Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Change to miles expiry policy (Nov ‘19)

Old Nov 14, 19, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)

Etihad miles won’t have a hard expiry date “soon” - if you have a transaction to keep them alive. Nice enhancement (subject to the details...)

from (personalised) web link in email

Miles that never expire

Soon we will be extending the validity of your miles so that you have even longer to spend them. If you’re a Platinum member, your miles will never expire, or you’ll only have to make one eligible transaction every 18 months. So now the hardest decision you’ll have to make is how to spend them…

Coming Soon
Old Nov 14, 19, 10:43 am

That email promises a lot for platinums. Free WiFi. Car service on first and business miles bookings. Free seat selection in economy.

Unfortunately I think I'll be dropping out down from Plat in February.
Old Nov 14, 19, 11:10 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
That email promises a lot for platinums. Free WiFi. Car service on first and business miles bookings. Free seat selection in economy.

Unfortunately I think I'll be dropping out down from Plat in February.
Same policy for golds as well. Only difference is 75% off on-board WiFi
Old Nov 14, 19, 10:54 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Dia, HSBC Premier
.....too little...too late @:-)
EYrevanchist likes this.
Old Nov 15, 19, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K
Wow - This maybe the carrot to get me onboard with Etihad. I was concerned about the miles expiry rule. I am considering moving over to Etihad and fly across the Pacific with Virgin Australia monthly in economy. I believe it is now better than flying Qantas and parking the miles with Alaska (56% earn rate as compared to 100% earn rate for top tiers.)
Old Nov 16, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: Alaska
Good change for me. I have a small amount of miles and wonder what to do with them.

now I can decide later what to do with them.
Old Nov 16, 19, 1:22 am

Programs: EY Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, EK Gold
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
.....too little...too late @:-)
EY has buckets of problems still but for those that are AUH based, theyre making it easier for us to migrate back to them from EK
EYrevanchist likes this.
Old Nov 16, 19, 4:21 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Dia, HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by reigndrop View Post
EY has buckets of problems still but for those that are AUH based, theyre making it easier for us to migrate back to them from EK
Well, I am AUH based (much of the year) & I dumped EY (was a Platinum) (& QR Platinum) a few years back & have never been happier with CX...including my free limo to Dubai & back from AUH & a very reliable onboard product & superb lounges in HKG ^
Old Nov 21, 19, 10:09 pm

I used to be a big Etihad fan years back, but their continuous devaluation of Platinum status made me ditch them completely a year ago. The "pay for economy seat reservation" was too much for me.

EK is treating me much better, with a better onboard product, a much better lounge product, and - yes - expiring miles.

EY - never again, you cheapskate Abu Dhabians.
Old Nov 27, 19, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by tommy123 View Post
Same policy for golds as well. Only difference is 75% off on-board WiFi

tommy, did you get an email about this? I’m gold and I cannot see it.....
Old Nov 28, 19, 8:37 pm

Yes I did , it arrived in my junk section . I think all the terms and conditions are on the Etihad status and benefits page . I took advantage of the 50% economy space seat a few weeks ago , paying £39 at LHR at check -in , knowing full well before hand the whole row was empty , well worth the extra
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 19, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by tommy123 View Post
Yes I did , it arrived in my junk section . I think all the terms and conditions are on the Etihad status and benefits page . I took advantage of the 50% economy space seat a few weeks ago , paying £39 at LHR at check -in , knowing full well before hand the whole row was empty , well worth the extra
Cheers tommy, that is definitely worth it.
Old Jan 24, 20, 6:50 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Has the new expiration policy been implemented?

Have they finally implemented the 'no expiry as long as there is at least one transaction every 18 months' policy?

Looking at their website they have not...

Any update from anyone?

Link: https://www.etihadguest.com/en/our-p...?_linkNav=FAQs

3. How long are the Etihad Guest Miles valid for?

The validity of Etihad Guest Miles depends on the tier level of each member. Below mentioned are the Etihad Guest Miles validity periods.

• Etihad Guest Bronze - 2 years from date of activity
  • Etihad Guest Silver - 2 ½ years from date of activity
  • Etihad Guest Gold - 3 years from date of activity
  • Etihad Guest Platinum - 3 years from date of activity

Etihad Guest Miles will continue to expire on the last date of the month in which they were earned. Members can check the validity of the Guest miles for the next three months by two ways:
  • Log in to their Etihad Guest accounts online and check the transaction details.
  • Subscribe for monthly e-statements.
Old Feb 29, 20, 2:39 am

I am Gold and have 35,000 miles expiring today. Anyone know how I can keep them alive?

For example, if I book a flexible flight with cash/miles, and then cancel it later, will the miles be saved/lost? Thanks.
Old Feb 29, 20, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by fedor View Post
I am Gold and have 35,000 miles expiring today. Anyone know how I can keep them alive?

For example, if I book a flexible flight with cash/miles, and then cancel it later, will the miles be saved/lost? Thanks.
Thats an awful lot of miles expiring in one day , are you sure

Search this Thread
Search Engine: