Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad travel credit - won't be using

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:25 am

I have called emailed and complained, just they will not reply or even if it just says no refund possible.
My expiry is in May 2022 and cannot make a journey this year any way. Stuck!!

This airline is a mess and they have hiked their ticket prices as well, does not match with Emirates or similar competitors.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:07 pm

I am in the same boat. I purchased enough for 2 Business class airfares at the time, now I am struggling to pay for one with the same credit
Also, travel restrictions mean I will just have to book something 8 months ahead and hope for the best
I certainly regret buying the travel credit.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:27 am

Quick update to my situation:
I have complained to Etihad several times just to fall into deaf ears.
1. In Nov 2021 I finally wrote to the via email to [email protected] stating that I will be taking them to court, I received a reply on 20th Jan 2022 stating they will not refund.
2. Submitted a complaint to CAA showing the response from Etihad, CAA replied stating they are contacting Etihad for an explanation as my case was valid. (still waiting for a reply)
3. Based on CAA / Etihad response I contacted CC Company and made a claim under sect 75. Even though the transaction was over 24 months they have refunded the money back to the card account.

Not sure how Etihad will deal this now! Can they send me an invoice for the amount?

I suggest you all who are not planning to travel anytime soon, follow the steps above and get your hard earned money back.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by samkma
Quick update to my situation:
3. Based on CAA / Etihad response I contacted CC Company and made a claim under sect 75. Even though the transaction was over 24 months they have refunded the money back to the card account.

Not sure how Etihad will deal this now! Can they send me an invoice for the amount?
As far as I know charge-back refunds only become final after a few months.

My understanding is that (in the UK at least) your bank will refund the money to your account immediately but Etihad still has the right to contest the charge-back. If they do then your bank will consider your version of the events, and Etihad's, and come to a decision. They could reverse the refund if Etihad are convincing.

Whether Eithad would bother contesting this with the bank or not is another matter. I doubt that they would as it seems fairly clear that they are just trying it on in the hope that many people won't do charge-backs and will just let Etihad keep their money. Based on comments here that does seem to be the case, astonishing as that may seem.

If Etihad did issue an invoice, and if you did not pay it, then it would be up to them to take you to court for non-payment and I can't see any UK court backing them on that as Etihad clearly have not provided the service you originally paid for. So I doubt they would do that.

Let's all be thankful for charge-back regulations and consumer protection laws.

Moral: always pay by credit card.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by DarrelT
The poster did not do a chargeback but instead used a Section 75 claim. Is the same true for these?
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by ft101
The poster did not do a chargeback but instead used a Section 75 claim. Is the same true for these?
That's a good point.

I do see some reports online of Section 75 claims being reversed, and presumably the company that the claim is made against always has the possibility of showing that it did provide the goods or services that it was supposed to provide. Otherwise customers could just make totally false claims about anything.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:45 am

My understanding is that (in the UK at least) your bank will refund the money to your account immediately but Etihad still has the right to contest the charge-back. If they do then your bank will consider your version of the events, and Etihad's, and come to a decision. They could reverse the refund if Etihad are convincing.

Whether Eithad would bother contesting this with the bank or not is another matter. I doubt that they would as it seems fairly clear that they are just trying it on in the hope that many people won't do charge-backs and will just let Etihad keep their money. Based on comments here that does seem to be the case, astonishing as that may seem.

If Etihad did issue an invoice, and if you did not pay it, then it would be up to them to take you to court for non-payment and I can't see any UK court backing them on that as Etihad clearly have not provided the service you originally paid for. So I doubt they would do that.

Let's all be thankful for charge-back regulations and consumer protection laws.

Moral: always pay by credit card.
Received a letter from CC that the case is now closed. So I presume Etihad has not contested the sec 75 claim, my travelbank still shows the balance in full.
DarrelT and Kevin Weldon like this.

Last edited by samkma; Feb 4, 2022 at 3:46 am Reason: error
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:55 am

Interesting reading from all.
I too have a Travel Bank account and I took advantage of their promotion in June 2020 as hoped to go to OZ in the future. I worked out at the time how much 2xBuisness class tickets would be and with their 50% bonus had the money. Strange that now the prices have gone up exactly the same as their 50% bonus which they put in!!
On a side note re Ethiad, they are currently advertising flights to OZ via 2 stops, first Brussels then Abu which are significantly cheaper. However when you go to purchase them they then say, seats are not available.
Now that would be OK if you missed the boat, that others beat you to these, but they are still advertised on their website as available. Spoke to telephone booking based wherever they are who were the most unhelpful people ever, who blamed the website stating nothing to do with them. Asked to speak to a manager, details taken and would phone me within 2hrs. Its been 26hrs, still waiting. E mailed guest services but from the comments above not holding my breath.
Never again with Ethiad, customer service has to be the worst in the aviation sector and that includes Ryan Air!!
Will now go down the Sec 75 route see what occurs.
samkma and Kevin Weldon like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:42 am

Kevin, Just log into your CC account and you can make the claim online.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:44 am

That's a good point.

I do see some reports online of Section 75 claims being reversed, and presumably the company that the claim is made against always has the possibility of showing that it did provide the goods or services that it was supposed to provide. Otherwise customers could just make totally false claims about anything.
Not true....
The provider has to show proof the goods delivered or services were provided for the payment made or they stand no chance... and vouchers do not have any value.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:18 pm

I noticed prices on some flights I was interested in, Manila to Milan, Business, had returned to normal amounts, so, was able to use my credits for a trip at Xmas.
Hopefully it means prices will return to normal IF the Covid situation continues to stabilise.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by holoski
I noticed prices on some flights I was interested in, Manila to Milan, Business, had returned to normal amounts, so, was able to use my credits for a trip at Xmas.
Hopefully it means prices will return to normal IF the Covid situation continues to stabilise.
Etihad and Emirates still on higher prices for Asian sector and ME.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Long term an airline will put in point to point 787 or 350 services and they'll be gone due to their greed
Old May 6, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: Qantas
Just one data point and some positive news to share.

I managed to get return (multi-city) bookings ex-Europe to Langkawi, with multi day stopovers in KLIA and AUH on the return leg for two persons in J for just over €5,500 departing on 1 Jan. I think this is pretty good value given number of flights and time of year. On that basis, there seems to be some returning to normality for flight prices, and I felt like I got good value from my Travel Bank.

More importantly, I spoke to an agent re the Travel Bank expiry and he let me know that the Travel Bank is being extended until 30 September 2022. That at least means we have some more time to use the funds (although, open to suggestion on how to use a balance of €500).
Talay likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: QR Platinum (OW Emerald), SkyTeam Elite (ITA status match)
Originally Posted by hannadanna
More importantly, I spoke to an agent re the Travel Bank expiry and he let me know that the Travel Bank is being extended until 30 September 2022.
I also got the same information after speaking with an agent today but I am still waiting for reply from travelbank at etihad.ae to confirm it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.