Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

How to get a pork hedgehog served on an Etihad First Class flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get a pork hedgehog served on an Etihad First Class flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blue2002
While Etihad is not a dry airline, consuming self-provisioned alcohol on board will get you in trouble on most airlines, including Etihad.
Thanks for the hint. Didn't spend any thoughts that this could be prohibited.

Update to the plan: bring the Kölsch with me and ask the crew politely to serve me my own beer (seems to be a common work-around). If they refuse to do so, than I will empty it in the toilet and pour some champagne in it instead.

Wow, didn't think upfront that it could get that difficult and one needs so many backup plans to follow all regulations.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I suggest you rebook your flight and fly the Etihad Residence instead of First Class.

When flying the Etihad Residence, you can request that they load Kölsch beer (you need to give them time to procure it) and also make you a steak tartare (unfortunately, all food requested has to be Halal, so no pork) in the shape of a hedgehog. Note: As with any special requests, it is not always guaranteed. However, when flying the Etihad Residence, part of the experience is the ability to make customized catering requests.

They will even go to the lengths of editing the menu and providing you with a custom printed one to show your special items.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Many thousands of Euros just to have no worries with the Kölsch (well, plus definitely a once in a lifetime flight experience) ... definitely a "no" for me. Too chintzy. I go for the 5 Euro option buying a six-pack of Kölsch.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How do you get the Kölsch past security?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by LondonElite
How do you get the Kölsch past security?
Depending on the OP's point of origin, it may be available at the airside duty free.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Depending on the OP's point of origin, it may be available at the airside duty free.
Unless it’s FRA, virtually zero chance. And I’m not sure it will be available there.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Beer at duty free stores?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
Beer at duty free stores?
Yes, there is beer in the German DF stores, but Kölsch is not on the menu, so to speak, generally. Just checked on the Heinemann website. No Kölsch at all.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:10 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I hope you are not flying to Oz as bringing raw meat to Australia would be an offence for both the airline (if they are aware raw food is on board and do not destroy it) and you (minimum penalty of AUD 220 or so)..
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
I hope you are not flying to Oz as bringing raw meat to Australia would be an offence for both the airline (if they are aware raw food is on board and do not destroy it) and you (minimum penalty of AUD 220 or so)..
Not if he eats it all before the flight lands, my guess.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: QF WP
this is all highly speculative but the issue isn’t having food products, it’s failing to declare

AQIS agents have phenomenal allowances for discretion as well and generally don’t fine for a first offence, although with African swine fever around I suppose all bets are off on pork importation

NZ on the other hand there is no discretion, it’s an automatic fine if not declared
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:15 pm

Kölsch isn’t beer though. It’s what you piss out after drinking Alt
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Kölsch isn’t beer though. It’s what you piss out after drinking Alt
That reminds me of the old joke:

What's the best thing about Düsseldorf? The last train to Köln.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the best thing about Bonn? The night train to Munich.

BTW, how about Pils?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Getting caught eating a raw pork hedgehog whilst wearing a "Where's Waldo?" costume will make for must-see passenger video footage during the inevitable forced deplaning at 30000 feet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.