Wiki Posts
Search

Speed camera in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Speed camera in Switzerland

Hi,

I got flashed by a static speed camera in Switzerland on the 10th June 2012 and haven't heard anything yet (9th August). I think I was only less than 10 kmph over the limit. Is it likely I will get a fine? I am from the UK and was driving my own UK registered car.

Thanks

Neil
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If they need you, they'll find you.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Probably quite a process to generate the whole fine. I know the Swiss now of mutual agreements with their neighbours, but probably not yet with the UK. Probably also depends how fast you were going and where.
If you were going 10 km/hr over the limit on the motorway they'll probably not bother.
However, 2 months doesn't strike me as a lot.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have been "flashed" by a speed camera twice on the same trip in France while driving a rented car.
Never got anything and the rental company never charged my credit card.
I assume the Swiss are a little more organized and more methodical than the French so maybe they will send you a bill. I would not call them.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
I don't think they will bother sending you the fine. I mean, up until about a year ago, you could get cought speeding or get fined for a parking offence in France while on Belgian plates (and the other way around too) and never get a fine, or get away with not paying it if you did.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Do not underestimate the Swiss authorities relentless pursuit to fill thecoffers / keep the roads safer. Admittedly I live here, but just the other day got done for 2km over the limit on an open stretch of road with no-one around.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:17 pm
GAF

Programs: AA LT Plat, SPG Plat, CC gold, ICH Spire
Years ago, I got a summons from a Swiss traffic camera mailed to me in the USA. It took a few months to arrive. I got another from Germany for passing a red light, also a few months after the event. received a parking ticket from the Amalfi area of Italy, sent by Certified mail about 1 year later.
I have never responded to any of them and never received any other correspondence from them.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
From not too long ago http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...ng-ticket.html
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:21 am

In general keep in mind that speeding in Switzerland is not a good idea at all. Fines are quite drastic and they are quite strict with the limits.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:14 pm

Speed camera flashed twice near luzerne,switzerland

Hi DAF, sorry for digging up this old thread but i seem to be in the same boat. I was flashed(white) in 2 quick successions by a speed camera just outside of lucerne, Switzerland.this was a week ago. I had a rental car from hertz. I think i was doing 129 on either a 80kph or 100kph expressway. The reason was that my father was throwing up every now and then and he had left his medications at the hotel.I am expecting a ticket sooner or later. Ok so enuf with the story... i saw your post regarding ignoring one such ticket you got in the past. Did the swiss county come after you to get the fine amount or they just let you go after being ignored a few times . I am no drag racer and it just happened in a spur of moment while i was distracted with my fathers ill health.. Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by GAF
Years ago, I got a summons from a Swiss traffic camera mailed to me in the USA. It took a few months to arrive. I got another from Germany for passing a red light, also a few months after the event. received a parking ticket from the Amalfi area of Italy, sent by Certified mail about 1 year later.
I have never responded to any of them and never received any other correspondence from them.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:18 pm

Speed camera flashed twice near luzerne,switzerland

Hi DAF, sorry for digging up this old thread but i seem to be in the same boat. I was flashed(white) in 2 quick successions by a speed camera just outside of lucerne, Switzerland.this was a week ago. I had a rental car from hertz. I think i was doing 129 on either a 80kph or 100kph expressway. The reason was that my father was throwing up every now and then and he had left his medications at the hotel.I am expecting a ticket sooner or later. Ok so enuf with the story... i saw your post regarding ignoring one such ticket you got in the past. Did the swiss county come after you to get the fine amount or they just let you go after being ignored a few times . I am no drag racer and it just happened in a spur of moment while i was distracted with my fathers ill health.. Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by GAF
I have never responded to any.Years ago, I got a summons from a Swiss traffic camera mailed to me in the USA. It took a few months to arrive. I got another from Germany for passing a red light, also a few months after the event. received a parking ticket from the Amalfi area of Italy, sent by Certified mail about 1 year later.
f them and never received any other correspondence from them.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I have little sympathy for speeding. 129 in a 100 zone is bad enough let alone 129 in a 80 zone. Is going 29 over the limit any better than going 59 over? No it's not.

The Swiss authorities will bill the rental company (because that's who the registration number search will tell them who owns the car) and I can 100% guarantee the rental company will come after you as they know who rented that car on that date. Be prepared for the fine (and rental company admin fees) to hit your credit card at some point.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I have little sympathy for speeding. 129 in a 100 zone is bad enough let alone 129 in a 80 zone. Is going 29 over the limit any better than going 59 over? No it's not.

The Swiss authorities will bill the rental company (because that's who the registration number search will tell them who owns the car) and I can 100% guarantee the rental company will come after you as they know who rented that car on that date. Be prepared for the fine (and rental company admin fees) to hit your credit card at some point.
A few years ago I paid the fine as soon as I got the mail from the police (both of my sons lived in CH at the time, they did it for me) and a couple of weeks later Hertz charged me about 50 CHF, if I recall correctly, as a fee for having to give my name and address to the police: expensive service!

Last edited by KLouis; Apr 11, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Vmadan2000
I think i was doing 129 on either a 80kph or 100kph expressway.
You WILL receive a fine with all sorts of rental company fees attached, and you might be prosecuted and lose your license. It might take quite some time for the fine to reach you, but it'll come.

This is one of the reasons why this forum continuously recommends tourists to use public transport in Switzerland.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:21 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by malmostoso
This is one of the reasons why this forum continuously recommends tourists to use public transport in Switzerland.
Or just stick to the speed limits . This said the surroundings of Lucerne are known for their strict enforcement, but in the UK the same is the case regarding strictness and rightly so.

Going less than 25 km/h (plus tolerance) too fast on motorways costs you CHF 260, over this it becomes a criminal case which will be decided at a court's discretion. And yes, one can be stopped if not reporting / following up when entering / exiting the Schengen space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.