Arriving in AUH and going up to Dubai

Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
welcome to AUH @stargold even if its via DXB for a bit.

if you're keen for a beer let me know.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
Welcome to the UAE: hope you settle in well.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks all! Although I think my comment about the new employment visa gave the wrong impression - it was a new visa because of a change in employer, but I've been in the UAE for about 6 years already But yes, I'm definitely up for drinks, let's arrange something in the next few weeks.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Plat, Marriot Plat
Thanks for the helpful info. I'm assuming that as a tourist traveling between MLE-AUH-IAD, I'll be able to turn my AUH layover into a stopover in Dubai for a few days as long as I get a PCR test before crossing back over to AUH? I plan on booking the Etihad Couch to go each way to and from AUH. Basing this on the following except from their website (https://www.etihad.com/en-us/travel-...-abu-dhabi):If you are travelling to Dubai or another emirate via Abu Dhabi as a tourist, your visa must be issued in Abu Dhabi – tourist visas issued in Dubai or other emirates will only be accepted if you originate from a green country listed above. When you arrive, you will simply need to follow the quarantine rules of that emirate. You will only be permitted to travel to another emirate by Etihad Chauffeur, Etihad Express Coach or Airport Taxi.

If you are travelling from another emirate to reach Abu Dhabi airport, you must present a negative COVID-19 test before you will be permitted to enter Abu Dhabi. The test must be valid within 48 hours – please note, this may differ from the timing of your test required to fly. Taxis are in operation between Dubai and Abu Dhabi airport."

A bit confused on the visa part but it shouldn't affect me as I'll be getting my visa upon arrival in AUH?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Is transit in AUH possible on separate tickets with Covid-19 restrictions in place? 1st ticket would be LAX-IST-AUH on Turkish. 2nd ticket would be AUH-MLE on Etihad.

I know an interline agreement exists between the two so the hope is to have bags checked all the way through to MLE allowing me to stay airside in AUH for transit (and avoid immigration/quarantine). Possible?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:20 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by whitecastle
Thanks for the helpful info. I'm assuming that as a tourist traveling between MLE-AUH-IAD, I'll be able to turn my AUH layover into a stopover in Dubai for a few days as long as I get a PCR test before crossing back over to AUH? I plan on booking the Etihad Couch to go each way to and from AUH. Basing this on the following except from their website (https://www.etihad.com/en-us/travel-...-abu-dhabi):If you are travelling to Dubai or another emirate via Abu Dhabi as a tourist, your visa must be issued in Abu Dhabi tourist visas issued in Dubai or other emirates will only be accepted if you originate from a green country listed above. When you arrive, you will simply need to follow the quarantine rules of that emirate. You will only be permitted to travel to another emirate by Etihad Chauffeur, Etihad Express Coach or Airport Taxi.

If you are travelling from another emirate to reach Abu Dhabi airport, you must present a negative COVID-19 test before you will be permitted to enter Abu Dhabi. The test must be valid within 48 hours please note, this may differ from the timing of your test required to fly. Taxis are in operation between Dubai and Abu Dhabi airport."

A bit confused on the visa part but it shouldn't affect me as I'll be getting my visa upon arrival in AUH?
If you land in AUH from MLE, you won't be able to stopover in Dubai unless its for 10 days; basically, any international arrival to the UAE who wants to enter Abu Dhabi must either have spent 10 days in Dubai, or (if they land directly in Abu Dhabi) must spend 10 days in quarantine (with a tracker watch) in Abu Dhabi.
whitecastle likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by csdf
If you land in AUH from MLE, you won't be able to stopover in Dubai unless its for 10 days; basically, any international arrival to the UAE who wants to enter Abu Dhabi must either have spent 10 days in Dubai, or (if they land directly in Abu Dhabi) must spend 10 days in quarantine (with a tracker watch) in Abu Dhabi.
Thanks, that doesnt quite make sense to me. Do you have a source? Im having trouble finding more info. Ill be taking the Etihad couch from Dubai to AUH if it makes any difference.

The official AUH airport has no mention of a quarantine requirement to cross the border from Dubai to AUH if the sole purpose is to fly out of AUH:https://www.abudhabiairport.ae/en/announcement

Last edited by whitecastle; Apr 22, 2021 at 7:52 am Reason: More info
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Leaving AUH to go to Dubai is definitely uncomplicated - just make sure you mention in the arrival quarantine processing tent that you're going to Dubai.

Dubai to AUH, I'm afraid I have no idea - as far as I know, there has always been some sort of an exemption for entering Abu Dhabi from Dubai in order to fly out of AUH, but I can't say for sure what the current rules are.
whitecastle likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:19 am

Reached to Etihad and they confirmed that quarantine will not be required to re-enter Abu Dhabi as long as I have negative PCR test taken within 48 hours and am heading straight to the AUH airport with a confirmed ticket.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
just be aware that there is apparently a very long wait at the border unless the EY cars can use the fast track
Old Apr 24, 2021, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
just be aware that there is apparently a very long wait at the border unless the EY cars can use the fast track
There's some good news in this regard - there indeed used to be horrendous queues at the border (my personal record was 2.5hrs after a long weekend last year), but towards the end of last year they expanded the number of lanes by about 4 times (was 4, now 16) and it's been smooth sailing ever since.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stargold
There's some good news in this regard - there indeed used to be horrendous queues at the border (my personal record was 2.5hrs after a long weekend last year), but towards the end of last year they expanded the number of lanes by about 4 times (was 4, now 16) and it's been smooth sailing ever since.
Oh I was referencing my colleague from this week as apparently the test results from Dubai are taking a while to get through to the Abu Dhabi system and the queue is generated by them looking up the tests online to confirm them, I on the other hand am sat in London jonesing to get out there but cannot fly for lack of return
Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:55 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Just picking this thread up again, any recent experiences of flying into AUH and travelling straight to Dubai?

I am currently in Dubai and have a friend flying in on thursday. Im thinking of going to AUH to meet her and get taxi back together to dubai. (i know i will need a pcr to cross over to abu dhabi myself, and ive been here for more than 2 weeks already)

Anyone see any issues with this that i am missing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.