Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

listing for short term rentals? - Dutch countryside or small town

Old Apr 19, 11, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex

I'm looking for a resource I can use to search for available accommodations to rent for a short stay (a few days) in the Netherlands, roughly in the area between Den Haag, Utrecht, and Alkmaar, but not in Amsterdam. We will have time in Amsterdam, but I'm wanting to follow that with a few days in a rental car going to see sights in Den Haag/Scheviningen, some dikes and windmills (Zaanse Schans, perhaps), Marken and/or Volendam, maybe Gouda and/or Delft, and perhaps the Friday morning Alkmaar cheese market. For this period I'm hoping to find a more rural or at least less expensive and more car-friendly apartment or house to rent, and most of my searches end up finding apartments in Amsterdam. We're a family with young kids, so if possible I'd like to avoid a hotel, since that's likely to require two rooms that will cost more and deliver less than an apartment or home rental.

Can anyone suggest a good research for finding the kind of rental I know must be out there? Or alternatively, suggest a charming smaller town (Edam?) where I might find something by concentrating a "lodging" search on that town?
Old Apr 20, 11, 12:17 pm

Programs: KLM, Thalys
You can search in Google for "vakantiehuis huren". If you would like to really experience this country, I suggest you trade the car for bicycles, which are quite easy and very cheap to rent. You can rent them, for example, at many train stations. There is still an excellent public transport system that combines buses and trains and can go almost anywhere. All of the destinations you mentioned are reachable by public transport, for example.

If you rent an apartment or home near a bigger city - for example, look at the small towns outside Amsterdam - you will find it even easier to get around.

Good luck.
Old Apr 21, 11, 12:40 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
I just read your post again and mis-understood "short stay". I thought you meant only a few weeks. I don't think that you will find a house or apartment rental for only a few days. I think you could better look for a bed and breakfast or small hotel.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: