Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-AUH-JFK 388 back December 1

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

JFK-AUH-JFK 388 back December 1

Was scheduled to be back January 1 and now comes back a month sooner and selling first class. Interesting move considering OMAAT reporting the 388 may not have a future at Etihad.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:04 am

Wouldn't surprise me though that they will downgrade/change it about a month prior though. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Yes as I've mentioned in another forum, the A380 is scheduled month on month and then when the Covid situation is clear they've been reducing flights and capacity. Sept 30th saw my Nov1 flights changed from the 380 to a 781 and four LHR flights reduced to 2
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:46 am

I have a booking at the end of May 2021 that was changed from A388 to B789 on AUH-JFK. Will the 388 ever fly again for EY? Maybe not....
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I have a booking at the end of May 2021 that was changed from A388 to B789 on AUH-JFK. Will the 388 ever fly again for EY? Maybe not....
Yup. Sure enough, my April booking switched over to the 789. Sorry I started this thread with good news!
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Interesting enough, my EY confirmation still shows a 388.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:33 pm

Yeah got my expert flyer notice today that our April JFK to AUH was downgraded from the A380 to the 789. Will book backup flights in QR and if we don’t get upgauged again will cancel our AA award tickets. Not worth spending the miles IMO for no shower and no apartments
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hurnik
Yeah got my expert flyer notice today that our April JFK to AUH was downgraded from the A380 to the 789. Will book backup flights in QR and if we don’t get upgauged again will cancel our AA award tickets. Not worth spending the miles IMO for no shower and no apartments
My EF alert finally came through. I booked JFK-AUH-SIN in F through aeroplan for 107,500. Will probably keep the flights.

You think Q suites are better than 789 F on EY?

I may do a back up on CX with a wider seat but dated product.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
My EF alert finally came through. I booked JFK-AUH-SIN in F through aeroplan for 107,500. Will probably keep the flights.

You think Q suites are better than 789 F on EY?

I may do a back up on CX with a wider seat but dated product.
pardon any typos here. No power in upstate for the last day and it’ll be another two before national grid restores our power so I’m trying to type on my phone

we originally had our bucket list to the Maldives for April this year on etihad A380 apartments via AA miles. obviously didn’t happen

rebooked for next April in order to avoid a $6000 loss on the prepaid resort as we can’t get CFAR insurance in New York

so IMO I’ve looked at the 789 F and it really doesn’t seem much different than q suites

both are just a seat with doors. I think QR still offers dine on demand. EY doesn’t

slightly wider seat in EY vs QR. but I think that’s about it. For the 40k difference in miles not sure I want to waist that many miles. Plus EY didn’t have first from AUH to MLE. At least WR has their q suites all the way

I’ll probably keep the EY booking but book backup QR tickets at 70k each. If we don’t get the A380 probably will cancel. Too bad. This was a once in a lifetime trip but likely the A380 showers etc aren’t going to survive this. Not just EY but EK as well. I can understand the airlines not flying them as demand is low. Considering a vaccine won’t be available to general public until 2022 at least here in here US I really don’t see the A380 returning on EY until 2023 if ever
Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:54 am
Original Poster

pardon any typos here. No power in upstate for the last day and it’ll be another two before national grid restores our power so I’m trying to type on my phone

we originally had our bucket list to the Maldives for April this year on etihad A380 apartments via AA miles. obviously didn’t happen

rebooked for next April in order to avoid a $6000 loss on the prepaid resort as we can’t get CFAR insurance in New York

so IMO I’ve looked at the 789 F and it really doesn’t seem much different than q suites

both are just a seat with doors. I think QR still offers dine on demand. EY doesn’t

slightly wider seat in EY vs QR. but I think that’s about it. For the 40k difference in miles not sure I want to waist that many miles. Plus EY didn’t have first from AUH to MLE. At least WR has their q suites all the way

I’ll probably keep the EY booking but book backup QR tickets at 70k each. If we don’t get the A380 probably will cancel. Too bad. This was a once in a lifetime trip but likely the A380 showers etc aren’t going to survive this. Not just EY but EK as well. I can understand the airlines not flying them as demand is low. Considering a vaccine won’t be available to general public until 2022 at least here in here US I really don’t see the A380 returning on EY until 2023 if ever
all good points. I flew AUH-MLE on EY in first but I guess they dropped it.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
all good points. I flew AUH-MLE on EY in first but I guess they dropped it.
Pre-COVID they had 2 flights from AUH to MLE
One was on the A330? or A320 or something that had First Class, but it arrived at like 4:30 or 6 p.m. which was too late for sea plane.
The other one arrived at like 6:30 a.m.

Post-COVID they only have the one type of plane I think.

Granted, it was like a 5.5 hour flight or something, so business (recliner, not lie flat) was OK with me.

But without the A380, not really sure if I want to spend the miles.
Very disappointed, but I can understand the economics.

I guess I'll hedge my bets by booking the QR flight and we'll just wait and see what happens. A lot can change in 6 months.

Our return flight is on KE currently on the 747 in F before they started blocking F, so who knows, we may not get that either.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
So my A380 downgraded but I don’t know to what. It looks like there is 8 Firstclass seats. Where do I find this information? Also, should I have expected any type of notice that it changed? I only knew from looking on here.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
So my A380 downgraded but I don’t know to what. It looks like there is 8 Firstclass seats. Where do I find this information? Also, should I have expected any type of notice that it changed? I only knew from looking on here.
Do you have access to expertflyer?
You can use the Seat Map function to enter your flight details.

If it's the JFK-AUH it's the 789 (787-900) since it's 8 F seat, AFAIK.

Otherwise, post your info here (origin/destination city, flight # and date of travel) and I'll look it up for you in my ExpertFlyer account.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
It's either:
77w

EY is only flying a F product with 8 seats with the 380 out of commission.

I did not get notice from the ticketing airline or EY. I found out on here and got an EF alert the next day.

You can make a dummy booking at etihad.com and in the search results it will tell you the equipment you've been put on (for now)
Old Oct 9, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Do you have access to expertflyer?
You can use the Seat Map function to enter your flight details.

If it's the JFK-AUH it's the 789 (787-900) since it's 8 F seat, AFAIK.

Otherwise, post your info here (origin/destination city, flight # and date of travel) and I'll look it up for you in my ExpertFlyer account.
Its EY 101 AUH-JFK on 19 Feb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.