Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad airways stole my hard-earned money | A bad company

Etihad airways stole my hard-earned money | A bad company

Old Mar 27, 20, 5:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs down Etihad airways stole my hard-earned money | A bad company

They cancelled my ticket themselves. I called them for a refund, and they refused to refund my ticket. They cancelled the flight because the connecting country (UAE) banned flights to that country due to Covid situation. This is an unavoidable situation and I am at no fault. I have not cancelled my ticket myself and I still want to go if you can offer me flight on the same date. In such a situation, you should have made an alternative arrangement for passenger like arranging flights through other connecting country, which is very much possible and easy. But if you cannot provide such alternative, and cancel the flights of passenger, at least give them their full refund. Since the passenger themselves have not cancelled their tickets, they should be given a full refund. This would not give you any loss because you are not able to provide them service, so simply give them their money which they paid to you.

THIS IS A CLEAR VIOLATION OF LAWS, MORALITY AND ETHICS. SUCH A FRAUDULENT PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED.

Many people on the forums have also said that this is a planned practice which is done by this company many times a year to compensate the loss of the company. God knows.

I simply request you please refund me money. Earning money by such ill means is illegal.

I would never recommend this airline to anyone.
Old Mar 27, 20, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Have you called your credit card to reverse the transaction?
blue2002, Yoshi212 and Fizza Khan like this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Reversing the transaction is immoral.

You bought the ticket.

Etihad is not an insurance company.

Please refrain from giving this immoral advise.
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:45 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by akalra1187 View Post

You bought the ticket.

Immoral? If you pay for something that is not provided, you are due a refund. Period.

If the vendor doesn't provide the refund, a charge back is justifiable, and probably the only way to get your money back.
Old Mar 27, 20, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP

You bought the ticket.

They cancelled the flight. The reason doesnít matter. They owe OP alternate transportation or a refund. Full stop.
blue2002, NoY, irishguy28 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Southwest Airlines

You bought the ticket.

What are you smoking?

Etihad cancelled the flight and wonít provide a refund. Etihad is wrong in this situation, plain and simple.

If Etihad wonít refund, the poster should absolutely do a chargeback on their credit/debit card.

By your silly analogy, if you paid me for a service, but I got ill and couldnít provide said service, I could just keep your money.
NoY, skywalkerLAX, MitchR and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 20, 4:22 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Fizza Khan View Post
They cancelled my ticket themselves. I called them for a refund, and they refused to refund my ticket. They cancelled the flight because the connecting country (UAE) banned flights to that country due to Covid situation. This is an unavoidable situation and I am at no fault. I have not cancelled my ticket myself and I still want to go if you can offer me flight on the same date. In such a situation, you should have made an alternative arrangement for passenger like arranging flights through other connecting country, which is very much possible and easy. But if you cannot provide such alternative, and cancel the flights of passenger, at least give them their full refund. Since the passenger themselves have not cancelled their tickets, they should be given a full refund. This would not give you any loss because you are not able to provide them service, so simply give them their money which they paid to you.

THIS IS A CLEAR VIOLATION OF LAWS, MORALITY AND ETHICS. SUCH A FRAUDULENT PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED.

Many people on the forums have also said that this is a planned practice which is done by this company many times a year to compensate the loss of the company. God knows.

I simply request you please refund me money. Earning money by such ill means is illegal.

I would never recommend this airline to anyone.
Welcome to FT Fizza Khan! Like many people on here youíve joined because you had an issue with your airline and presumably want our help in finding the best solution. Like many people in your situation your first post is clearly written in anger. We can all tell you that being angry wonít help you sort this out.

Thereís a lot of detail missing here. What did they actually tell you? Did they just say they canít offer a refund immediately? Because thatís what all airlines are doing right now. Send them an email through the feedback form stating the facts only, e.g. ticket number, flight numbers, flight date, cancellation date and that you would like a full refund. Do NOT include anything about how you feel, or about the airline being immoral or outside the law, as that will not help. Follow it up ONCE THE CORONAVIRUS CRISIS IS OVER. All airlines will be overwhelmed with complaints like yours so you must be patient. Getting angry at phone agents will get you nowhere.

If youíre going down the route of getting the credit card charge refunded then that will also be a very long road. These things donít happen immediately and require investigation, and since that will involve contacting the airline it will take about the same length of time. If it turns out that the airline will offer you a delayed refund or credit voucher then the credit card company will decline your charge reversal.

Either way, take a deep breath and prepare to be patient. Good luck!
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 20, 4:36 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue

You bought the ticket.

Etihad is an airline that takes peopleís money for them to provide a service. If they cannot provide that service, they should be giving the money back. No questions asked.
NoY, jaejaez, ryandc99 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 20, 4:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

@akalra1187 – I know companies are not charity, but this does not necessarily mean that they should adopt ill means of earning money? By saying this, you are justifying every illegal act of earning money. You mean if an airline is going into loss, then it becomes legal for them to sell out tickets and cancel them without refunding them???? This is like if I am selling a car to someone with terms that the purchase will not be reversed. Then, I take money from a customer, and I say that I am not giving you the car but also not the money because the terms and conditions were that this purchase would not be reversed… Does this make sense?

This is very simple. I bought a ticket. This unfortunate covid situation is understandable but if the company stops providing the service to their passengers, they should refund them their tickets. This makes sense when company is providing a service and the customer himself/herself wants to withdraw. But this is not the situation. Airline is not providing the service and not incurring any cost in relation to those tickets, they should simply refund the tickets.

Every business involves risk of loss but this does not means that you should snatch from others to compensate for their loss. No one wants to lose his/her hard-earned money this way.

I still want to go to my destination on my chosen date, if they can provide me the service, for which I have paid. Even in such a situation, they should made alternative arrangement because this situation has also stressed the passengers, but if they cannot, they should simply give full refund, even without bringing terms and conditions into the matter. Because terms and conditions apply when you are providing the service and the customer wants to withdraw. Here the situation is different.

This is also bad for the airline itself. It is losing thousands of its clients this way.

Thanks to all who replied to the post.
Old Mar 28, 20, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by roberino View Post

If youíre going down the route of getting the credit card charge refunded then that will also be a very long road. These things donít happen immediately and require investigation, and since that will involve contacting the airline it will take about the same length of time. If it turns out that the airline will offer you a delayed refund or credit voucher then the credit card company will decline your charge reversal.
!
Credit card companies have specific time limits for responses to disputed charges - Being offered store credit where the terms of card agreement would entite a refund will not lead to the disputed charge being rejected
tafer2uk likes this.
Old Mar 28, 20, 5:08 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Credit card companies have specific time limits for responses to disputed charges - Being offered store credit where the terms of card agreement would entite a refund will not lead to the disputed charge being rejected
The time limits will almost certainly be suspended under the circumstances.

The situation with airlines offering credit instead of a refund (as I understand it) are that some airlines are offering a credit voucher (against current regulations) but that they will build up balance sheets showing their liabilities for refunds and use that either ask for a suspension of the regulations for the COVID19 time period or financial assistance from the governments involved to pay the refunds. The current bail out packages mostly only cover continuation of salaries for employees. The credit card companies would then argue that the credit voucher is lawful and not refund.
Old Mar 28, 20, 5:28 am

I'm in the same situation. Etihad cancelled my flights and refused a refund. I have filed a fraud claim to my credit card company.
Fizza Khan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 20, 5:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

@roberino

They simply refused to refund the ticket, just like if this world has no law to stop them from snatching money from others. They offered me a credit voucher for a future use. But this credit voucher is another trap which will benefit none. I cannot lend them money for years. I want a full refund. Simple is that if you cannot provide a service for which you took money, return it.

If reversing the transaction is immoral, then earning by ill means is moral??
Old Mar 28, 20, 5:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Fizza Khan View Post
If reversing the transaction is immoral, then earning by ill means is moral??
It's not immoral.

If your credit card company will allow it, do the chargeback now. Don't waste anymore time.

Airlines seems to think they are above the law, and that they are the only ones suffering.
NoY, GalaxyChris and Fizza Khan like this.
Old Mar 28, 20, 5:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
It's not immoral.

If your credit card company will allow it, do the chargeback now. Don't waste anymore time.

Airlines seems to think they are above the law, and that they are the only ones suffering.
Yes. If the company is doing wrong, then we have the right to reverse the transaction.
DYKWIA and NoY like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: