Wiki Posts
Search

Are all suites made equal?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Are all suites made equal?

Thinking of visiting AUS in October for the T20 cricket, and as my investments have performed well over the last 12 months was contemplating an ex EU flight - F out and J return.

EY have 2 flights a day to SYD, one with the A380 and one with the 777. Both are stated as being individual suites, but I was wondering if there is a big difference in the hard product?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:31 am
THR

Absolutely there is. You should be able to Google this though.

A380 has the first apartment. The 777 is very dated. I wouldn’t bother flying the 777 first.
Yoshi212 and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THR
Absolutely there is. You should be able to Google this though.

A380 has the first apartment. The 777 is very dated. I wouldn’t bother flying the 777 first.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I have checked on the youtube videos (should have done this before posting) and F on the 777 looks like a QR Qsuite. Strange because you can go all A380 or all 777 from MUC / FRA to SYD at more or less the same price.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by Agent69
Thinking of visiting AUS in October for the T20 cricket, and as my investments have performed well over the last 12 months was contemplating an ex EU flight - F out and J return.

EY have 2 flights a day to SYD, one with the A380 and one with the 777. Both are stated as being individual suites, but I was wondering if there is a big difference in the hard product?
I was very confused that you were trying to fly to AUS (Austin, Texas) from Europe via Sydney.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird676
I was very confused that you were trying to fly to AUS (Austin, Texas) from Europe via Sydney.
If the T20 world cup is being held there I might give it a go
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
To help the OP out when he refers to AUS he is referring to AUStralia. Those of us based in the States tend to jump to AUStin.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:51 am

EY 777 F is significantly better than any EY J, and still worth a reasonable premium over J if the schedule or route works much better than the A380. The only real loss in my view is the shower - the bed mode is still very comfortable, and the traditional seat format allows a much deeper recline for relaxing than the Apartments seat.

As much as I like the Qsuites as a J product, the EY 777 F seat is much more spacious and comfortable, particularly the bed width in the leg area. I wouldn't pay a high premium over the Qsuites (particularly given overall higher quality of QR experience), but it would be unreasonable to say they were the same.
Speedbird676 likes this.

Last edited by stargold; Feb 19, 2020 at 2:58 am
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by MikeFly
To help the OP out when he refers to AUS he is referring to AUStralia. Those of us based in the States tend to jump to AUStin.
I'm not based in The States and have lived in AUStralia.

I was, however, being pedantic
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by stargold
EY 777 F is significantly better than any EY J, and still worth a reasonable premium over J if the schedule or route works much better than the A380. The only real loss in my view is the shower - the bed mode is still very comfortable, and the traditional seat format allows a much deeper recline for relaxing than the Apartments seat.

As much as I like the Qsuites as a J product, the EY 777 F seat is much more spacious and comfortable, particularly the bed width in the leg area. I wouldn't pay a high premium over the Qsuites (particularly given overall higher quality of QR experience), but it would be unreasonable to say they were the same.
Thanks Stargold. I've read Flyertalk threads, and asked questions, but have found it tough to get the type of assessment, with details and rationale, you provided. They are far and few between. There's so much "hype" ongoing about the Eithiad apartment and Q Suites. Not at all saying the kudos to both not well deserved - and I fully admit to having tickets booked because of them - but the enthusiasm makes it hard to actually assess comparative products. (When Apartments & QSuites are always "A", and everything else becomes a "F".)

I have an Award ticket booked SYD-AUH-NBO in the Eithiad apartment. My departure date has changed into SYD. Because of that, I'm faced with the dilemma of keeping my Eithiad reservation "as is" and shorting my time in Australia to retain the "Eithiad apartment experience", or rescheduling on the Eithiad 777 (all that is available with an Award for several weeks around the timeframe). When ferreting through every review I could find, I did finally find in a few where it was mentioned the Eithiad apartment 1) seat recline is limited and 2) the bed width is only 10 inches. Still, I booked it for the overall experience and novelty.

But now I'm second guessing that decision in light of the scheduling issue. While all the bells and whistles of F soft products are nice, what really matters the most to me for the long SYD-AUH flight, a large comfortable seat, both for reclining and sleeping. Perhaps the 777 is the better way to go. Although no where near as "sexy"!
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:52 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Personally, I find 777 F crew vastly superior to the A388. It's still a good product.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
What I would say to look out for is if you are tall. The J product is great BUT if you're over six foot three then you'll need to bend your legs. Some seats you enter at the shoulder leaving no room to bend the legs and some you enter at the hip point and so can easily. generally the rearward facing seats on the 380 and Dreamliner offer better options for very tall passengers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.