Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad overflies Israel for the first time

Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC

I stumbled across this and thought it was pretty cool:

ijkh likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You can imagine the captain before the flight

"You're sure right, like 100% sure, like absolutely hand on heart on your Mother's life certain" Then took a breath in as he entered until he got the radio call welcoming him

Lol is amazing and frankly not something I expected in my lifetime and am over the moon that sense has finally prevailed and long may it last
757FO and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
You can imagine the captain before the flight

"You're sure right, like 100% sure, like absolutely hand on heart on your Mother's life certain" Then took a breath in as he entered until he got the radio call welcoming him

Lol is amazing and frankly not something I expected in my lifetime and am over the moon that sense has finally prevailed and long may it last
I'm pretty sure the flight plan was approved by all relevant parties well before the plane got near Israeli territory. But it definitely sounded like the captain was pretty stoked about overflying Israel.

A question: what was/is the usual flight path for planes flying between Europe and the UAE? Did they fly south over Sinai and then east? Or north via Turkey/Syria/Iraq (that sounds like an undesirable option.) I don't imagine going over Israel would present a huge time savings, at any rate.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'm pretty sure the flight plan was approved by all relevant parties well before the plane got near Israeli territory. But it definitely sounded like the captain was pretty stoked about overflying Israel.

A question: what was/is the usual flight path for planes flying between Europe and the UAE? Did they fly south over Sinai and then east? Or north via Turkey/Syria/Iraq (that sounds like an undesirable option.) I don't imagine going over Israel would present a huge time savings, at any rate.
Yes obv pre cleared, still don't want to be #1 in case the info flow isn't complete lol Israeli army is pretty dashed good

Yes agreed would previously fly up over Qatar Arabian sea etc so can't see how it helps though I'm sure it depedns on where it is coming from, this flight was from Italy so maybe takes a slightly more direct route whereas northern Europe will be less affected. Perhaps MAD and BCN the big winners ?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Wonderful to see and hear. Let us hope and pray it is the start of peace, and better understanding between nations and people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.