Search

Early December Europe Visit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Early December Europe Visit

Hello fellow FTers!

I'm seeking advice on an upcoming trip that I'm coming up in the first two weeks of December. This trip is a "mini-trip" in the grand scheme of things. I'll be first flying from the US to Cambodia for a week via Frankfurt and Seoul then going down to New Zealand for a week, concluded with a flight on the Kangaroo Route from SYD-SIN-LHR-??. I have about a week to spend in Europe and would appreciate any suggestions that you all may have.

Here's a few things about me:
1. I would like to try somewhere new. The past few Decembers, I've went to Munich/Salzburg/other Bavarian towns and have really enjoyed the Christmas spirit, so would prefer to go somewhere else, though I will miss all of the alpine villages and Bavarian atmosphere. I have a stopover in London on my way back to the States, so exclude this as well.
2. Has an SPG property of some sort. (Wanting to use SPG points).
3. Weather wise--I'm indifferent. Though I would prefer somewhere colder. Cold/snow doesn't bother me!
4. A Christmas Market or decorations would be nice, as well as museums, castles, architecture, etc.
5. Great place for a mid-20s single traveler to go to, meet others, etc.

Places that I'm considering right now: Dublin, Prague, Amsterdam, Berlin.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA/AA
The best place I've experienced Christmas in Europe was Krakow Poland (lots of Catholics). There's a nice Sheraton in Krakow.

You can't go wrong with Berlin either.

If you have a week, you can do both. Air Berlin flies rt for less than $100.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice jaymar01! Krakow looks great. I'm also now looking at Budapest!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
+1 for Krakow!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
+2 for Krakow. Cool City. The square is incredible. ^
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Along the lines of the OP's question and without starting a new thread...

Does the Christmas spirit stick around in Krakow after December 25th or are all the decorations being put away on December 26th?

What city would you all recommend that isn't completely dead on the 25th? I know it's a hard question because even living in NYC, the 25th is definitely the quietest day around here.

We are arriving in Vienna on the 19th and will do Vienna and Salzburg before the 25th since it appears the markets are not around after the 25th. However, I read that the markets in Prague are open after the 25th so we can push that destination until after Christmas.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by jaymar01
The best place I've experienced Christmas in Europe was Krakow Poland (lots of Catholics). There's a nice Sheraton in Krakow.

You can't go wrong with Berlin either.

If you have a week, you can do both. Air Berlin flies rt for less than $100.
Thanks for that advice actually...was looking into that myself.

OP..I had posted a thread in here about Christmas Markets as well and got some good answers too if that helps you even more.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
Krakow is lovely but quite small - Prague might be a better option. It's the most picturesque city in Europe (IMHO) and as a former resident, I can attest to the range of things to do.
Plenty of good food at all price points and very atmospheric if you get away from the tourists (which is remarkably easy to do - they very much have a herd mentality and follow each other along the same paths!).
There's a Sheraton, by the way.
Although I'm slightly biased, I would agree that Budapest would be a good alternative. I would prefer either to Dublin or Berlin.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sent
Does the Christmas spirit stick around in Krakow after December 25th or are all the decorations being put away on December 26th?
I don't know exactly about Krakow, but traditionally in (Catholic) Europe, the (city) decorations are put on on Saint Nicholas' day, 6th of December, and kept until the Epiphany, 6th of January.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Budapest and Krakow it is. In Budapest, does anyone have any experience with the Sofitel ? The prices in Budapest seem really reasonable. I possibly wouldn't mind an apartment rental either for a few days. Thanks again to everyone for all of the advice in this thread. It's been extremely helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.