Seat Selection

Old Aug 3, 19, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Seat Selection

Hi All,

I booked a economy ticket on Etihad Airways using AA miles, I am not able to select a seat online they are asking me to call. I want to know if Etihad charges a fee for seat selection (I don't have any status) if Etihad charges a fee how much is the fee ?

Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:16 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Yes they do charge depending on the route . If you have an Etihad reference number you can select your seat 24 hours before departure for free , if not , then it ranges from $20- $200 , good luck , you need it
Old Aug 5, 19, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommy123 View Post
Yes they do charge depending on the route . If you have an Etihad reference number you can select your seat 24 hours before departure for free , if not , then it ranges from $20- $200 , good luck , you need it
Thank You. I have two legs on Etihad FCO - AUH and AUH - MAA all on one itinerary will they change one price for seat selection or two separate charge for each leg of the flight ?
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:02 pm

Separate charges unfortunately
Old Aug 28, 19, 2:43 pm

gold members

there is no charge for etihad gold/platinum now in economy and they give 75% discount on space seats. just got an email although they still charge me if I try to reserve a seat online.
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ianis View Post
there is no charge for etihad gold/platinum now in economy and they give 75% discount on space seats. just got an email although they still charge me if I try to reserve a seat online.
Got a similar email through yesterday for Platinum - free upgrade to a space seat. It seems to suggest you can perform the upgrade after making the booking.....or something(?). I won't have an opportunity to try it until the new year as all my remaining flights for 2019 have been booked elsewhere.

However, this is a most welcome step.
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:03 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
I'm so jaded with Etihad that I saw that email and immediately deleted it, assuming it was yet another trash Rewards Shop email. So we can now select seats for free, but only after we have made the booking. Which is fine for single travellers, but when travelling as a family it still creates a risk that you buy tickets and then discover that you can't find seats together.
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
I'm so jaded with Etihad that I saw that email and immediately deleted it, assuming it was yet another trash Rewards Shop email. So we can now select seats for free, but only after we have made the booking. Which is fine for single travellers, but when travelling as a family it still creates a risk that you buy tickets and then discover that you can't find seats together.

Mine says 50% discount for others on my booking. I guess we need to test drive this.
Old Aug 29, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: HH - Diamond, EY Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
Got a similar email through yesterday for Platinum - free upgrade to a space seat. It seems to suggest you can perform the upgrade after making the booking.....or something(?). I won't have an opportunity to try it until the new year as all my remaining flights for 2019 have been booked elsewhere.

I got this also yesterday. I am silver. So, definitely a step in the right direction.
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:17 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Originally Posted by Ianis View Post
Does this need to be done on the phone or via the website/app?

Originally Posted by Dubh View Post

Not received the email (yet) maybe you have to have an economy booking with no seat allocation to get the email?? But still a welcome benefit for elite members, slowly improving the EY Guest experience...
Old Aug 29, 19, 3:54 am

Programs: Etihad Guest, Emirates Skywards, Discovery Hotels
I've noticed positive changes from etihad guest in recent weeks, wonder if these steps correspond with new management.
Old Aug 29, 19, 4:30 am

Programs: Etihad, Air France
I noticed on my previous booking that as a EY Gold, if I do not touch my seats on my booking,
they put me on an Economy Space seat on MEL-CDG return and normal Economy seats on a 787 but Economy Space on a A380.
However, that's a great news !!!
Old Aug 29, 19, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
. . . . . but when travelling as a family it still creates a risk that you buy tickets and then discover that you can't find seats together.
If it's important you can use Expert Flyer's Seat Alert app and it'll show you availability.
Old Sep 8, 19, 4:20 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Looks like its now official on the EY Guest website regarding free Economy and Economy Space seats for Gold and Platinums, as usual a few hoops to jump through - typical EY - still have to wait until T-30 hours to allocate space seats!

Old Sep 8, 19, 10:54 pm

Programs: WY Gold, EK Gold, EY Silver
Anyone actually fly EY Y on this board?

Search this Thread