AUH Midfield Terminal Opening

Old Apr 23, 19, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

AUH Midfield Terminal Opening

I know this has been delayed by several years and officially delayed until fourth quarter 2019 but has anyone heard an exact date through the grape vine? I hear a new duty free manager says in an article the inaugural flight is confirmed as December. Has anyone heard from an inside source as to the specific date? I will be departing 15 December so thought I might get to try out the new terminal and Etihad Lounges with a bit of luck.
Old May 1, 19, 12:58 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Etihad Silver
It's not going to open in December, reading between the lines of this article: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/tran...ening-says-ceo

I live very close to it. The good news is that the lights are on inside it every night and the cranes are pretty much all gone. The bad news is the roads around it and leading up to it are completely unfinished - they still have bridges under construction.

I used to know someone working on it. It's had.....issues. That's all I'm allowed to say
Old May 2, 19, 3:56 am

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, SPG Plat100, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim View Post
It's not going to open in December, reading between the lines of this article: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/tran...ening-says-ceo

I live very close to it. The good news is that the lights are on inside it every night and the cranes are pretty much all gone. The bad news is the roads around it and leading up to it are completely unfinished - they still have bridges under construction.

I used to know someone working on it. It's had.....issues. That's all I'm allowed to say
like cranes falling into it?

07.07.17 was the original date. Another typical top notch half assed project
Old May 2, 19, 6:14 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim View Post
The bad news is the roads around it and leading up to it are completely unfinished - they still have bridges under construction.

I
Tbh, the roads/bridges near the airport have been "under construction" of some sort or the other for the better part of the last 10 years.....
Old May 2, 19, 8:21 am

Also heard the inaugural flight will be in December, it would make sense i guess to do it on the National Day weekend, which is also the F1 weekend this year. But i don't think it will actually get actively used for some time after that.

Its massively overbuilt i hear mixed numbers but i think it's designed to handle something like 40m passengers a year. The current terminals handle much less than half of that number from what i understand they need to work out a way to make sure it does not feel like a ghost town once it opens.
Old May 2, 19, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB View Post
Tbh, the roads/bridges near the airport have been "under construction" of some sort or the other for the better part of the last 10 years.....
Well, yeah, but they ain't getting finished any time soon!
Old May 2, 19, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by BigDaz View Post

Its massively overbuilt i hear mixed numbers but i think it's designed to handle something like 40m passengers a year. The current terminals handle much less than half of that number from what i understand they need to work out a way to make sure it does not feel like a ghost town once it opens.
At least it won't be crowded. Especially if you can't actually get there because none of the roads are finished leading up to it.
Old Jun 23, 19, 5:10 pm

I just booked award tickets in bus, jnb/auh/ord for may 2020. Any chance it will be opened by then?
Old Jun 23, 19, 9:58 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
Dubai Expo (yaaawwwwnn) is to open October 2020...there may be a clue there
Old Jun 27, 19, 8:29 am

Programs: WY Gold, EK Gold, EY Silver
haven't we all given up on speculating when this thing opens?!?!

Surely, within 2 years of the opening promotional hype will begin
Old Jun 27, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: Etihad Guest - Gold
Originally Posted by EYrevanchist View Post
haven't we all given up on speculating when this thing opens?!?!

Surely, within 2 years of the opening promotional hype will begin
Never is the answer .
Old Jun 29, 19, 5:08 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Also heard the inaugural flight will be in December, it would make sense i guess to do it on the National Day weekend, which is also the F1 weekend this year. But i don't think it will actually get actively used for some time after that.

I would have thought it would be utter madness to try and open on F1 weekend one of the busiest periods I would guess. This is a project bedeviled by incompetence and problems I would open it at a quite period and make sure it is working as planned
Reds2011 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 10:12 am

there is a big difference between an inaugural flight and a full operation...
NoY likes this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 10:43 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
there is a big difference between an inaugural flight and a full operation...
Precisely. The "chatter" is that there will be a flight/flights by year-end but certainly not full ops.
Old Jul 22, 19, 6:33 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
This article showed up today. Progress perhaps?

https://www.constructionweekonline.com/projects-tenders/257129-adac-etihad-conduct-tests-at-abu-dhabis-midfield-terminal-complex

Search this Thread
Search Engine: