Wiki Posts
Search

best route planner/mapping site?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: no status
best route planner/mapping site?

I will be visiting Europe soon, intending on driving through Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and Czech Republic. I have reserved a Prius from Hertz, and don't expect it to have a built in navigation system. For travels in Canada or US, I tend to use Google Maps or MSN maps for route planning, and I am wondering what I should use for this trip. I would like a site that finds decent routes and has printable directions and maps. I may not have access to internet or a printer on the way, so would like to have my main trips (up to about 500km each) planned ahead of time. Michelin, Google, MSN ... what's the best?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Google maps is the best but http://www.viamichelin.com/ is ok as well
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
I prefer http://www.viamichelin.com/ for trip planning and printing out route instructions. The Michelin sign info reflects that on the actual signs. Also points out radar installations. It provides different routes such as recommended, fastest, and least expensive (i.e. avoiding tolls).

Google has better satellite images and its street view is excellent.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have always been able to rent a GPS from the car rental company; usually pricey but worth it.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:08 am

route planner

Yes, I heard that Hertz clients now can have the NeverLost navigation system in their car but I am not sure whether you have to ask for it or if it's made available in all cars. You should ask them. As for mapping sites, I usually compare google, michelin and mappy before I opt to print out one, because it's not always the same site that is better at finding the best route.
Old May 7, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Many Hertz Europe cars come with GPS, but I have never seen one with NeverLost, but the factory installed units. If you're to be there more than a couple fo weeks it may be cheaper to just buy a portable GPS that you can use everywhere. The list price for a Garmin preloaded with NA and EU maps is $280 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=32916 I use mine everywhere and find it addictive. An aded benefit is that you can plan on your computer and download your selected waypoints. Coverage is comprehensive except for the Czech republic which does not have all rural areas but has good coverage of all major cities.

This option will simplify your life because of all the planning you can do on your own computer. both Google Maps and viamichelin produce waypoints you can easily load and viamichelin has pretty comprehensive hotel, restaurant and sightseeing locations, including obscure ones. The combination of the GPS and those sites has been unbeatable for me.
Old May 12, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
maps.google.com, viamichelin and mappy are all good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.