Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS overnight layover. Question regarding local transport and baggage check in

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Haven't posted here for a while, but my upcoming travel brings up a question. It's somewhat long, but bear with me.

I am traveling from MSP to BOM via Amsterdam (AMS) for 3 weeks with an overnight 23 hours 45 mins layover in AMS on my way to BOM.

I was told by the Delta CS folks that since I have a >6 hours layover, I will have the choice to pick up luggage at AMS or get my bags checked in straight to BOM. Realizing that CS folks can get to interpret incorrectly, any recent experiences how the baggage was handled for overnight >12 hour layover?

Second, I want to get to the city and will spend the night at the Courtyard close to the airport. My plan is to get the day ticket (24 hours) on GVB. Would this day pass allow/include train transportation from Schiphol airport to Amsterdam Centraal Station too? I realize that all tram/bus/subway is included in the day pass. Where is the best place to purchase these with American credit cards? Read in other posts that the airport is the only place where American credit cards are acceptable. If the day ticket is not valid on the Schiphol ->Amsterdam trains, what are the other inexpensive options?

(This is a one day break for us and include kids 10 and 12 yrs)
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum

I don't think GVB tickets are valid om the Railways. One way ticket to Amsterdam Centraal is €4,30 IRRC, and can be bought in the arrivals hall (Schiphol Plaza) where there are plenty of kiosks and manned desks. Also, there are machines at baggage reclaim.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by dealboss
I was told by the Delta CS folks that since I have a >6 hours layover, I will have the choice to pick up luggage at AMS or get my bags checked in straight to BOM. Realizing that CS folks can get to interpret incorrectly, any recent experiences how the baggage was handled for overnight >12 hour layover?
The information you were given matches my experience (most recent was about six months ago). Baggage reclaim at AMS can be painfully slow, I would recommend checking your bags all the way through unless there is something you need in Amsterdam that you can't carry on.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
why not stay in Amsterdam city center and enjoy a later evening.
I guess it depends on what time your flight leaves.
I have never had problems with checking luggage through in those cases of up to 24 hr layover.
Just make sure it is checked through in MSP and your tag says final destination BOM
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:12 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I don't think GVB tickets are valid om the Railways. One way ticket to Amsterdam Centraal is €4,30 IRRC, and can be bought in the arrivals hall (Schiphol Plaza) where there are plenty of kiosks and manned desks. Also, there are machines at baggage reclaim.

And when you buy the train ticket from a machine, dont fall for the trap of buying the first class ticket which is the default option! Change the class to 'second'.
This is a scandalous daylight robbery practise. Its a 12 to 15 minute journey, absolutey no value in going first class (you'd have to run along the platform looking for the first class section anyway and if you get a 'sprinter' train there isn't even first class.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Its a 12 to 15 minute journey, absolutey no value in going first class (you'd have to run along the platform looking for the first class section anyway and if you get a 'sprinter' train there isn't even first class.
It may be of value if you're travelling at a very busy time when there are no seats available in 2nd class. All trains have a first class in the Netherlands, including Sprinters.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:52 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by mfkne
It may be of value if you're travelling at a very busy time when there are no seats available in 2nd class. All trains have a first class in the Netherlands, including Sprinters.
I was not aware that Sprinters have first, thanks.
But as far a Schiphol - Amsterdam CS is concerned, I usually don't even go near the seats. With luggage it's better to stand near the doors for 15 minutes. And I would not leave my bags unattended near the doors on that particular stretch....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.