Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Whinge about Wamos, get a complimentary upgrade to F?

Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I had the Wamos experience at the start of my holiday in early December travelling to CGK. When I received the email asking for comments I said the soft product was fine but the seats (especially in lay flat mode) were a discrace, to the extent I would't travel Etihad J again if it involved a Wamos leg.

Fast forward 4 weeks and I'm at the gate in AUH boarding my A380 flight back to LHR when I get the legendary ping, and my J boarding pass got swaped to F. Was it just coincidence, or was it the Wamos moan that got me noticed. I very rarely fly EY, so it wasn't a case of keeping a loyal customer happy.

On the F suite experience, it was 1H so it was a backward facing aisle seat. Seat was better than J and so was the food and drink. Being a short daytime flight I did't try the bed, but it looked a major improvement from J. About a month before my flight I checked out the bid for an upgrade and the minimum bid was about 2,200. For a short daytime flight I wouldn't value the upgrade at more than 500, may be 1000 if it was a long flight where you could sleep and enjoy the food and dring.

PS: Y, J or F - the selection on the IFE was crap.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:34 pm

Dont think it was the complaint as had it been you would have been upgraded at the checkin desk and not gate, probably an over booked flight is my guess
fridgy likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by suley
Dont think it was the complaint as had it been you would have been upgraded at the checkin desk and not gate, probably an over booked flight is my guess
I see what you mean. They only hand out gate upgrades when they know for certain how many people have checked in, and if the cabin is definately over sold.

Given there are 70 J seats, I wonder why they gave an upgrade to somebody who hasn't flown EY for over 10 years?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Etihad upgrades are a mystery - I've flown EY 160 times in the last ten years and only been upgraded five times, two of which were for non revenue (points) bookings. My most recent operational upgrade was in 2014. Not that I'm bitter or anything.
kelix likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:33 pm

I've taken EY19 three times last year on cash bookings and have been upgraded to First every time, First time I had no status, 2nd time was silver and 3rd time was gold and had just come off a Wamos flight. I've also had a glance at the business cabin and it wasn't full, so not sure why I was getting upgraded.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:01 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by csdf
Etihad upgrades are a mystery - I've flown EY 160 times in the last ten years and only been upgraded five times, two of which were for non revenue (points) bookings. My most recent operational upgrade was in 2014. Not that I'm bitter or anything.
Exactly why I gave up, no op ups since 2018 and then after 15 years top tier I got Cancer and couldn't fly enough to maintain. Their answer, tough luck ! So I moved to Qatar but used my voucher for last flights - now a Gold first flight pingggggg F

I give up they're a mess
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Zenpang
I've taken EY19 three times last year on cash bookings and have been upgraded to First every time, First time I had no status, 2nd time was silver and 3rd time was gold and had just come off a Wamos flight. I've also had a glance at the business cabin and it wasn't full, so not sure why I was getting upgraded.
You must resemble an influencer
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:57 am

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
Not so much a mystery. Revenue management oversells the flights in lower cabins if J isnt selling and Y is full. Etihad will also roll people forward if there are standby non-revs (staff ticketing) standing by on lower class cabins and those cabins are full.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:25 pm

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
I'm 5'10" and Eithad business seat in lie flat mode, my feet at push against the front of the compartment and I can barely fit (787). I'm left wondering how does anyone taller manage to have a comfortable experience?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:58 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by hessinger
Not so much a mystery. Revenue management oversells the flights in lower cabins if J isnt selling and Y is full. Etihad will also roll people forward if there are standby non-revs (staff ticketing) standing by on lower class cabins and those cabins are full.
I understand how upgrades work. I don't understand how they are so unequally distributed. I know people who fly once a year and are Silver or Gold who get upgraded every time. Whereas I am flying 5-10x a year as a Platinum and not being upgraded ever. I know a couple, one is Gold, the other Platinum. The Gold frequently gets upgraded, the Platinum, like me, hasn't been upgraded in nearly a decade.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:01 am

I understand how upgrades work. I don't understand how they are so unequally distributed. I know people who fly once a year and are Silver or Gold who get upgraded every time. Whereas I am flying 5-10x a year as a Platinum and not being upgraded ever. I know a couple, one is Gold, the other Platinum. The Gold frequently gets upgraded, the Platinum, like me, hasn't been upgraded in nearly a decade.
And that's why there's a rush to the door to leave them

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.