FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/)
-   -   Wearing fancy dress/ carnival costume in First Class & Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/2000945-wearing-fancy-dress-carnival-costume-first-class-lounge.html)

HeinzSchmolke Dec 23, 2019 3:41 am

Wearing fancy dress/ carnival costume in First Class & Lounge

Hi folks,

I wonder if there are any dress code policies which do not allow wearing a fancy dress up in the air in First and on ground in Lounge with Etihad.

My wife and I are german carnival addicts, but unfortunately we are up in the air when the carnival hits Cologne at Weiberfastnacht (Feb 20, 11.11am), so we'd like to have at least some carnvial feeling on the plane. (Still have to figure out how to get Kölsch beer into the plane as we have to switch terminals in London before entering our Etihad flights.)

For sure there are some codes when travelling with the "Emirataen" airlines, which of course we will follow:

Not permitted: Dirty or torn clothing, beach or jogging clothes, flip flops, non-collared t-shirts, shorts, sleeveless tops. Clothing should not be transparent and shoulders should be covered. Low neckline and short skirts with a hem above the knee are not permitted.
. https://stafftraveler.com/notes/EY

Our dress will not be too fancy. We will be Mr "Where is Waldo?" and Mrs "Where is Waldo?". Picture

What do you think? Will we get into any trouble during Checkin, on the plane (if we consider switching cloathes not before up in the air), or when entering the First Class lounge in AUH?

Any feedback, comments, ideas are highly appreciated.

Thanks
Heinz

nancypants Dec 23, 2019 3:49 am

Are you on staff travel (aka non-revenue travel, “free flights” etc)? If not, the linked dress code is not relevant to your situation

HeinzSchmolke Dec 23, 2019 3:51 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31868420)
Are you on staff travel (aka non-revenue travel, “free flights” etc)? If not, the linked dress code is not relevant to your situation

Ah thanks, did not realize that it is for staff travels.
No, it's an award ticket.

LondonElite Dec 23, 2019 3:55 am

Whilst you may not feel self-conscious, everyone else on the flight (especially from LHR where no one at all will have a clue what is going on) will inwardly cringe. Honestly, maybe this year you should just let it go. And please don’t think cutting ties at LHR will go down well!

HeinzSchmolke Dec 23, 2019 6:16 am

Missing self-consciousness is not an issue, but I still do not want to offend anyone or "break" any rules. And for sure, I will not cut any ties on my itinery :-)

Fly_IAD Dec 23, 2019 8:47 am

Originally Posted by HeinzSchmolke (Post 31868696)
Missing self-consciousness is not an issue, but I still do not want to offend anyone or "break" any rules. And for sure, I will not cut any ties on my itinery :-)

For many, especially those from Islamic cultures like the UAE whose airline you are flying, it will likely reinforce the notion that you are very strange. I would think it is totally bizarre and thats speaking as a really liberal person. Whats next, asking if walking around Sheikh Zayed Mosque dressed as a crusader would go down well? Have some class.

OUTraveling Dec 23, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD (Post 31869208)
For many, especially those from Islamic cultures like the UAE whose airline you are flying, it will likely reinforce the notion that you are very strange. I would think it is totally bizarre and thats speaking as a really liberal person. Whats next, asking if walking around Sheikh Zayed Mosque dressed as a crusader would go down well? Have some class.

If Middle Eastern airlines can put up with Casey and gay couples they can put up with some people in carnival costumes.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9e9817e122.jpg
Won't someone PLEASE think of the Muslims!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8173e81de7.jpg
Something tells me they should be fine.

NoY Dec 23, 2019 5:40 pm

There have been some weird posts on this board over the years. This is very weird :eek:. Nope, just checked, its not April 1st ;)

ft101 Dec 23, 2019 11:02 pm

Forget about it, and the crazy food idea from your other thread. If you want these things either change your flight so you can do them where it's acceptable, or do them at another time in private somewhere.

HeinzSchmolke Dec 24, 2019 5:38 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 31871555)
Forget about it, and the crazy food idea from your other thread. If you want these things either change your flight so you can do them where it's acceptable, or do them at another time in private somewhere.

Thanks for your opinion. Wearing the partner carnival costume (which is not too extravagant and could actually be a regular dress) on the flight will be executed. From my point of view, even it is an unusual dress, it is still a fully acceptable dress and not offending any other passengers far in excess.

ft101 Dec 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by HeinzSchmolke (Post 31872078)
Thanks for your opinion. Wearing the partner carnival costume (which is not too extravagant and could actually be a regular dress) on the flight will be executed. From my point of view, even it is an unusual dress, it is still a fully acceptable dress and not offending any other passengers far in excess.

Your point of view is far outweighed by the points of view of others. Please show some decorum and do as previously suggested.

ID90_J Dec 25, 2019 3:00 am

Do you have an example of the costume?

i would love to see it.

HeinzSchmolke Dec 25, 2019 5:04 am

Originally Posted by HeinzSchmolke (Post 31868407)
Our dress will not be too fancy. We will be Mr "Where is Waldo?" and Mrs "Where is Waldo?". Picture

Originally Posted by ID90_J (Post 31874552)
Do you have an example of the costume?

i would love to see it.

Sure, see the link above.

JumboJet Dec 25, 2019 6:42 am

This sounds like its going to be a h*ll of a trip:D

HeinzSchmolke Mar 29, 2020 6:02 am

Sorry folks ... my wife finally decided one day before we started that she does not want to wear a carnival dress. And so I did not either.