Covid Test Required

Old Jul 29, 20, 10:10 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, HSBC Premier
There will always be those who naively attack a multitude of things (Etihad, Thai government etc.)without knowing the facts or experiencing things first hand. What I do know is that, having flown from AUH on EY to BKK in March, I feel safe here & am certainly not feeling ripped-off, having lived in several countries now. The Thai government has handled the C-Word amazingly well & continues to do so.
IMHO it pays to ignore those who spout speculation, negativity & hyperbole
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 1:09 am

Programs: HH - Diamond, EY Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
The Thai government has handled the C-Word amazingly well & continues to do so.
I am sure the millions who've lost their jobs and millions more to come will disagree with that. I have lots of Thai friends and they are all saying how poor the Junta is handing the economy by locking down the country. For sure, the people with money think everything is ok (the people who give the Junta power). But the vast majority of the country are poor and are suffering more than normal due to their utter incompetence
tommy123 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 1:56 am

Programs: EY Gold
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
Heathrow boss reckons testing there would be around 150 GBP, so 3,000 THB maybe not too bad?
From the dummy booking I did, Pure Health are charging a 147 for their test for EY, that appears to be cost the industry has settled on.

Zac.
NoY and reigndrop like this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 10:45 am

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
This is not the future of air travel, sorry.

Absolutely no one will fly with this test rule unless they have a very strong necessity. For a tourist-focused place like Dubai and Abu Dhabi, they can forget all that money if they insist of this rule more than a few weeks.

I'm willing to bet that this rule is relaxed by end of August when they have to start flying almost empty planes due to the test restriction.
+ 1

cancelled my flight to Maldives.

it seems more like a war than to go on holiday ...
NoY, reigndrop and Kevin Weldon like this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Dav77 View Post
+ 1

cancelled my flight to Maldives.

it seems more like a war than to go on holiday ...
were you able to cancel for a full refund? also due to fly to maldives 9/30 and i want to cancel and re book on TK/QR to avoid this fiasco. i contacted them via twitter and told me that if i wanted to cancel i'd be subject do the regular t&c since my flight was still confirmed.
Old Jul 30, 20, 6:14 pm

How are you supposed to get a test if you are coming from the maldives (at a resort)?
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Originally Posted by bdubs7 View Post
How are you supposed to get a test if you are coming from the maldives (at a resort)?
Friends are going and their resort said they will be given the test on site and the sample will be sent to Male. Not sure about the cost.
Old Jul 30, 20, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bdubs7 View Post
im planning to visit two resorts in october (very TBD at this point since family is coming from europe and its unclear whether europe will reopen their borders for travel w/o quarantine on return) but as other have mentioned resorts take care of the testing. the first resort im staying at (Amilla Fushi) is testing everyone on arrival free of charge and can also organize free of charge departure tests.

the second resort i am staying at (Vakkaru) is planning to charge around 200/250 USD (price is still being determined) per test, so its not cheap, hence why i absolutely want to cancel and rebook thru other means..... if we can save $250pp and avoid flying this ridiculous airline, i think we all come out winning..
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Jul 31, 20, 6:23 am

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
Originally Posted by rvlcr View Post
were you able to cancel for a full refund? also due to fly to maldives 9/30 and i want to cancel and re book on TK/QR to avoid this fiasco. i contacted them via twitter and told me that if i wanted to cancel i'd be subject do the regular t&c since my flight was still confirmed.
it was a reward flights by Millemiglia Alitalia and I can get full refound (miles + taxes) as per Alitalia policy
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:16 am

Programs: EY Gold
For those that have not been following the Etihad Feeback thread.

When applying for a Cv19 test via Pure Health and one is transiting AUH, one checks the visitor visa (VoA) button. If one is a national that does not have National Identity card/number such as a UK citizen, one enters N/A in the form field and then one can proceed with the application to arrange a test.

I hope the above is of assistance.

Zac.
hurnik likes this.

Last edited by ZacZolar; Aug 1, 20 at 9:14 am
Old Aug 1, 20, 2:38 pm

For those saying that this is not going to be the norm. I thought so at first but I bet they make it work somehow. There will be some that will never travel do to this but I think there are those that will start to warm up to the idea and start flying again. Like all technologies, it will get better. I see this group trying to use their facilities to start testing. https://airportxnews.com/xpresspa-se...d-19-airports/

I think to be more practical it needs to be the 1 hour testing but my understanding (could be wrong) is that is prone to more false positives.
Old Aug 2, 20, 2:10 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
I think to be more practical it needs to be the 1 hour testing but my understanding (could be wrong) is that is prone to more false positives.
I think we'll get there - even with a vaccine I think we'll still see covid19 test requirements for some time to come. In the UAE, taking the test is pretty convenient - you make an appointment and pay online, then it's a drive-thru test (I had a 5 minute wait) with a 3 second swab. Results sent by text within 24 hours. Sure, I'd rather not have to take a test in the first place, but for this limited amount of inconvenience I really don't have a problem.

Last edited by csdf; Aug 2, 20 at 3:24 am
Old Aug 2, 20, 12:11 pm

Programs: EY Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, EK Gold
If anyone has suggestions or experience with facility in NYC that can turn the test in this timeframe, I’m all ears! Thanks,
Old Aug 2, 20, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
I think we'll get there - even with a vaccine I think we'll still see covid19 test requirements for some time to come. In the UAE, taking the test is pretty convenient - you make an appointment and pay online, then it's a drive-thru test (I had a 5 minute wait) with a 3 second swab. Results sent by text within 24 hours. Sure, I'd rather not have to take a test in the first place, but for this limited amount of inconvenience I really don't have a problem.
My experience here in Maryland for testing is similar to yours expect I really didnt have to make any appointment. The results took like 4 days which is too long in my opinion. I think if they can get the one hour test down so it can be done as a part of your departure, that would help a lot.
Old Aug 2, 20, 10:53 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
My experience here in Maryland for testing is similar to yours expect I really didnt have to make any appointment. The results took like 4 days which is too long in my opinion. I think if they can get the one hour test down so it can be done as a part of your departure, that would help a lot.
There is a problem with one hour tests done at the airport: some people will test positive. Which means that everyone who took the test would have to be kept in isolation until the results were available, for fear of spreading the infection. And it would have to be proper isolation, because if you tested negative but found out that the guy you were sitting next to whilst waiting for your results was positive, meaning you too now had to go into quarantine, you'd be severely pissed off.

So personally I don't think airport testing will work for departures; it will have to be done prior to arriving at the airport.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: