Options other than EC261

Old May 19, 2023, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Options other than EC261

Hello

long time lurker, first time poster. I think I know the answer to this but thought it worth double checking.

We were recently flying Business Class from MLE (Maldives) to Manchester via AUH.

Due to a technical fault, the flight from MLE was cancelled just before midnight after we had to disembark. We had the most bizarre delay (no hotels anywhere near MLE airport) and subsequently arrived at MAN exactly 24 hours late.

Now, I am pretty certain we are not covered under EC261 for the reason EY are not EU based and the origin was not in the EU. However, is there any point whatsoever in attempting to complain and is there likely any redress?

Im unaware if they have their own scheme or not, or should I just leave this one and put it down to bad luck and one of those things.
Old May 19, 2023, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by mercurial1985
long time lurker, first time poster. I think I know the answer to this but thought it worth double checking.

We were recently flying Business Class from MLE (Maldives) to Manchester via AUH.

Due to a technical fault, the flight from MLE was cancelled just before midnight after we had to disembark. We had the most bizarre delay (no hotels anywhere near MLE airport) and subsequently arrived at MAN exactly 24 hours late.

Now, I am pretty certain we are not covered under EC261 for the reason EY are not EU based and the origin was not in the EU. However, is there any point whatsoever in attempting to complain and is there likely any redress?

I’m unaware if they have their own scheme or not, or should I just leave this one and put it down to bad luck and one of those things.
UK now have its own version of EC261, generally referred to as UK261. But as EY is not a UK airline that will not apply and its an arriving flight. Departing flights are in EC261/UK261 scope.

The Middle East is not known for its consumer protection. What are you hoping for? It will not be as UK261 compensation. You can ask, but best to expect little

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 19, 2023 at 6:19 pm
Old May 19, 2023, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I have minor out of pocket expenses which are not worthy of the hassle outside of a compensation claim. If there was success with goodwill compensation I would have attempted but if unlikely I wouldnt bother.

Based on your comments, I wont bother.
Old May 19, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mercurial1985
Thanks.

I have minor out of pocket expenses which are not worthy of the hassle outside of a compensation claim. If there was success with goodwill compensation I would have attempted but if unlikely I wouldnt bother.

Based on your comments, I wont bother.
I've had a 12 hour delay with EY at AUH and got nothing. If your credit card provides travel insurance, you can try for that. Other than that, I doubt EY will.offer anything
mercurial1985 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.