Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dutch flower fields - May 29/30 too late?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex

I've read that the flower season in the Dutch flower fields lasts through "late" May. My family will be meeting me in Amsterdam on the 29th. Is that too late, or would it still be worth venturing out to see what we can find at that point? If it's not too late, are there preferred routes/areas for that late in the season?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
The best place to see the spring flowers is of course Keukenhof (http://www.keukenhof.nl/). As you will see, they are only open until 20 May. I'm sure there will still be fields of flowers on flower farms when you are here, but I don't know any that are open for tours.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Thanks. Yes, I had seen that Keukenhof closes May 20. That's one of the clues I had that perhaps the 29th/30th could be too late. I'm not necessarily looking for a farm to visit - just an idea whether I need to scedule our day trips out to the windmills and cheese and fishing towns for the first days after we arrive because there might still be a fast-fading display in the fields, and if so, whether there's a particular route or area that would be recommended for that time. If it makes no difference, we'd probably prefer to see Amsterdam on the first few days and then venture out after that.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
The tulip growing areas of the country are in the provinces of South Holland West Friesland and Flevoland. IOW, not very near Amsterdam. The last week the weather here has gotten much nicer so it is likely that if you travel just outside Amsterdam, for example, to a village like Broek in Waterland, you will see many houses decorated with flowers. There are many other small villages that will also be decorated, it is actually rather common here.

I have seen fields of tulips mostly when I travel in the train going south, so in South Holland. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.