Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Newbie Questions: Transit Related

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Some Newbie Questions: Transit Related

Hi FT friends.
Long time United/Star Alliance flyer, just booked my first trip on Etihad and looking for a little advice, mostly about my layover.

TRIP: Mid July, One-Way. BKK->AUH->ORD. Business Class, purchased ($) directly from Etihad website (787-10 / A350-1000, if that matters)
Layover: Arrive AUH at 23:10 hours on a Monday evening. Depart at 09:45 hours on Tuesday Morning. (10 hours, 35 minutes).
Myself: USA Passport. Fully Vaccinated including booster.

I have looked through many of the recent posts, but not quite clear on accuracy of some of the info due to changing COVID rules.

Basic question is whether to exit airport during my layover or just camp out at a lounge.

Appears there is an option to request a free hotel room at "Premier Inn Abu Dhabi Airport", which is walkable from airport. Seems like a good idea, but want to confirm:
I can get visa on arrival for entry into UAE? Seems there is a free "4
8-Hour Transit Visa - Single Entry" option listed. Do I need to apply in advance, or just go to immigration and get stamped in?
I see references to "Al Hosn Green Pass" to enable use of facilities. Does that include the hotel room? Or just to use pool, gym, restaurant, etc. Would the hassle / risk of PCR test be worth it to get landside to a hotel room?

Or does is make more sense / less hassle to just stay airside at the business class lounge? I see it is open 24 hours. Any rest / nap areas? Would plan to stay awake for most of the layover and get some computer work done, but might need a power nap at some point.
Assume the lounge is pretty full service, even through the overnight hours?

Anything else I should be aware of?
Appreciate any insights or suggestions. This is my first trip on any Middle Eastern airline and just want to make sure I am not overlooking something. THANKS!
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: krisflyer
Curious too. Have a layover for 11h25 min from 11.15pm to 10.40am the next morning. Not eligible for the free hotel room because my J class ticket don't meet the below criteria lol. Are there any facility to nap in the lounge? Or am I better off just booking the airport hotel?
  • Meet the minimum fare requirement of US $500 for one-way flights, and US $750 per person for return flights, including fares and taxes
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
To each his own but I would not leave AUH for a 10 hour layover at half past eleven at night, especially where there's a 24-hour lounge available. Keep in mind that you'll have US pre-clearance before boarding and that could take upto a half-hour.
pzpa likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by makrxx
Curious too. Have a layover for 11h25 min from 11.15pm to 10.40am the next morning. Not eligible for the free hotel room because my J class ticket don't meet the below criteria lol. Are there any facility to nap in the lounge? Or am I better off just booking the airport hotel?
  • Meet the minimum fare requirement of US $500 for one-way flights, and US $750 per person for return flights, including fares and taxes
Wow. Must have been some deal...or not a very far trip?

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
To each his own but I would not leave AUH for a 10 hour layover at half past eleven at night, especially where there's a 24-hour lounge available. Keep in mind that you'll have US pre-clearance before boarding and that could take upto a half-hour.
Thanks for that. I did read someplace mentioning USA pre-clearance, but kind of forgot about that. Will be helpful to catch a connecting (separate ticket) flight out of ORD.
Any insight into the lounge nap area question?

Last edited by goodeats21; Jun 16, 2022 at 5:43 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wow. Must have been some deal...or not a very far trip?
Error fare yeah...350USD Asia to Europe
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.