A little help on Belgium please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

I will be traveling to Belgium with my father in October. We will be basing in Brussels, and brancing out to Ghent, Bruges, Antwerp and more from there.

I'd love to find a world-class cocktail lounge/bar in Brussels. Something like the Hemingway Bar or one of the Harry's in Italy. Anyone have any suggestions for me? We'll be staying close to the Grande Place.

I'd also like to learn of any once in a lifetime experiences in Belgium or close by. Are there any private tours? Any splurges worth considering for a special trip?

We'll both be celebrating b-days while there; any ideas on special things to do?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Belgians aren't really cocktail drinkers. I know of one bar in Antwerp called SIPS, but I have never been there.
http://www.sips-cocktails.com/nederlands/
Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dingo
I will be traveling to Belgium with my father in October. We will be basing in Brussels, and brancing out to Ghent, Bruges, Antwerp and more from there.

I'd love to find a world-class cocktail lounge/bar in Brussels. Something like the Hemingway Bar or one of the Harry's in Italy. Anyone have any suggestions for me? We'll be staying close to the Grande Place.

I'd also like to learn of any once in a lifetime experiences in Belgium or close by. Are there any private tours? Any splurges worth considering for a special trip?

We'll both be celebrating b-days while there; any ideas on special things to do?
The Grand Place is one of my favorite places in the world. Pleasing to the eye, always seems to be something happening, and the area around it has a lot of character. Yeah, the locals think of it as a tourist trap, but I really like the experience in the vicinity of the Grand Place. So, good choice staying there.

Don't know how long you are going to be there, but due to its location and train service you can actually do day trips to Paris and Amsterdam, as well as Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp.

The things mostly associated with Belgium are Mussels, Chocolate, Beer, Manneken Pis and Lace.

Oddly enough, Mussels in Brussels sounds more poetic than Moules à Bruxelles. Still, you can get Mussels fixed dozens of different ways in Brussels. Do try them at least once. I am not much of a seafood guy myself, but we always have an appetizer of Mussels ala Escargot at least once when there.

You cannot walk a block without passing at least one chocolate shop. I think Belgian chocolate is the best in the world. And, don't just go for the biggies (Godiva, Neuhaus, Leonidas), there are myriad one-of-a-kind chocolate shops that are excellant.

I agree with dimramon, in Belgium you should think Beer rather than cocktails. On my first trip I sat next to a Belgian woman on the plane and she told me that they have 180 different kinds of beer. Even if you are not usually a beer drinker, you might want to experiment with some of the Trappist and Lambic brews. I got away from beer (well, bud/miller/strohs) and into wine some years ago. But, my travels to Belgium (and the advent of the Boston Brewing Co) helped turn me into a real craft brew fan.

Manneken Pis is worth the few minutes walk from the Grand Place just so you can say you saw him. There is also a museum there of all the costumes people have brought for the statue, but I have not been to it. (By the way, see if you can also track down Jeanneken Pis)

If the weather is nice, you may actually run across women sitting outside lace shops making lace. Worth watching for a few minutes, in my opinion, to appreciate the complexity of the work. Saw one in Bruges my first trip there.

If you are into museums, my favorites in Brussels are the Comic Strip Museum and the Museum of Musical Instruments. There also used to be a Chocolate Museum and a Beer Museum on the Grand Place. Neither was very big, but I did find both fun. Seems to me, though, we found one of them missing on our last trip. Just can't remember which one.

Sorry, no once-in-a-lifetime recommendations (unless, of course, you have never been to Paris), but I do wish you and your father an enjoyable time.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
I am currently sitting in Ghent, Belgium enjoying the incredible summer-like weather. Like the others, I would also suggest you stick to beer here. Belgians aren't big cocktail drinkers, but the large variety of beer guarantees that there will be something suitable to everyone's taste. They even make gluten-free beers here!

If you decide to eat in Ghent, I would recommend Pakhuis, Le Baan Thai, Brasserie de Graslei, and The House of Elliott. I have found the BEST chocolates there as well at Chocolatier Van Hoorebeke (two locations). Ghent looks similar to Bruges but it is a much more lively city, mostly because of the presence of a large university. Bruges is gorgeous, but has the feeling of an open-air museum where they roll up the sidewalks at night. For shopping, Antwerp is great.

On edit: if you get a warmish sunny day in October, definitely take a canal boat tour in Bruges or Ghent.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The war museum in Brussels is quite interesting as well if you're into that kid of thing. Also a nice bar to go to is the Delirium cafe.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thank folks. I'm all in on the beer; I've been to Belgium before and love the beers. I was looking for cocktails for a break from the beer bar. Thanks for all of the other suggestions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.