Wiki Posts
Search

Life in Vienna, AUSTRIA... Tips?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Wink Life in Vienna, AUSTRIA... Tips?

Hello,

My name is Vicente. I will study in Vienna for some time, the city looks really amazing. I love Freud and Klimt, I can't be really be more excited. I am 19 years old. (well, 18... but I will celebrate my birthday next week). I am a Venezuelan (a country located in Latin America) and my family came from Spain.

I am gay. What is it like to be gay in Austria? In spite of the fact of being such a conservative country, I lived in Saint Petersburg, Russia during this summer and had no trouble. I took an internship to gain work experience in a multicultural environment. Actually, it was really really nice. According to some sources, Austria is by far more open than Russia so I should be fine as well there.

I really love arts, live music and culture. I have been told Austria is a very nice city if you love fine arts and it is also recognized as "The City Of Dreams" and "The City Of Music".

I chose to study Transcultural Communications (Portuguese and Russian Language) at the University Of Vienna. It is one of the best universities in Europe.

What do you think? Some tips? Some advices?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:34 pm
uk1
Suspended

Hi Vincente welcome to FT.

Vienna will be a pefect match for you. It is our favourite European city and we visit often - and happen to be there now.

I have no first hand experience of Gay life in Vienna but I have no doubt it isn't a problem. There's a vibrant gay scene here.

The city retains lots of old fashion charm and manners. You'll rarely hear a car horn for example and if you walk off the pavement you won't. be run over .... Until a few years ago teenagers would stand up on busses and trains for older people to sit .... but that has changed a little.

I suggest you make your first two bar visits to Bettelstudent (poor student) for a drink and a set lunch and perhaps Kuchldragoner ... the owner Ronald is gay and will give you pointers to Vienna life. Cafe Einstein is staffed with music students and their badges tell you what instruments they play. There is extraordinary art and music in Vienna ... it is knitted into life.

You will love Viennese life - I have no doubt.

Enjoy your time in Vienna.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:48 am
Suspended

I am gay. What is it like to be gay in Austria?
I am not but i have a friend he is.
I have been told Austria is a very nice city
Austria is no City its a Country!
and it is also recognized as "The City Of Dreams" and "The City Of Music".
Realy? I thought its City of fashion like "Vienna, Paris, NY...".
Some tips?
You are right here in Vienna?
If you want you can meet me but I speak only a little English.

In 2 Days there is a very interesting Train ride in Vienna an i meet some Frequent Flyer ans Hon`s *gg* i hope you meet us.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ToGo
I am not but i have a friend he is. Austria is no City its a Country!

Realy? I thought its City of fashion like "Vienna, Paris, NY...".You are right here in Vienna?

If you want you can meet me but I speak only a little English.

In 2 Days there is a very interesting Train ride in Vienna an i meet some Frequent Flyer ans Hon`s *gg* i hope you meet us.
Oh, excuse me!
I meant Vienna was a great city!
I know Vienna is the city and Austria is the country. I only made a mistake.
I will arrive in Vienna late February-March. I will be there in two months and half.
It is okay if you are not fluent speaking English because I have to learn German while being there. You can improve your English and I could improve my German.

You should check these two websites and see it is known as "the city of dreams and music":
http://anoutofthewayplace.com/2012/0...ity-of-dreams/
osciwosci1.wordpress.com/.../vienna-the-city-of-dreams-and-music/

Can't be more excited I want to be there NOW!

Last edited by VicenteQuintero; Dec 6, 2012 at 5:32 am Reason: Adding some links
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
Hi Vincente welcome to FT.

Vienna will be a pefect match for you. It is our favourite European city and we visit often - and happen to be there now.

I have no first hand experience of Gay life in Vienna but I have no doubt it isn't a problem. There's a vibrant gay scene here.

The city retains lots of old fashion charm and manners. You'll rarely hear a car horn for example and if you walk off the pavement you won't. be run over .... Until a few years ago teenagers would stand up on busses and trains for older people to sit .... but that has changed a little.

I suggest you make your first two bar visits to Bettelstudent (poor student) for a drink and a set lunch and perhaps Kuchldragoner ... the owner Ronald is gay and will give you pointers to Vienna life. Cafe Einstein is staffed with music students and their badges tell you what instruments they play. There is extraordinary art and music in Vienna ... it is knitted into life.

You will love Viennese life - I have no doubt.

Enjoy your time in Vienna.
Oh, that sounds really nice. I find really interesting the city is still retaining its old charm. That is why I like so much Europe. I have seen some photographs of the city and the architecture looks stunning and romantic. By the way, I have been told Vienna is one of the best preserved cities in Europe because it was not very affected by wars, like Berlin for example.

I think gay life should be okay, at least. I just wanted to receive some feedback from people who had already gone to the city and have experienced the feeling. I will go to those two bars and ask for a drink for sure.

Too bad I still have to wait two months and half to arrive in Vienna. Can't be more excited! It looks pretty cool! Can't wait!!!!!!!!

Kind regards,
Vicente
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:58 am
Suspended

Some information about Public Healthcare:
http://www.sozialversicherung.at/exp...T=WGKK&LANG=EN

http://www.sozialversicherung.at/exp...T=WGKK&LANG=EN

Ticket for Public Transport:
For Student: https://shop.wienerlinien.at/index.p...2/show/0/0/0/0
or for 365 Days: https://shop.wienerlinien.at/index.p...2/show/0/0/0/0
Only the Online Shop is in English and the Website are just for Tourists.

I have to learn German while being there
Dont worry about there are many peoble the dont want to speak German. In Austria the Government want that the Local have to learn Turkish, Russian,... to understand what the "refugees" talking about.
Can't be more excited
Do you like Historical Train rides?
You will love the Local Trains.
I find really interesting the city is still retaining its old charm. That is why I like so much Europe.
Berlin and many German City are destroy during the 2 World war. Thanks American.
I think gay life should be okay, at least. I just wanted to receive some feedback from people who had already gone to the city and have experienced the feeling. I will go to those two bars and ask for a drink for sure.
I life in Vienna but i dont know anything about Gay life in Vienna.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:04 am
uk1
Suspended

You should be very optimistic .. and feel confident about your time. At one stage .. even though we love our homes in the UK and elsewhere - Vienna is the only other place we have been to often that we would seriously consider ( and have done) having a permanent base. I know absolutely that whilst not talking from first hand experience of being gay in Vienna it will be a great European experience for you gay or not .. but particularly because you happen to be gay.

You are now obligated to come back and keep us up to date with respect to your arrival and time in Vienna. I can't wait to hear from you.

You must make sure you attend the Life Ball and Gay parade ... we watch it each year ...it is unique. I mentioned my friend Ronald earlier .... I was a little coy. Visiting gay celebrities always visit his bar and make it their base. He is an acquired taste as a person but once you become friends he becomes a life friend and whilst we aren't gay we love our friendship.

Last edited by uk1; Dec 6, 2012 at 6:32 am
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:57 am
Original Poster

For sure
Do you have a Twitter account or a FB one?
Follow me: @LeGarconFatale
I will write you when I arrive to Vienna!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:00 am
Suspended

Sorry what is a "Twitter account" or "FB"?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by VicenteQuintero
Hello,

I am gay. What is it like to be gay in Austria? In spite of the fact of being such a conservative country,
What do you think? Some tips? Some advices?
Vienna is this gay man's paradise. But mainly from April-October. The colder months aren't as fun gay-wise. But are manageable none the less. Most of the gay estabishments concentrate in the Kettenbruckengasse and Pilgramgasse areas off the U4 subway line.

Yes, Vienna is conservative, like Munich. But they are not intolerant. However, they are very well-mannered in public. So loud or outlandish behavior is not recommended. They are somewhat private and reserved in nature. And just because they speak German, they really aren't like the Germans. And in Vienna, very few look German. Moreover, Austrians like to "bury things under the rug" in a "if I can't see it, it doesn't exist" kind of way. So don't bring up WW2 in a light conversation. There is a saying: Austrians did a fantastic job of convincing the world that Hitler was German, and Mozart was Austrian.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:04 pm
Suspended

So don't bring up WW2 in a light conversation.
This isnt a problem any more. The most People know only that was the American/ Brithis Historian say not the Truth. Only some People know what Hitler and his Friend did in this Time.
Hitler was German
His was born in Austria and after many years the go to Munich and the German give hin the Power to start this evil work.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ToGo
Sorry what is a "Twitter account" or "FB"?
Social networks, buddy
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Vienna is this gay man's paradise. But mainly from April-October. The colder months aren't as fun gay-wise. But are manageable none the less. Most of the gay estabishments concentrate in the Kettenbruckengasse and Pilgramgasse areas off the U4 subway line.

Yes, Vienna is conservative, like Munich. But they are not intolerant. However, they are very well-mannered in public. So loud or outlandish behavior is not recommended. They are somewhat private and reserved in nature. And just because they speak German, they really aren't like the Germans. And in Vienna, very few look German. Moreover, Austrians like to "bury things under the rug" in a "if I can't see it, it doesn't exist" kind of way. So don't bring up WW2 in a light conversation. There is a saying: Austrians did a fantastic job of convincing the world that Hitler was German, and Mozart was Austrian.
Winter is winter, of course. However, I kinda like it. Come on, I have been living in a very warm country for 18 years. We have NO winter here. The weather is 23-30 °C degrees all year long. It may be a paradise for some Europeans who love summer, but it is boring for us. I have seen snow very few times in my life, so it is going to be nice. In Europe, specially in Russia, they couldn't believe I kinda like cold weather (Russians got like 5 months of winter). I think the change of the seasons is nice because you can expect the weather to change and not to be the same everytime. And I like to change. It is part of life.

I think it is okay if Austrians are just somewhat conservative, unless they were VERY conservative and intolerant. But it seems it is not the case and that is fine. On the other hand, it is too rude if a foreigner comes to your country and start to bring up the dark side of the history of your country (every country got their dark side). For example, I dislike when foreigners bring up what is happening with Chávez in Venezuela and start to make statements about the country without previously doing a proper research. For that reason, I understand it may be unpolite if a foreigner brings up what happened in WW2 in a light conversation.

It is good to keep receiving feedback from you, guys. The days go by and I get more excited. I can't wait anymore. I want to be there soon to learn a lot of new things and open my mind. The rich culture of Austria is wonderful and it is a great opportunity to get a wider vision of the world around me. Vienna is an old city and a lot of things have happened there. It is one of the most important cities of the world and it used to be one of the capitals of the Austro-Hungarian empire. I am not expecting to live a fairytale there, I am only expecting to live new experiences and acquire great knowledge. However, I am still very enthusiastic and I desire it to be the time of my life (I hope it will be).

Last edited by VicenteQuintero; Dec 9, 2012 at 2:01 am Reason: A spelling mistake
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by VicenteQuintero
The rich culture of Austria is wonderful and it is a great opportunity to get a wider vision of the world around me.
How true, and what a wonderful opportunity for you. I hope you update us occasionally on your progress and impressions.

My contribution is to urge you to try a unique cultural treat: standing room at the Vienna State Opera, The guide linked below explains the advantages (especially the low cost) and the step-by-step procedures:

http://likelyimpossibilities.blogspo...g-room-at.html

Opera in Vienna (and Europe) is not the mummified, stuffy wax museum that it is too often North America and South America; instead, the art form lives and breathes with innovative productions that make it relevant to 21st century life (well, in my opinion,anyway) I do think you'll find that music is truly interwoven into everyday life, and I think that it's a great way to interact with the residents.

Here's a link to a recent Vienna production of Verdi's Don Carlos, which also shows the beautiful interiors of the Staatsoper itself:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgymuAfVYvk
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:24 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
How true, and what a wonderful opportunity for you. I hope you update us occasionally on your progress and impressions.
Totally agree .... this is the place!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.