Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Free WiFi for Guest Platinum, 75% off for Guest Gold?

Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Free WiFi for Guest Platinum and 75% off for Guest Golds were flagged as some of the benefits in the EY Guest refresh, at https://www.etihadguest.com/en/our-p...-benefits.html

However, it appears to be not quite as simple as, for example, a Platinum continually refreshing his or her 300MB/US$30 package, or a Gold paying only 25% of US$30 for a series of 300MB packages.

I raised the criteria with an EY press spokesman, asking if this might be limited to just one package (eg 1 x 300MB package) before paying full bottle.

His reply: "The discounts are available for all 3 packages in 1 session which is 1 x 50MB, 1 x 150MB & 1 x 300MB. After the discount has been applied to all 3 packages in one flight, standard charges will apply."

My reply: "Thanks, so as a Platinum I could get a freebie for 50MB, 150MB and 300MB (one of each) and then it’d be time to pull out the credit card..?"

His reply: "Your question on wifi- your understanding is correct. One free on each of the options, then you can pull out the credit card or use miles to redeem for additional data."

Now I'm sorta taking that at face-value, but this indicates a Platinum could stack each package and get a total of 500MB free. Would seem rather curious if that were the case so I'd suggest starting the freebie sessions at 300MB!

A bit more on this at https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...requent-flyers

Also, the return of chauffeur drive for miles-based redemption bookings is limited to a one-way trip: from the press release just issued:

Guests with Gold and above tier status will be offered a complimentary one-way chauffeur service to or from Abu Dhabi International Airport, when travelling in Business and First on miles redemption tickets.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: EY Platinum
The one way chauffeur thing is fine. Just book two single miles redemptions instead of a return, then you get a chauffeur both times in Abu Dhabi.
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: EY Gold
Free/discounted 500 MB may not be much but the improvements to the programme show that at least the race to the bottom in Etihad seems to be over and with the Midfield Terminal opening soon Etihad can once again become a real alternative to Emirates and Qatar Airways.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by danial21
Free/discounted 500 MB may not be much but the improvements to the programme show that at least the race to the bottom in Etihad seems to be over and with the Midfield Terminal opening soon Etihad can once again become a real alternative to Emirates and Qatar Airways.
that’s what I’ve been told as well. Cuts are over and they’re now selectively adding to regain customers.

per management, base case for opening of the midfield terminal is H2 2020
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:40 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
...do remember chauffeur cars were taken away from premium redemption bookings a few years ago, all EY are doing here is re-introducing that benefit & effectively only 50% of the previous benefit...unless using a hack (two one-ways)@:-) The wi-fi benefit is new I believe so some kudos there..
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NoY
...do remember chauffeur cars were taken away from premium redemption bookings a few years ago, all EY are doing here is re-introducing that benefit & effectively only 50% of the previous benefit...unless using a hack (two one-ways)@:-) The wi-fi benefit is new I believe so some kudos there..
given EK has taken this away, I’ll take this gesture from EY. More than justifies my decision to move back to EY after they scrapped the award card to DXB which would’ve been a huge cost for me coming from AD
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
But when does the Wifi kick in? Has it happened already?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Etihad Gold
It hasn't kicked in yet, at least not 5 days ago when I took the flight.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:10 am

WHOOOP ! Happy to say that WiFi was FINALLY free on my LHR-AUH A380 flight this past Sunday !!! I could choose any packaga at $0 cost and then when it ran out take one of the others for the same extortionate fee of NOTHING !
Baresi and jaejaez like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
WHOOOP ! Happy to say that WiFi was FINALLY free on my LHR-AUH A380 flight this past Sunday !!! I could choose any packaga at $0 cost and then when it ran out take one of the others for the same extortionate fee of NOTHING !
Sorry for the shouting but I've waited forever for this Platinum perk that should have been there from day 1.0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.