Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Etihad from NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON Circle, Premier M&M World MC, UA MP
Flying Etihad from NYC

I've heard you can fly Etihad to Abu Dhabi for a few grand less than flying into DXB (FC) but the main perk is they take you in a limo to Dubai and it's much quicker to get through Abu Dhabi than Dubai.

Is this true?

Is Etihad apart of any airline alliance?
Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
EY will set you back about $12K RT in F to AUH (with a free limo to DXB) whereas EK will cost about $15K. AUH is much quicker to get through to than DXB but not enough to offset the time it takes to travel to DXB from AUH.

EY is not part of an alliance.

Cheers,
Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:59 am

Actually, overall travel time to a Dubai destination depends on where you need to go in Dubai. If your destination is in the Dubai Marina area (towards Abu Dhabi) the overall travel time through AUH will actually be faster.

But then again the crazy freeway between AUH and DXB is no fun - lots of casualties due to a mixture of speeding young Emirati and incompetent taxi drivers.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Actually, overall travel time to a Dubai destination depends on where you need to go in Dubai. If your destination is in the Dubai Marina area (towards Abu Dhabi) the overall travel time through AUH will actually be faster.

But then again the crazy freeway between AUH and DXB is no fun - lots of casualties due to a mixture of speeding young Emirati and incompetent taxi drivers.
It also depends on traffic and other factors but I'd still argue that DXB is closer from the Marina area. I was staying in Emirates Hills [about 5 minutes from the Marina] and we had two cars leave the house at the same time, once bound for AUH and one bound for DXB. The DXB car reached DXB airport about 25 minutes before the AUH car reached AUH airport. This was in the middle of the day on a weekday. YMMV

Cheers,
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
we had two cars leave the house at the same time, once bound for AUH and one bound for DXB. The DXB car reached DXB airport about 25 minutes before the AUH car reached AUH airport.
Surely that's not a fair comparison, as it doesn't factor in the INBOUND advantage AUH has over DXB? Your example is for OUTBOUND. However I agree, it does depend on where your final destination is in Dubai.

abcxyz - the main perk you might wish to consider is the quality of the in-flight product. I haven't flown EK's J product for about two years now, as I was finding their J seating to be comparatively cramped, but have experienced EY's J four times in the past four months - it was excellent (admittedly it wasn't F). Of course EK's A380 might make me form a different opinion.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I think you should give EY a try. You will be quite impressed with their FC service and seat. You will save some bucks and you will have a BMW car whisking you to your hotel in Dubai and take you back to your flight.

I don't think that EK is that impressive in their 77W. However, A 380 is a different story.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Surely that's not a fair comparison, as it doesn't factor in the INBOUND advantage AUH has over DXB? Your example is for OUTBOUND. However I agree, it does depend on where your final destination is in Dubai.
Agreed, but that is as far as you can go towards AUH while technically still being in 'Dubai' and DXB is still closer than AUH. In terms of inbound advantage, I think you would only reach the marina area quicker from AUH if you were arriving around midnight. With that being said, anything can go wrong at either airport. [For example, my dad once waited 100 minutes for baggage delivery at AUH]

Cheers,
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
Originally Posted by LH/LX
I think you should give EY a try. You will be quite impressed with their FC service and seat. You will save some bucks and you will have a BMW car whisking you to your hotel in Dubai and take you back to your flight.

I don't think that EK is that impressive in their 77W. However, A 380 is a different story.
Don't count on the BMW, more like a mini van or some sort of Ford. I have flown into both at different times of the day, I have a villa on the Creek and we have an apartment at the marina. From experience it is quicker to fly into AUH and drive to the marina, unless it is a Friday then DXB would be much quicker. Although it did take me about 45 minutes to get to the creek from the airport the last time I was there, the distance is probably 3 Km's.

Either way something will happen and you will get delayed using either airport, hopefullly not Inshallah.

edited for clarity.

Last edited by AftOf245; Jan 29, 2009 at 1:02 pm
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by AftOf245
Either way something will happen and you will get delayed using either airport, Inshallah.

WOW.. why do you wish the OP to get delayed at either airport?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:01 pm

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
WOW.. why do you wish the OP to get delayed at either airport?
Its not that I want anybody to get delayed, when it does happen though that is the response, therefore we must live with it. It is meant to be.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by AftOf245

Either way something will happen and you will get delayed using either airport, hopefullly not Inshallah.

edited for clarity.

yeah.. i thought so.. it is clear after editing.

I never traveled through Abu Dhabi airport, always using DXB, other than the long walk from gate to customs/immigration, I always found the service at DXB to be quick and easy.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
I fly EY all the time in F and C to and from AUH. I am always headed to DXB and the fact of the matter is that when you are being driven at 110 mph thru the desert, yes it DOES offset the amount of time you spend walking thru the massive DXB airport, waiting in a fast track line that doesn't really exist and then wiating up to an hour for bags.

AUH is like flying into geneva. I have gone from gate to car w/i 10 minutes including baggage pickup.

EY also is a ton better than EK in the air.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON Circle, Premier M&M World MC, UA MP
What perks do you enjoy on EY? Are there any trip reports? Is it like SQ?

Pity it's not on *A, but I'll keep it in mind if a client wants to pay for it.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Will post trip report soon

Originally Posted by abcxyz
What perks do you enjoy on EY? Are there any trip reports? Is it like SQ?

Pity it's not on *A, but I'll keep it in mind if a client wants to pay for it.

Hello - I just returned from Australia on EY flying in Biz class (and one upgraded leg to F - yee ha!).

Excellent product all round. Limo service from home to airport was very welcome (central NJ to JFK is horrid drive and expensive, so limo was a great saving for me). Same in Sydney. Limo to hotel and back again - great service.

In-flight Biz is excellent, so is F, but I wouldn't personally pay the extra to travel in F. Biz is more than acceptable.

Try EY. You'll really like it. As I said in another post, wish there was some way I could've credited by CO FF account with the miles! I'd be almost Gold from one flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.