Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Istanbul Safety

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Istanbul Safety

I went to Istanbul once last spring and had a very nice time. I was (and soon will be) travelling alone to visit past employees and recruit new ones. While I always felt safe, I am inquiring about the constant street encounters where a male asks, "you want Turkish Girls?", "you want a drink?". I am aware of the drink scam and would never go anywhere with anyone. I guess my question is, is there a standard response to get these people to avoid you? Also, I enjoy (in the US) just going to a bar and having a few drinks when I travel. Is it better to stick to hotel bars? (I stayed last year at Eresin Best Western, this year I will be at Ramada City Center). I don't want to be paranoid, yet I don't want to be stupid either. Last year I met several Turkish friends (past employees) and we went to a bar on the the walking street near Taxim with many people, I obviously felt safe with 7-8 Turkish frineds, but venturing out alone is what I am concerned about. Any thoughts are appreciated....
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: DL EZ TG AS
There are two things that have worked for me for the last thirty plus years of travel.

1. Go with your instinct. If you gut tells you it doesn't feel right, move on.
2. Go with a local. If your past employees are unavailable ask them if they can recommend someone that can show you around. Worst comes to worst pay for a tour guide and that can be hit or miss sometimes.
My first trip to Chiang Mai my Guide that was the night hotel manager where I was staying, took me to some great places and also to just about every jewelry,tailor and carpet store in the region. No was not in his vocabulary.

Bottom line is: Use common sense.
Good luck
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
I spent three weeks in Istanbul recently traveling alone and never once felt unsafe, nor had the propositions you mentioned. My only annoyance was being approached by people wanting to sell me carpet. I found it best to politely but firmly shake my finger while saying "No, no, no" and keep walking.
One thing you might consider is joining Couchsurfing.com It is about networking as much as it is people looking to 'surf' a couch. Istanbul has one of the largest member bases and has gatherings two or three times a week. I went to one in Taksim (think it was at a bar called Rouge). It was very well-attended, even offering 1 lire off drink prices and free snacks for attendees.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
If someone says "Excuse me" and tries to get your attention, ignore them and keep walking, do not make eye contact. I've had people try to scam me like a dozen times since I got here in Istanbul. "Excuse me, you dropped something" was used, "Excuse me.." like a half dozen times, "Where you from?" a half dozen times, and my favorite, they talk to me in Turkish and then apologize in English (I know where this leads, "Oh I am so sorry, let me buy you a drink!" Where they proceed to take you to a local bar, ladies come and talk to you, next thing you know you have a bill for 300 Turkish Lira and you've had 2 beers, and then burly Turkish men try to intimidate you). So yeah, just ignore anyone who tries to talk to you and you'll be set. I just pretend I can't understand English and keep walking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.