Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG-FRA-SIN & tax refunds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Question CDG-FRA-SIN & tax refunds

Does anyone know, if my itinerary reads CDG-FRA-SIN, should I be doing my tax refunds (getting customs stamp etc) in CDG or in FRA?

Problem is: CDG-FRA is just a connection, I will stay no more than 2 hours in FRA before my FRA-SIN flight leaves. I know that detaxe is done at the last port of exit in the EU, but technically I don't ever leave the airport zone at FRA.

For CDG-FRA, I am on LH; FRA-SIN, I'm on SQ. I'll be checking my bags through to SIN from CDG, but will they issue me my boarding pass for FRA-SIN in CDG as well?

Any help is appreciated; I don't have experience with a Schengen connection - usually fly straight out of the EU into Asia.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Are the taxable goods going as checked baggage or carryon?

If checked bags, you may be able to get the stamp first (either before you go to the check-in counter or after) assuming the bags are checked through.

If carryon, you have to find the airside customs office in FRA.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
I would try in CDG, however they like to make it as hard as possible so you don't get the tax refund. technically you have to have the goods and receipt and show them to the VAT person (I've hear stories of folks who have a nice person and just want them to show the receipts... I seem to always get stuck with the officer who wants everything to be done to the letter of the law and I usually don't have everything purchased in my carry-on).

I make it a point to try to get the VAT back at the original departure airport so if they don't permit it, I can try at the stopover...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Are the taxable goods going as checked baggage or carryon?

If checked bags, you may be able to get the stamp first (either before you go to the check-in counter or after) assuming the bags are checked through.

If carryon, you have to find the airside customs office in FRA.
I would probably have a majority of the goods inside my carryon, but may have to check certain items in (clothes etc).

I only have 2 hours in FRA to catch my SIN flight, so I will definitely be getting my bags checked through. My concern therefore is whether or not CDG customs will allow me to get my forms stamped in CDG, with proof, of course, that I will be leaving the EU.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gbearbuck
I would try in CDG, however they like to make it as hard as possible so you don't get the tax refund. technically you have to have the goods and receipt and show them to the VAT person (I've hear stories of folks who have a nice person and just want them to show the receipts... I seem to always get stuck with the officer who wants everything to be done to the letter of the law and I usually don't have everything purchased in my carry-on).

I make it a point to try to get the VAT back at the original departure airport so if they don't permit it, I can try at the stopover...
Thanks

So far, I have not had any major troubles with CDG customs (except for the one official who gently chastised me for buying goods from a French brand in London, LOL).

Do you know if there is a customs desk within the transit area in FRA? I haven't been to FRA in recent years so am not sure of any changes they've made to the airport layout.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
Thanks

So far, I have not had any major troubles with CDG customs (except for the one official who gently chastised me for buying goods from a French brand in London, LOL).

Do you know if there is a customs desk within the transit area in FRA? I haven't been to FRA in recent years so am not sure of any changes they've made to the airport layout.
Sorry I cannot help with FRA... never stepped foot in that airport (which is a bit amazing since I focus my *limited* international travel with *A).
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:36 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
In FRA tax refunds may be obtained at Global Blue, TaxFreeWorldwide, or Premier Tax Free (at the money changing counters of Travelex and International Currency Exchange). You can find their locations on Frankfurt Airport's website.

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...e.0.after.html

The OP is likely to arrive in FRA Terminal 1 A and depart from Terminal 1 B.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
In FRA tax refunds may be obtained at Global Blue, TaxFreeWorldwide, or Premier Tax Free (at the money changing counters of Travelex and International Currency Exchange). You can find their locations on Frankfurt Airport's website.

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...e.0.after.html

The OP is likely to arrive in FRA Terminal 1 A and depart from Terminal 1 B.
Thanks for this, but I'm not looking at the tax refund company desk per se. Unless the company desks have customs officials there? (In CDG the customs desk is separate from the company desk)

I will be shopping at several merchants who process refunds themselves, not with a company like Global Blue or Premier, so I just need the customs stamp and not the on-the-spot cash refund.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
It's been several years but there was a customs office airside in FRA T1 but I don't remember where (other than non-Schengen zone). It looks like it is after passport control. This will only work with your carryons.

At CDG, you may have to ask check-in staff that you want to do this. I have only done the check-in tax-free shopping at FRA (leaving E.U. directly) and maybe AMS.

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...t_refunds.html
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Hi everybody,
I have some kind of similar but tricky situation in the coming weeks.

I plan a week in Paris with some shopping and items to detax.
I will then fly CDG-LIS on a Saturday, with one night layover in LIS.
The following day I will jump on the 05:00am KL flight LIS-AMS, with 50min connection to grab my AMS-GRU flight to go back home. (LIS-AMS-GRU is a single ticket and different from the CDG-LIS)

1/ Is it possible to carry out the detax at PABLO @CDG ? (the most convenient)
2/ Can I do it at LIS the Saturday of my arrival ? Are there some kind of automated process ?
3/ If not, are there available custom agents all night long in case I perform the detax at ~03:00am the Sunday and they need to check the goods ?
4/ Please don't tell me I have to do it @AMS because it is my last exit point of EU ? Being airside and with 50min connection I can forget it.

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:05 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Yolow
Hi everybody,
I have some kind of similar but tricky situation in the coming weeks.

I plan a week in Paris with some shopping and items to detax.
I will then fly CDG-LIS on a Saturday, with one night layover in LIS.
The following day I will jump on the 05:00am KL flight LIS-AMS, with 50min connection to grab my AMS-GRU flight to go back home. (LIS-AMS-GRU is a single ticket and different from the CDG-LIS)

1/ Is it possible to carry out the detax at PABLO @CDG ? (the most convenient)
2/ Can I do it at LIS the Saturday of my arrival ? Are there some kind of automated process ?
3/ If not, are there available custom agents all night long in case I perform the detax at ~03:00am the Sunday and they need to check the goods ?
4/ Please don't tell me I have to do it @AMS because it is my last exit point of EU ? Being airside and with 50min connection I can forget it.

Thanks for your help
I would say you have very little chances for 1/, as it is a separate flight and within the EU, so they will probably not give you a stamp (as you could let the stuff in LIS, hence not export it).
2/ might be possible if you show a boarding pass for the onward flight. Never been to LIS for detax, but in some airports, if you want a stamp and you have checked baggage, they keep the baggage right where they stamp your receipts (e.g. FRA) - so it's ensured that it goes on the flight.
3/ don't know
4/ that would be according to the rules. But not sure whether an agent in LIS would be ok to do it there already...
Yolow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:37 pm

@Yolow: Also don't forget all C-19 regulations that change continuously in all European countries depending on the epidemic's situation, and usually with a 1-day warning. They can also affect your plans, as a matter of fact, more than you imagine. These regulations not only affect an entry in, and departure from a given country but, also, shopping such as curfew in France from 6 pm on.
Hezu and Yolow like this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Another reminder that the customs officers would like to see your boarding pass to a third-country that isn't an EU member when stamping the tax-free documents.
They might also check the baggage tag and would like to inspect the baggage if the items are actually in it.

You could technically stamp your goods at LIS after you arrive from CDG, however, you must have your onward boarding pass present and most likely your bag being tagged and ready to be dropped at that time. As a side note, I have no information wheater KL would let you check-in and tag your bags for your flight almost a day in advance and if there would be a check-in desk open at the time you arrive from CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.