at tourists and you won't get much character or unique experience.

If you're looking for a bit more local experience, consider De Pijp or Jordaan neighborhoods. Both are just a few kilometers away.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Myyra
The hotel is literally meters away from Leidseplein, one of the main nightlife areas of Amsterdam. It's very touristy but there are loads of places to eat & drink as well as live music venues and nightclubs. Bo Cinq is a popular lounge bar that does food as well. For the restaurants, some are good (tripadvisor is a pretty good indicator) but the majority are oriented at tourists and you won't get much character or unique experience.

If you're looking for a bit more local experience, consider De Pijp or Jordaan neighborhoods. Both are just a few kilometers away.
Not meaning to "jump on" Myyra , but she's absolutely right with great advice here. Ask the Marriott for a Leidseplein view room, depending your status you should get it.

Depending on your budget, another alternative would be some fantastic restaurants on Reguliersdwarsstraat which is just off the flower market/Rembrandsplein which is only 3 tram stops from the Marriott. Le Pecheur was an amazing French/Fish restaurant there but after one of the owners died in Turkey his partner closed the restaurant. The Thai Dynasty restaurant is outstanding, but again your budget is a big issue. I'm also a big fan of the Italian restaurant Santurino. All of these are on Reguliersdwarsstraat.

Have a fun night
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by JamesEaston
Not meaning to "jump on" Myyra , but she's absolutely right with great advice here.
Just one thing that's incorrect here: I'm a male.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Agreed on good advice above.

I think Jordaan is a great idea to explore and find dinner and drinks, and IMO it's walkable from the Marriott if the weather is nice.

Another alternative, which may or may not suit the OP, is to stay at the Renaissance. It's a very quick walk to Jordaan, and also from the train station, which I prefer for a short stay when I want to make the most of my few hours.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:13 am

Pass out the cigars...it's a boy!! Sorry, in that other thread where I was accused of "jumping on" you, that other poster used feminine pronouns.

So, now the question becomes, who was worse. Me for being insulted you claimed my entire post was false, or them for calling you a girl (that was a joke of course)

Last edited by JamesEaston; Mar 3, 2015 at 2:24 am
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by JBord
Another alternative, which may or may not suit the OP, is to stay at the Renaissance.
Yes, the Ren is close to Jordaan and Centraal, but it's really a horrible hotel when compared to the Marriott. Do a search here on FT for Marriott Family Hotels in Amsterdam and you'll see the discussion between the two.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Not personally a fan of the Marriott or Renaissance (they're in the mould of US chain hotels in Europe that don't really have to try due to a constant stream of loyal guests) but they're solid enough hotels and well located if you're using points.

(Actually, to get to the Marriott, I'd be more tempted to get the train to Amsterdam-Zuid and the number 5 tram up from there.)

Agree with the Jordaan (and 9 Straatjes) area - a pleasant walk to get up there, and a really nice, laid-back place to find a nice canalside or back-street eetcafé.

I find Leidseplein quite hideous, but maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by stut
If by old, you mean over 40, then yeah. You're right, Leidseplein is a place for tourists, mostly in their 20s and 30s, especially after bedtime
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Not personally a fan of the Marriott or Renaissance (they're in the mould of US chain hotels in Europe that don't really have to try due to a constant stream of loyal guests) but they're solid enough hotels and well located if you're using points.

(Actually, to get to the Marriott, I'd be more tempted to get the train to Amsterdam-Zuid and the number 5 tram up from there.)

Agree with the Jordaan (and 9 Straatjes) area - a pleasant walk to get up there, and a really nice, laid-back place to find a nice canalside or back-street eetcafé.

Thanks for the info. Is a cab an option?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Yup, but be aware that Amsterdam taxis are deregulated, so they can charge silly amounts as long as they display those silly amounts. The reliable company is TCA (also TCS for Schiphol) - beware of imposters like TBA, TCF, etc, and beware of certain locations (e.g. Dam Square by Krasnapolsky). You don't have to take the first taxi in a queue.

Taxis don't roam, you call or pick them up from ranks.

Otherwise, Uber works well.

Do also be aware that, for journeys in the centre, driving is not a very direct option - they may have to go out a loop to the inner ring road, then round another loop to reach your destination. You may find walking quicker (and there are plenty trams up and down Leidsestraat...)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
Correcting mistakes again.
Cheers
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
To add to what Stut said: it's exactly 1 mile walk from the Marriot to the Westerkerk, along one of the famous Amsterdam canals - definitely worth the walk. On the way you'll pass Negen Straatjes, and Jordaan starts immediately behind the Westerkerk. If the weather is good, you can have a drink on the boat at cafe P96 (Prinsengracht 98, only bar snacks to eat), or on the terrace by the canal at Spanjer En Van Twist on Leliegracht 60 - you can eat there, too.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Agreed on the Marriotts, I was assuming the OP (like most of us FT'ers for whom brand loyalty matters) might be a Marriott person, so offered up an alternative Marriott closer to Jordaan. I also love that I can take the train from AMS to Centraal Station and walk to the Ren in 5 minutes.

I'm with you on Leidesplein, but then again I am DEFINITELY getting old and grumpy !
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I like to Marriotts. I've stayed in several hotels in AMS and I prefer Marriott or Renaissance because they're comfortable and well located. I've stayed in far inferior Dutch hotels (tiny rooms, extremely stingy on any amenities).

Many here advise staying off the beaten path (going more local), but IMO if you're in Amsterdam for the first time I think you should do the touristy thing. Check that out first, then go to other places.

The Marriott family (and US hotel families in general) are fairly consistent and never disappoint. European chains are in the same boat (don't have to try too hard) but are less comfortable (I'm talking about the bedding) and notoriously stingy. E.g. I've been watching the Moevenpick in Geneva (where I've been staying 20-35 nights/year for the past 6 years), a 5 star property, push the limits of stinginess to a point I'd never thought was possible. It's quite unwelcoming to feel shortchanged.

Last edited by florin; Mar 11, 2015 at 3:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.