Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad 1st AUH-JFK is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Etihad 1st AUH-JFK is it worth it?

Well basically it’s going to cost me 136k points for a one way and I’m wonder if it’s worth it. I’ve been first class Emirates before. Is there better use for these points or is the experience for auh longue and first class non stop 14h flight worth the points value? Just looking for some opinions. 136k points is a lot!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Would you pay 136K points for the Emirates F ticket/DXB lounge?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
Would you pay 136K points for the Emirates F ticket/DXB lounge?
No because I’ve already done it from Hong Kong and fuel charges would eat me up from dxb besides etihad apparently has an amazing 1st lounge. Honestly I’d be doing it more for the experience more than anything.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Insaniak
No because I’ve already done it from Hong Kong and fuel charges would eat me up from dxb besides etihad apparently has an amazing 1st lounge. Honestly I’d be doing it more for the experience more than anything.
Sorry - to be clear, imagine if you hadn't taken Emirates first class before. Do you think it would be worth spending 136k points? The experience isn't exactly the same - you're trading better food and a better seat/bed for a worse shower and at least in my opinion, a worse lounge - but I think the value is about the same altogether.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Sorry - to be clear, imagine if you hadn't taken Emirates first class before. Do you think it would be worth spending 136k points? The experience isn't exactly the same - you're trading better food and a better seat/bed for a worse shower and at least in my opinion, a worse lounge - but I think the value is about the same altogether.
The food bed with etihad your saying is better than Emirates? Because I didn’t care for Emirates seating. The food and the experience I had with Emirates was amazing albeit a 7 hour flight. The reason I was really considering etihad was due to the apartments as well as the lounge. I know for 100k points I can get round trip bus class fairs for other airlines, but at this point I have 40k points with etihad I need to spend rest are with Amex.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Insaniak
The food bed with etihad your saying is better than Emirates? Because I didn’t care for Emirates seating. The food and the experience I had with Emirates was amazing albeit a 7 hour flight. The reason I was really considering etihad was due to the apartments as well as the lounge. I know for 100k points I can get round trip bus class fairs for other airlines, but at this point I have 40k points with etihad I need to spend rest are with Amex.
I don't think the Etihad lounge is anything remarkable, especially after the cutbacks in recent years. The seat is certainly special. I am saying the food and bed are better with Etihad than they are with Emirates, yes.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

I don't think the Etihad lounge is anything remarkable, especially after the cutbacks in recent years. The seat is certainly special. I am saying the food and bed are better with Etihad than they are with Emirates, yes.
hmm it’s just a tough choice to spend it on 1st or use for other options
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I sort of hope to do it one day. Yes it's a crazy amount of points (round trip business class on a lot of airlines), but if you think of a point as a penny each (like if it was a cash back card) then it's "$1300" one way. In that frame of reference it sounds okay to me.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
The apartments are highly overrated, the bed not that comfortable - the seat too.

Catering is not all that great, though I believe there is caviar now. The showers aren't as good as EK's, neither is the booze selection.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Depends how many pts you have. I burned 115k AA miles on this. The lounge is meh but the seat is phenomenal. The only product out there that is in the same league is the new SQ A380 suite. I needed to get home from AUH anyway and this was for sure the best way. It dominates Emirates.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
I sort of hope to do it one day. Yes it's a crazy amount of points (round trip business class on a lot of airlines), but if you think of a point as a penny each (like if it was a cash back card) then it's "$1300" one way. In that frame of reference it sounds okay to me.
That’s kinda how I was looking at it that’s a pretty cheap first class flight.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your opinions! I travel at least once a year to uae and I do really want to go to New Zealand for 150k points or so what are some of the best options for getting to New Zealand? those flights for economy can be pretty expensive because of the distance.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:56 am

I've done it in J many, and F a few times, and for me it is not worth it. The seat is very good but (ground) service and food are only marginally better. I think if you have points to spare one time in F for the novelty value is worth considering.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:25 pm

I recently booked f on ey for next may, we are flying jnb/auh bus. and auh/iad f. I booked with aa miles for a very reasonable amount of miles and almost no fees. We are flying ba in f iad/lhr.jnb. I have flown this segment before it is fine. Despite all the negative reviews of ey f and j, I am really looking forward to these flights. As a long time ff mile flyer on some very good international airlines in f and j I always feel fortunate to have the opportunity to fly in premium cabins for almost free. I think we are talking first world problems here. YMMV
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:52 am

I've never flown a true F product and I used 115K AA miles to book Etihad F Apartments. Totally worth it to experience it once. Honestly I'd probably only book Singapore's new F product if I were to fly F again. J on most carriers is totally fine and F isn't necessary unless you're swimming in points. In your shoes having flown Emirates F, I'd probably just book Etihad J and save the points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.