Where to go in Europe with 2 yr old?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
Where to go in Europe with 2 yr old?

Hello travelers,

Broad question but I'd really appreciate some guidance:

My husband and I would like to spend 10 days in Europe in early Nov with our 23 mos old. We're open (city, resort, country, etc) and would love any suggestions, especially those that can take in account the following. I am particularly keen on eating a ton (San Sebastian and Tuscany are high on the list). Also eager to see Copenhagen, elsewhere in Italy, Iceland. Probably less inclined to do France, UK, Scotland, Southern Spain, as we've had some recent trips there.

1. I will be 7 mos pregnant. While we love all sorts of adventure, easy navigation would great. Very open to a resort-type atmosphere (even that requires some extra plane, car travel, if it adds a lot of ease with baby)

2. Baby-friendly Accommodations - we'd love a suite or even house-like option. We have a massive amount of starwood points and would be thrilled to use those.

3. Happy to be mobile. We can rent a car and get out in the country or even split locations (eg, Barcelona & San Sebastian) but would love thoughts on this if I ought to just stay put.

4. If doing a city, direct from JFK would make air travel a lot easier...

Thanks so much as always!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:12 am
Suspended

http://wikitravel.org/en/Austria
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: Various
Austria is a great suggestion, if a bit chilly in early November. (Still worth it, IMHO.) If you do go the Austria route, you could look into the Kinderhotels that are dotted all over the countryside. The children's programs at most of them have the typical crafts, games, etc., but also include large servings of nature appreciation, which is nice.

You could also think of doing a split trip in Italy - half of the time in Florence, then tootling around Tuscany; or half in Florence, half in Rome or Venice. The train travel between the cities is so easy. I'm particularly partial to Rome, as you can eat really well, enjoy history and art, walk everywhere (which is still possible at 7 mos!), and still have plenty of places for the 2yo to run around. We have been there when our kids were all sorts of different ages. At 2, they loved the Piazza Navona, St. Peter's, and the Borghese and Gianicolo gardens.

Also, I'm sure that you already know about these websites, but rather than using points at the hotels, which can tend to be a bit more remote from the tourist spots, we have just rented flats through vrbo and homeaway.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:29 am
Suspended

You can Start in Vienna and some Days later you take the Train/ Bus so Venecia and back to Vienna via Salzburg (maybe a short Stop in Munich).

http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/maps.php
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Make sure you have a doctor's letter about the baby...

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

(I think most airlines apply the same 28/32/36 week ratios)

Europe by that time of year is going to be getting pretty miserable weather wise, although Copenhagen will have the Tivoli Christmas market going by then which would tick a lot of boxes. Also a great kids museum (by European standards anyway) in town, but I reckon 3 days and you'll be ready to head elsewhere.

The food is good in Copenhagen, too, with some acclaimed restaurants in Tivoli itself.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:41 am
Suspended

although Copenhagen will have the Tivoli Christmas market going by then which would tick a lot of boxes.
I belive Vienna have the biggest Christmas market in Europe. There are not only one there are up to 5. If you want you can spend up to one Week on Christmas markets.
The food is good in Copenhagen
but verry expensive.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
In general the weather in November will be gray, chilly and rainy. In the higher parts there might be already snow (especially the Alps). Normally Europeans try to escape to far south as possible. On the other hand if it is late November you can enjoy the pre-Christmas time. Especially in the German speaking parts of Europe tons of Christmas markets will open end of November.

About your question where to go with a two year old. There is no definite answer to this. It depends on what kind of activities you are comfortable with. If you are into museums, culture history etc. all major European capitals / larger cities will have plenty of that. For beautiful country side check out the Alps as suggested. Since you said you have tons of Starwood points go to spg.com and check out there hotels and resorts in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland etc.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think *wood points are used much more efficently on award airfare than on hotels(unless the cost of hotels has been reduced.)
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Italy is great, but lots of hilly walking in most of the cities.
Our 2 year old had a great time in London, but eating was a challenge. Kids menus were not the norm 6 years ago.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
All very helpful. Thanks to everyone!
We are considering Rome or Barcelona, perhaps with car rental (or train rides) and one trek out to the country. I've read that Rome is not very stroller friendly but we can blend stroller and carrier and walking, of course. I'd love to do Florence but the layover/second leg feels rather much like an additional burden I shouldn't undertake. We're already talking about 9 awake hours of flying on the return for most of these cities. I know we'll be fine but its still a challenge. (I have friends who've done trips with 2yr olds involving 13 hour flights but with me pregnant and us needing some serious relaxation I figure we should not overdo it on this trip.)

Particularly grateful for the pregnancy-letter tip. Had no idea.

I'll certainly follow up with a final decision.

If other people are suggesting options I think we're committed to non-stop flights (no layover) and the first week of November (sadly missing xmas markets!).

Thanks again!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Rome or Barcelona
The public transport system is verry bad and there are no elevator if you have a buggy.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
BCN is children unfriendly.

I went there with my sis before the kids come, and with suitcases (that's pretty much similar to a stroller with a kid in) it's hard to drill around using public transport.

Not that you can't do it but it will be a hard trip. Also you will have to watch out for yourself, your kid and your wallet.

In CPH you can get gourmet food relatively cheap compared to other things - drinks are expensive and in November you don't want to be here.

Austria is children friendly and you can get a discount train card so you can travel for half price. We went there with our 3 kids 2 times and they had a great time there. We flew into VIE and then took the train to Innsbruck and Salzburg. In Innsbruck we took the cable car up to the mountains. There were playground in parks for the kids too.

Vienna Zoo is a must, we love it and we prefer it over the famous SD Zoo. I don't know what the weather will be like in Nov. but with the darkness it certainly makes it less attractive.

What about southern Italy? You can get great food there and definitely warmer weather too.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you decide on Austria, I always love the Sheraton Jagdhof Fuschl. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=3567

It is about 20 minutes from Salzburg, so close enough to do a city trip, but also not as busy as in a downtown Salzburg. It's located in a very scenic area, close to some really nice small Austrian towns, like st Wolfgang.

The hotel is great value on Starpoints, (C&P especially) and it has some nice facilities for children as well, like a play room with all kinds of toys and a nice pool. I have been there with my little sister and she loves it there. At least for a few days it would be a great base to explore the surrounding area. If you have plat status with SPG you'd get a rally nice upgrade to a bi-level suite. IF not it would certainly pay to redeem some more points for this as with a child it would be very handy.

From there you could drive down to Italy for example (stay overnight at the Four Points Bolzano as a short stop and drive down to the Montebelluna/Valdobbiadene area, close to Venice. Its beautiful there and lots to do., plus you're only a short drive from Venice. You could stay in a nice Agriturismo there, a converted farm, which are not that expensive and of very high quality. When I am in that area I stay at the http://www.coldellerane.it/en/ Its a really nice place to stay with very friendly people.

If you need any more info contact me by pm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:24 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by bobjunior
All very helpful. Thanks to everyone!
We are considering Rome or Barcelona, perhaps with car rental (or train rides) and one trek out to the country. I've read that Rome is not very stroller friendly but we can blend stroller and carrier and walking, of course. I'd love to do Florence but the layover/second leg feels rather much like an additional burden I shouldn't undertake. We're already talking about 9 awake hours of flying on the return for most of these cities. I know we'll be fine but its still a challenge. (I have friends who've done trips with 2yr olds involving 13 hour flights but with me pregnant and us needing some serious relaxation I figure we should not overdo it on this trip.)

Particularly grateful for the pregnancy-letter tip. Had no idea.

I'll certainly follow up with a final decision.

If other people are suggesting options I think we're committed to non-stop flights (no layover) and the first week of November (sadly missing xmas markets!).

Thanks again!
I've come across a website that you may find useful: Ciao Bambino

And here's its page for Italy

And for Spain

Hope you all have a great time where ever you end up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.