Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Tourist Visa now available to enter UAE via AUH

Old Nov 25, 20, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum

At last it has been announced that you can fly direct to AUH on visit visa, some countries have Visa on Arrival others need to apply...
Just need the quarantine to get easier and Abu Dhabi travel will become a reality again.
https://www.etihad.com/en/fly-etihad/visas
Old Nov 26, 20, 2:36 am

Programs: WY Gold, EK Gold, EY Silver
As an AUH resident, travel to Dubai is nearly impossible. Heck, itís easier to travel from Europe to Dubai than it is from Abu Dhabi.
Old Nov 26, 20, 4:20 am

Programs: EY Platinum
It's incredibly simple to travel to Dubai from Abu Dhabi. Just drive down the road.
Old Nov 27, 20, 9:41 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Is it now possible to fly EY to AUH and exit the airport to go straight to Dubai in a taxi?
Old Nov 27, 20, 1:49 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
The airline was an empty tube in the air with no one on board as couldn't travel to AUH unless resident or National. This must be in an effort to just get people on board again particularly as Emirates announced 34 A380s to the UK from this week or so and they will feel that is revenue theyre losing out on
Baresi likes this.
Old Nov 27, 20, 1:52 pm

Can't wait for some of the brits on fake/photshopped Covid tests in Dubai to get caught and made an example of, they sure deserve it.
Was there this week and the place was teeming (1000s of them) with 20 somethings on a pissed up jolly plainly not having left the lockdown in the UK for an essential reason or work - before anyone asks my work is almost entirely out there and was happy to finally go get some done !
Baresi likes this.
Old Nov 28, 20, 10:23 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Plat
This thread is confusing. AUH hasnít been open to tourists, but DXB up the road has?
Old Nov 28, 20, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by modularmayhem View Post
Is it now possible to fly EY to AUH and exit the airport to go straight to Dubai in a taxi?
As a UAE resident this has always been possible.
Old Nov 29, 20, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican View Post
This thread is confusing. AUH hasnít been open to tourists, but DXB up the road has?
Yes one country many rules, DXB desperate for cash, AUH just found a new oil field......
Old Nov 29, 20, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
Yes one country many rules, DXB desperate for cash, AUH just found a new oil field......
Honestly, I sort of live in Dubai but Abu Dhabi feels like another planet. I canít relate to this sort of thing. Not surprising how the airlines are on different trajectories. Hopefully Abu Dhabi survive the post-oil future.
Old Nov 29, 20, 2:59 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by csdf View Post
As a UAE resident this has always been possible.
Sorry i should have pointed out this would be as a tourist with a visa on arrival
Old Nov 29, 20, 8:33 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by EYrevanchist View Post
As an AUH resident, travel to Dubai is nearly impossible. Heck, itís easier to travel from Europe to Dubai than it is from Abu Dhabi.
Many attractions in Dubai used to have up to 25% of their visitors from AD (Global village being one). They are hurting.
Old Nov 30, 20, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican View Post
Honestly, I sort of live in Dubai but Abu Dhabi feels like another planet. I canít relate to this sort of thing. Not surprising how the airlines are on different trajectories. Hopefully Abu Dhabi survive the post-oil future.
I'm curious, in what sense does it feel like another planet?
Old Nov 30, 20, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
I'm curious, in what sense does it feel like another planet?
culturally, Abu Dhabi is more family oriented and traditional. Dubai is more cosmopolitan and dynamic. Thereís subtle things you can do in Dubai but not as easily get away with in Abu Dhabi if youíre of a western orientation.

Economically, because Dubai long ran out of oil, they are deeply focused on sustainability (and yes, I know, they donít always get it right). Abu Dhabi seemingly has unlimited resources (they donít), but this results in quite a bit of inefficiency in Abu Dhabi. So if Dubai didnít want tourists, but realised that if Abu Dhabi was letting them in and that makes those restrictions pointless, theyíd quickly review. Abu Dhabi takes months to. Fine, Abu Dhabi donít need the tourists, maybe, but every penny should count.

more broadly I believe the seven Emirates only share common defense and foreign policy. Beyond that there may be overlap, but each emirate is developing in its own way. Sharjah is an entirely other planet.
Old Nov 30, 20, 2:03 am

Dubai hasn't run out of oil: it currently produces about 70 thousand barrels a day. That's roughly the same as a decent sized oil independent company (e.g. Premier Oil). Regarding tourism, I think Abu Dhabi has decided that "safety" trumps money. They announced many months ago a policy towards zero cases and I haven't seen anything to contradict that since.

Last edited by csdf; Nov 30, 20 at 2:12 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: