Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 days in Budapest

5 days in Budapest

Old Jan 31, 12, 5:41 am
Original Poster

5 days in Budapest

We will be in Budapest for 5 days (family 3 children 15, 13, 11)...made the reservation on a whim...staying at the Hilton.

Even though we are well traveled, we literally know nothing of Hungary....suggestions for an itn?
Old Jan 31, 12, 5:26 pm

Budapest has interesting museums if your kids like museums. I recommend that you take the 11 year old (and the others if they are game) to the Children's Railway. See http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...-Budapest.html Most of the work is done by young people who take their jobs quite seriously.
Old Feb 1, 12, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by AAaLot View Post
We will be in Budapest for 5 days (family 3 children 15, 13, 11)...made the reservation on a whim...staying at the Hilton.

Even though we are well traveled, we literally know nothing of Hungary....suggestions for an itn?
I have one digital download remaining from Lonely Planet's latest Budapest guide. PM me your email and I will happily send you the link.
My intended 3 day visit in July turned into two weeks with a brief return in October. It's a beautiful, fun destination. @:-)

Last edited by The Juiceman; Feb 1, 12 at 12:26 am
Old Feb 1, 12, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY
If your kids are into history, I think they'll enjoy the National Museum and the House of Terror very much. The Ethnography Museum is also a very good choice if you also decide to go on a tour of the Hungarian Parliament: the museum is right in front of the building on the other side of Kossuth Lajos tér.

There's also Buda Castle and St. Mathias Church, the rock church near Szent Gellert tér (under the Monument to Liberty), City Park and the Statue Park down south (which I wish I went to).
Old Feb 1, 12, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA/AA
If you want to be a hero to your kids, take them to the baths of Budapest.

They will love the wave pool at the Gellert Hotel.

The Szechenyi Baths in the City Park on the Pest side are also very kid friendly. The have a circular jet spray (don't know how to describe it, but kids love it).
There's a zoo, a railroad museum, and a fantasy castle adjacent to the baths.

Also, consider the caves in the Buda Hills. The longest is called Palvolgyi.
Old Feb 14, 12, 6:30 am

Programs: AA, CO
The Terror Museum is interesting but if I had to guess its impact will be somewhat lost on the younger kids. Many of the rooms are more art piece than museum so I'd go for that alone (but I'm an art lover).

We also really enjoyed the food tour recommended on Trip Advisor. It was a bit on the pricey side but worth every penny and then some. They even followed up with us once we got back and realized we had lost a recipe from our tour. If you go try the horse sausage, as soon as you get over the fact you're eating Mr. Ed you'll LOVE it.

Enjoy Budapest!
Old Feb 17, 12, 5:35 am

Could you give a few more information about your chidlren? E.g. their gender, their interests. Budapest can show a lot of history to them, but remembering the 11 yrs old me, visiting museums, churches and a castle wouldn't be so entertaining for 5 consecutive days(even though I have always been into history).

It would also be nice to know the date of your visit If you come in March, that's usually a perfect period to take hikes in the nearby Buda hills and forests, you just have to bring warm clothes, some hot tea and a few sandwiches. April is traditionally a rainy and capricious month(but the past few years the seasons and months have been very dizzy, they don't know anymore when rain and snow and fog and heat waves should arrive ), so for that time I'd suggest indoor activities(Parliament tour, the Ethnograpcial Museum on the other side of Kossuth tér, the National Museum, the Military History Museum in the Buda Castle, the caves of the Buda Castle - there is a labirinth down there which is quite interesting -, etc).

If you give me these information I can probably give better advice.
Old Feb 22, 12, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
We liked Budapest so much we went back a second time! If you and your family are into medicine and science, the Ignatz Semmelweiss Museum is interesting. He was one of the first doctors to realize that women wouldn't die of childbed fever after giving birth if doctors would wash their hands. The museum is the house where he was born and it has a lot of interesting old medical and dental instruments on display.

A good day trip is Szentendre; you take a boat down the Danube, which is half the fun, and while Szentendre is a bit touristy, it's beautiful and has a lot of interesting shops.

Your kids should enjoy riding the funicular up the Pest hill. If any of you want a good workout, there are hiking trails up the hill, too.
Old Feb 23, 12, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Budapest is an excellent city. There are some nice views and attractions up the Pest Hill. Yes the Funicular Ride up the hill is also fun. I did it both ways lol!
Old Apr 5, 12, 8:36 pm
Suspended

I am planning a trip to BUD as well (solo) but have not yet decided for how long. It will either be 3 or 4 days (Fri - Mo/Tu). Any suggestions? Is there a lot to see? I plan to visit the Castle and baths, but I'm not into museums. Anything else?
Old Apr 5, 12, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
I am planning a trip to BUD as well (solo) but have not yet decided for how long. It will either be 3 or 4 days (Fri - Mo/Tu). Any suggestions? Is there a lot to see? I plan to visit the Castle and baths, but I'm not into museums. Anything else?
If you are into an interesting bar scene check out the ruinpubs. One is called Instant and another is, well, sounds like 'Splenda'. I will try to dig up my notes and see if I can offer any more info on them.
Traveling solo (as I did) I enjoy staying in hostels. A great one in BUD is called "Home Made Hostel', one of the top-rated hostels in the world. They have a bar tour that is a blast.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: