Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Attention Economy Class Pax!!!!

https://www.etihad.com/en-us/about-u...my-experience/
Terrible news indeed.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by EYrevanchist
I dunno, I don't fly Y that often but this could be good. add an extra row or 2 but offer more legroom and now faster wifi and pitch.. seems a winner
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by kelix
I dunno, I don't fly Y that often but this could be good. add an extra row or 2 but offer more legroom and now faster wifi and pitch.. seems a winner
I read the information in the link and don't see what is terrible. For me the terrible thing about EY economy class is the prices they charge these days. I just booked my flights for Christmas MAN-BKK. Etihad were ridiculously expensive compared to other carriers. Ł1170 return compared to LH who were charging Ł560 for the same dates.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
I experienced the new economy food last week. Contrary to the advertising puff it was smaller and worse quality than the old offering. No more metal cutlery. It appears to be designed to push people into buying the upgraded meal, which still appeared to.be substantial.

The news on the in-flight entertainment follows an alarming survey that a number of us got about 12 months ago. Seems that we can predict Etihad's strategy based on these surveys. Which is worrying.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
As per the news release, not using metal cutlery saves weight and fuel. which can only be a good thing (environment consciousness being one reason)
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
What is terrible in the news? I can't find any!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
Obviously, it's a press release, they're not designed to sound terrible. The problem is that the reality doesn't match the press release.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
As per the news release, not using metal cutlery saves weight and fuel. which can only be a good thing (environment consciousness being one reason)
This is funny. Last week EY announced that they plan to cut the use of plastic by 80%, then this week they swap metal cutlery for plastic. haha
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by csdf
I experienced the new economy food last week. Contrary to the advertising puff it was smaller and worse quality than the old offering. No more metal cutlery. It appears to be designed to push people into buying the upgraded meal, which still appeared to.be substantial.

The news on the in-flight entertainment follows an alarming survey that a number of us got about 12 months ago. Seems that we can predict Etihad's strategy based on these surveys. Which is worrying.
This is from the same airline that was spouting its environmental caring side by telling us some made up news that they flew a plane with almost no single use plastics used.

What do you think that the cutlery will be made of? Thin, weak "compostable plastic" which can only be recycled in very few facilities. Based on the recycling reputation of the country, I doubt there will be a facility to recycle items like that.

Sadly, yet another way that EY is hacking away at a product to the point where nobody wants to pay these sky high prices to fly them. It's a self fulfilling prophecy and they will wonder why they are seeing lower and lower returns. Be prepared to see more people coming onboard with McDonalds from the terminal.
eddibabyyeah likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hilarious that Tony Douglas thinks that EY is a challenger brand too! What a load of old tosh!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by flying_fozzy
. Be prepared to see more people coming onboard with McDonalds from the terminal.
Yep, its the way forward as far as i'm concerned. These days airport terminals are full of fast food outlets. I much prefer to get something I actually want to eat and get to eat it when I decide and not have to wait more than an hour for it to be cleared away. On night flights with EY it can be 3-4 hours before people have eaten and they cleared away the trays. Such a wasted of time if you want to sleep.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by lall
What is terrible in the news? I can't find any!
seatback inflight entertainment system is gone on some planes.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
This is funny. Last week EY announced that they plan to cut the use of plastic by 80%, then this week they swap metal cutlery for plastic. haha
Where do they say they're introducing plastic cutlery?

A new curved triangular base plate design reflects the heritage of Abu Dhabi and is made using recycled materials. New cutlery is 85 per cent lighter, reducing aircraft weight and fuel burn. Each year, the airline will also remove 27 million plastic lids, and other containers, supporting its drive towards greater sustainability and to reduce the use of single-use plastics by 80 per cent by 2022.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Originally Posted by Dn10

seatback inflight entertainment system is gone on some planes.
saving weight and forcing you to buy the Wi-Fi
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Where do they say they're introducing plastic cutlery?
csdf's personal experience - post 4.

We should all know by now that when an airline makes changes like these it's invariably to benefit the airline first and not the customers, despite the wording of any press release.
Bear4Asian likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.