Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Europe in Feb/march

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Visiting Europe in Feb/march

So I am thinking of going to Europe next year, and need help figuring out where to go. I would be using Skymiles to get there. What would be some ideal destinations for a trip weather wise. Italy is a top choice, and what would be a good itinerary. Rome and Sicily were two places that stood out but if anyone has some ideas/help going that time of year I'd appreciate it. I only have 120k miles so I have to find a low reward redemption from Atl. I also want to go for about 10 nights to a week.

This was one of my ideas but I was hoping for some input on the safety of those cities for the 10 night cruise and if the weather is usually enjoyable mid feb http://www2.ncl.com/vacations?Ntt=I+...e%3F&x=91&y=11
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by edh101985
So I am thinking of going to Europe next year, and need help figuring out where to go. I would be using Skymiles to get there. What would be some ideal destinations for a trip weather wise. Italy is a top choice, and what would be a good itinerary. Rome and Sicily were two places that stood out but if anyone has some ideas/help going that time of year I'd appreciate it. I only have 120k miles so I have to find a low reward redemption from Atl. I also want to go for about 10 nights to a week.

This was one of my ideas but I was hoping for some input on the safety of those cities for the 10 night cruise and if the weather is usually enjoyable mid feb http://www2.ncl.com/vacations?Ntt=I+...e%3F&x=91&y=11
Can I suggest you be more specific. Your question is really vague, other than you are leaning towards Italy. What do you like to do? Interests? Budget? Have you done any research yourself?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

I guess for interests we are foodies. I definately like a good meal. For activities, places with lots of sightseeing, nightlife, and fun stuff to do. Im in my mid 20's so a place with lots of young people. Also beaches would be nice, but I can't see the weather being that great for March. For budget, I am looking at moderately priced places. I am a Starwood employee, so preferbly places that have starwood hotels.

If I went to Rome/Sicily, what would be the best way to get their. And can you easily get around Sicily without a car? I also love amusement parks, are any places open year round? Also I am scuba certified. I would like to dive somewhere but I'm guessing the water will be freezing...

I hope this helps. I also read somewhere something about skiing in Sicily on Mt. Etna? I'd love to know some more information about that.

Last edited by edh101985; Sep 9, 2012 at 8:12 am
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
Originally Posted by edh101985
I guess for interests we are foodies. I definately like a good meal. For activities, places with lots of sightseeing, nightlife, and fun stuff to do. Im in my mid 20's so a place with lots of young people. Also beaches would be nice, but I can't see the weather being that great for March. For budget, I am looking at moderately priced places. I am a Starwood employee, so preferbly places that have starwood hotels.

If I went to Rome/Sicily, what would be the best way to get their. And can you easily get around Sicily without a car? I also love amusement parks, are any places open year round? Also I am scuba certified. I would like to dive somewhere but I'm guessing the water will be freezing...

I hope this helps. I also read somewhere something about skiing in Sicily on Mt. Etna? I'd love to know some more information about that.
Gosh, this is a pretty broad list! I'll tackle the Sicily questions first:

I love Sicily, and the food is fantastic, but I don't think it's a good option for what you're looking for on this trip.

Late March would be decently warm (depending on where you're from), but for the majority of March last year I was still wearing my boots and wool coat. This will be true for much of Europe, and the cruises that you linked to are priced appropriately for the weather.

I also think that a car is pretty much required in Sicily if you're not familiar with Italian. There are busses, but taking them isn't exactly convenient. Yes, it is possible to ski on Etna. There aren't any amusement parks on the island that I am aware of.

Also, the only Starwood property in Sicily is not a great property (in terms of both location and repair), so that might be the final straw.

In terms of getting to Europe, there are a lot of options on Delta. I suggest reading the first few posts in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html Even though they're referencing Business Class, the same steps apply for Coach awards.

It sounds like Rome could be a decent option for you, or possibly Barcelona, or even Istanbul. If you're dates are at all flexible it should be pretty easy to get an award ticket to any major European city in the winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.