Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Flying F with an overnight stop in AUH. Sleep in F lounge or at airport hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent

Hello,

I have a trip coming up in a few weeks where we are arriving to AUH on a F flight in the evening, and flying out the next morning in business class (on a 2-class 787). (IAD-AUH-MLE).

There was an option for a redeye flight AUH-MLE, but I think that would just guarantee severe jetlag after such a long first flight.

Looking at other posts, it looks like you can sleep in the AUH F lounge, and they will provide a pillow and blanket, but it's basically in a recliner "la-z-boy" style seat in a shared area. It also looks like there are a few hotels in the AUH airport.

Can anyone share advice on if it's worth it to pay for a hotel? If so, which hotel will be the most convenient for my connection? Can I avoid having to "enter" the country? (just because I want to avoid any annoying lines on possibly limited sleep -- I will be stopping over to visit Abu Dhabi and Dubai on my return).

Assume I don't have to worry about claiming my bags and re-checking them in this sort of a scenario?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
The Aerotel?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:35 am

This was asked and advice given many times. It is up to you, but to most it makes more sense to spring for the Premier Inn which is good and usually cheap.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I am kind of night stopover too. Arriving to DXB on KQ at 8:30pm and leaving the other day on EY19 to LHR around 8:00am. What would be the best transport? Arranging one in advance look a bit expensive to me (120 usd)..shall I just get a cab at DXB and head to AUH? I would stay in Premier Inn but If I was to arrive to AUH at 2am, I would probably just go to F lounge...
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by some dude
Hello,

I have a trip coming up in a few weeks where we are arriving to AUH on a F flight in the evening, and flying out the next morning in business class (on a 2-class 787). (IAD-AUH-MLE).

There was an option for a redeye flight AUH-MLE, but I think that would just guarantee severe jetlag after such a long first flight.

Looking at other posts, it looks like you can sleep in the AUH F lounge, and they will provide a pillow and blanket, but it's basically in a recliner "la-z-boy" style seat in a shared area. It also looks like there are a few hotels in the AUH airport.

Can anyone share advice on if it's worth it to pay for a hotel? If so, which hotel will be the most convenient for my connection? Can I avoid having to "enter" the country? (just because I want to avoid any annoying lines on possibly limited sleep -- I will be stopping over to visit Abu Dhabi and Dubai on my return).

Assume I don't have to worry about claiming my bags and re-checking them in this sort of a scenario?

Thanks in advance!
would be interested to hear your experience....am having a similar 9hr stopover and am deciding btw getting a room at aerotel, napping at the first lounge and paying for access for the residence lounge to sleep there.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter
I am kind of night stopover too. Arriving to DXB on KQ at 8:30pm and leaving the other day on EY19 to LHR around 8:00am. What would be the best transport? Arranging one in advance look a bit expensive to me (120 usd)..shall I just get a cab at DXB and head to AUH? I would stay in Premier Inn but If I was to arrive to AUH at 2am, I would probably just go to F lounge...
There's a bus and Etihad has a free shuttle service. You would arrive before midnight is my best guess.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:26 am

The Aerotel in terminal 1 with private baths is the easiest and most civil way to go, as you do not need to leave the airport--nor do you need to try to sleep in an airport lounge with people too cheap to travel correctly to begin with.
NoY and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
would be interested to hear your experience....am having a similar 9hr stopover and am deciding btw getting a room at aerotel, napping at the first lounge and paying for access for the residence lounge to sleep there.
Why oh why pay to access the residence lounge , provided you have a visa on arrival ( as most do ) you'd be through immigration in 5 min and a 10 min taxi ride to a 5* hotel for the same price ....I really can't understand some people's logic here
NoY and afmiami like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I agree with Tommy123 also I thought that Etihad offered some reasonable deals for short (transit) stays especially if the transit was more than 8 hours with no suitable alternative although I speak as an ex user so may be out of date

To be honest depending on the time I would not even be concerned about 5* if the objective was to get a bit of sleep as you will not use most of the facilities - I was more than impressed recently with the room at the premier Inn at Heathrow T4 that I used before early morning departure recently and around Ł30 having booked early and then went to the(MAS) lounge for a great breakfast before the flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.