Ramadan 2019

Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ramadan 2019

Guess I'll start this year's thread.

I'll be flying Etihad F and J during Ramadan this year and had some questions.

Flights
May 8th EY654 CAI > AUH > May 9th EY17 AUH > LHR

​​​​​​So I've been trying to read up on the Ramadan procedures and effects. Had a few questions still though.

1. Anyone heard if EY is sticking with past years and not serving alcohol at the AUH lounges during daylight hours? It would be great if they were a bit more like Emirates and at least offered alcohol unseen to traveling passengers.

2. I've read during flights past that when I fly between CAI and AUH there will be NO alcohol at all served. Is this correct? Honestly kind of a let down for my wife and I if true.

3. We will be overnighting in AUH on the night of the 8th. Our flight to LHR doesn't leave until 14:05. Now, you might call me an alcoholic, I just enjoy a drink before my flight. Are there any lounges in AUH that will be serving alcohol during daylight hours. We do have priority pass, AMEX lounge access, and obviously will be flying F on EY.

And of course I'll try to update my expirience after we fly.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Etihad Platinum
Most likely no alcohol in any of the lounges
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:19 pm

I assume that the lounge/airport is governed by the same licensing laws as licensed hotels in Abu Dhabi, which until last year were not allowed to serve alcohol during daylight hours, it was allowed at the last minute i think just a day or two before ramadan by the tourism authority, however no one was prepared, so many places did not.

This year will be the first year where it is allowed and there is time to plan accordingly. So i would be surprised if they did not serve alcohol this year in daylight hours as they will not be prevented from serving by any law. If they choose not to serve it is their choice, maybe a good way for them to save some cost for a month? Lets see next week.
NoY likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:03 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gabby2
Most likely no alcohol in any of the lounges
Where did you get this misinformation from?
Old May 5, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Simple solution , buy a duty free bottle before entering the UAE from Cairo ,,( in case during the short hop soberism takes place , and you become overwhelmed by the new cut backs in service ) Failing that the sports bar , downstairs at the Crowne Plaza , Hamden Street will be open as usual serving alcoholic becerages, and the live band is pretty good ...For the flight to Heathrow , just buy another bottle departing the UAE and help yourself . I don't think you would be challenged , especially in first , cheers
Old May 7, 2019, 1:43 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Saw EY posted something on Twitter about Ramadan so I figured I'd reach out to them. They got back with me this morning and said the following.

They will not be serving alcohol on my CAI - AUH flight in J.
They will not be serving alcohol during fasting hours at the AUH F Lounge.
They WILL be serving alcohol on my AUH - LHR flight in F

So, seems to be same as years past. Can't say I'm thrilled about an expensive premium cabin ticket not providing the usual services they offer including air and ground service. Not the end of the World, obviously, but to me seems like an excuse to mask cost savings measures. As there are many many Airlines that are based in Islamic/ Muslim countries that still offer full service.

I'll try to post my experiences in air and on the ground in a couple of days.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
You can drink in the lounge from 7:30pm to 3am.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.