Croatia/Slovenia Car Rental & Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff

Mrs. AC110 and I are going to fly from Prague to Zagreb later this month to rent a car and spend a week or so driving around Croatia and area. Our thoughts are to go up into Ljubljana so see Ljubljana and Bled, then back into Croatia, over to the coast and down to Split and perhaps to Dubrovnik.

We'd be grateful for any hotel recommendations, must-see recommendations or other useful information.

We know nothing about car rentals in Croatia, particularly to go into Slovenia and on the stretch of highway E65 that passes through Bosnia on the way to Dubrovnik. Any advice or things to watch out for with car rentals? Better to rent at the airport in Zagreb or downtown?

We'll also need a hotel at or near the Zagreb airport for the last night as we'll have an early flight out.

We're really looking forward to it, have been wanting to see Croatia for a long time.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Don't know about car rentals, but I can recommend the Le Meridien Split in Croatia and the Hotel Slon (Best Western) in the center of Ljubljana.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA/AA
From UK Independent September 4, 2010

48 Hours in Ljubljana.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...a-2069022.html
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
Car rental is no problem--just let then know that you'll be taking it into Slovenia. Also, remember than when crossing the border with a Croatian car you will need to buy a Vinjeta to put on your windshield--this is the toll/tax that allows you to drive on the Motorways.

I agree with Stimpy that the Hotel Slon is the best hotel in Ljubljana and it is right in the middle of everything you need to see there.

We like the Hotel Golf in Bled as this has great balcony views of the lake and castle and is an easy walk to great cafes, etc. Be sure to go to the tavern called Gostilna pri Planincu -- walk up the hill toward the bus stop and you'll see it. Great food and very good prices.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
What is Slovenia like in end of October? Very cold or not as interesting? I am deciding between a weekend in Ljubliana or Rome during work trip layover.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Autumn like weather probably. Could be better, could be worse.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
Autumn like weather probably. Could be better, could be worse.
Just got back from Istria...26oC on Wed. and Thursday but only 17oC and rainy on Friday and Saturday. My past experience is that the later you go the less stable the weather will be, at least in the northern parts of Croatia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.