Wiki Posts
Search

Plitvice vs Hvar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: EB
Plitvice vs Hvar

We got 5 days in Split, and one of the days will be spent as a road trip. Should we go to the Plitvice lakes, or should we explore Hvar island?

(Also, are there any cities in Bosnia-Herzegovina along the border that is nice for a lunch? Is border crossings impossible? We have european passports. I see Livno is only 1,5 hours drive from our hotel.)
Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:45 pm

What time of year are you visiting? It makes a difference...
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:56 am
Original Poster

August.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Hvar, definitely. Plitvice will be dry, and lakes will be low on water. Hvar, on the other hand, will be full of life, and summer will be in full blow. Oh, and don't bother with going to B&H. It's just going to be hot and unremarkable.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Ha ha! Hot and unremarkable... good point about heat though, I am very bad in tackling high temperatures. 27-32 is my comfort level.

Is there a lot of mosquitoes in Split? I guess Plitvice is mosquito heaven? I am very very scared of mosquito bites (just a phobia).
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Usually you shouldn't have problems with mosquitoes in urban areas. There may be some on the islands in the evening hours, but there's usually a little bit of wind which distracts them. Bring some repellant if you're really freaked out by them. The ones we have are pretty easily distracted, they're not like tropical mosquitoes

As for Plitvice, I've never been there during mosquito season. The lakes are most spectacular when there's water, and that's springtime (after the snow melts), or late autumn (after autumn rains).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.